Fear of flying...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2015, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 06:50 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Fear of flying...
I am also afraid of flying, but I will do it. The loss of control over my environment makes me extremely anxious. I constantly have to remind myself of the odds, or distract myself. The last time I was on a flight with my gf we hit turbulence and I looked over and thought...ahh what if we die here. At least my last moments would be with you. Yeah I'm cheesy and dramatic.

I'm also against my own personal use of *perception altering* drugs to deal with problems that I should be able to "think" or "habit" myself out of. I'm not 100% on this as I have taken anxiety medicine once because I had to face my phobia. That stuff had a VERY strange effect on me.

I've only been on a plane 5 times in my life.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 07:17 PM
(09-11-2015 05:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I love to fly...have since I was a small child. Even the rough flights and a couple bumpy landings didn't diminish my love of flying. Take off and landing my favorite parts.

What I hate now is the hassle of air travel. It's just a pain. I would rather take a road trip. If I didn't have to put up with the BS at the airport and the ever-changing rules for what you can and can't pack and take onboard flying would still be a thrill for me.

My husband has only flown a couple times and is an absolute wreck over it. He had to resort to medication to keep from having some sort of breakdown.

Talk to your doctor about something to take for the anxiety.

I don't travel much any more. But I love a long, long road trip...especially by myself.

You love to fly, huh. I don't think I like you anymore. Tongue

I have taken several anti anxiety medications and what happens is that it actually makes the anxiety much worse. My therapist explained it this way: My body is sensing mortal danger, the medication is trying to suppress the fear and my body ups the ante and sends out more danger signals to override the medication.

I took five - 5 mg. xanax pills before a flight one time and it was as if I'd had ten cups of coffee. I was a wreck. I got to my seat before the flight and couldn't do it. I unbuckled my belt, got up and walked off the plane. I've done this twice so I need a different strategy. Sign.

It's so embarrassing. Blush I'm afraid I'll be one of those crazy women who lose it on a plane and I'll start screaming and everyone will whip out their Iphones and video me being dragged of the plane.Laughat

Sorry Loom. I took over your thread with my crazies.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-11-2015, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 10:13 PM by Loom.)
So sorry for not replying sooner. Posted this before heading to work and just got home x.x

Thank you all for the support and advice <3

I've thought of therapy, and will see if our airport offers a fear of flight program. I may even stop by just to see the planes take off and land, as dancefortwo says. Maybe seeing the planes NOT crumple into a fiery ball of death will help.

I think my fear stems from the lack of control. I'm somewhat the same way when riding in a car instead of driving, but it's not nearly as bad.

Statistics don't help me, either. I know that I have a higher chance of being crushed by a vending machine than die in a plane crash, but when I think about flying, my plane becomes that 1 in 11million. I just can't let go of that thought.

Besides, you have a higher chance walking away from a car crash in one piece. You'd be lucky to still be in one piece in the event of a plane crash. I think. Dunno the statistics on that. But eh.

I don't want to rely on medication. .5mg of Xanax normally turns me into a zombie, but a whole 5mg did little when I was seriously freaking out. Other than increase dependance. I had to wean off after that before I allowed myself any more.

Anyway, I did have one moment on that last flight that I enjoyed. It was when we cleared the clouds. I'm a bit of a weather freak and love staring at clouds and weather patterns. Most people think they're boring, I think they're mezmerizing. Seeing them from above is spectacular. If I ever fly again, I'll try my best to focus on that.

And have a couple drinks, since I legally can now Tongue

Again many thanks! And I forgive you, dancefortwo <3

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
09-11-2015, 11:05 PM
I've flown a couple of hundred thousand miles as a passenger beginning at age eight. I've always enjoyed the sensations, and very rarely do I get nervous.

Once, flying from Longview, TX to D/FW, our F-27 (small, twin-engined propeller plane) got caught in a thunderhead. Entering and leaving the convections was pitching the plane up and down, I swear I could hear the plane groaning under the stress. That was the only time I've ever been truly afraid aloft.
10-11-2015, 10:12 AM
I'll fly again when they put a functional steering wheel and brakes at my seat.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
10-11-2015, 10:35 AM
(10-11-2015 10:12 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'll fly again when they put a functional steering wheel and brakes at my seat.

The only comfort I take is that it's one of the most common phobias there is.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.