Fear of ghosts etc

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Fear of ghosts etc
In my childhood days I used to spend summer vacation with my cousin brother in our grandma's house.He would tell me about ghost stories with great details in a very serious fashion[he insisted they were real , he was witness in some stories].Grandma used to tell us some ghost stories too[ to teach us how the satan will attack us if we don't to church or do some bad things].I didn't take grandma seriously ,but I took my cousin's stories as real events.Due to that in my pre mid-teens I was terrified of ghosts.Then my fears lessened gradually such that I don't care about them in real life, but remnants of it still remain.I still have nightmares.
My cousin is not afraid of ghosts,he just liked to scare others.But knowing that I still can't get rid of it.

Q:Why my knowledge doesn't get rid of this fear? [its annoying and does no benefit]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2017, 07:38 AM
RE: Fear of ghosts etc
(09-05-2017 07:30 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  In my childhood days I used to spend summer vacation with my cousin brother in our grandma's house.He would tell me about ghost stories with great details in a very serious fashion[he insisted they were real , he was witness in some stories].Grandma used to tell us some ghost stories too[ to teach us how the satan will attack us if we don't to church or do some bad things].I didn't take grandma seriously ,but I took my cousin's stories as real events.Due to that in my pre mid-teens I was terrified of ghosts.Then my fears lessened gradually such that I don't care about them in real life, but remnants of it still remain.I still have nightmares.
My cousin is not afraid of ghosts,he just liked to scare others.But knowing that I still can't get rid of it.

Q:Why my knowledge doesn't get rid of this fear? [its annoying and does no benefit]

I used to believe that crap too growing up. There really are no such things. You can believe in the power of suggestion, and you can have false perceptions. In a very real neurological sense you can also have lucid hallucinations from PTSD stress, drug use and or mental illness, or even the gap filing power of suggestion. But it is still amounts to it being a misinterpretation of reality.

There are no such things as ghosts, spirits, demons ect ect. There are simply people not understanding how the their brain functions and how easily false perceptions can cause them to gap fill.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
09-05-2017, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 08:07 AM by jennybee.)
It's because your brain has been acclimated to believe and its now become a trigger for you. I must admit I do like staying in "haunted" inns, but that's because I like the romantic stories associated with said hauntings and not because I actually believe in ghosts. Tongue Ghosts are a part of our culture, part of our folklore. They're just stories that sometimes take on a life of their own.

Our brains are set up in such a way via evolution to see patterns where there are none (for example, seeing a face in the clouds). Our brains also like to fill in the blanks and anthropomorphize. For ex., house is creaking, something *must* be doing it instead of house just settling. And then you add in the power of suggestion through urban legends and cultural stories, and there you have your ghosts Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-05-2017, 07:50 AM
(09-05-2017 07:30 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  In my childhood days I used to spend summer vacation with my cousin brother in our grandma's house.He would tell me about ghost stories with great details in a very serious fashion[he insisted they were real , he was witness in some stories].Grandma used to tell us some ghost stories too[ to teach us how the satan will attack us if we don't to church or do some bad things].I didn't take grandma seriously ,but I took my cousin's stories as real events.Due to that in my pre mid-teens I was terrified of ghosts.Then my fears lessened gradually such that I don't care about them in real life, but remnants of it still remain.I still have nightmares.

The obvious answer is you cannot be perfectly rational. It's part of our makeup. I think a safety mechanism carried over from our past. Those who were wary of things that can sneak up on them, tended to survive and pass on their seed.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
09-05-2017, 07:59 AM
(09-05-2017 07:50 AM)tomilay Wrote:  

This

The obvious answer is you cannot be perfectly rational. It's part of our makeup. I think a safety mechanism carried over from our past. Those who were wary of things that can sneak up on them, tended to survive and pass on their seed.

This is because evolution in life is only concerned with getting to the point of reproduction, it doesn't care if that success is based on a falsehood. The Ancient Egyptians were successful for 3.000 years in their group survival, but none of that group think made their god/s real.

The good thing about our species is that we also can be aware of our flawed perceptions and test them over long periods of time to change our positions upon receiving better data.

Belief in the super natural is merely a superstition a reflection of humans false perceptions.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
09-05-2017, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 08:12 AM by sea_tiger.)
Thank you all for your feedbacks.I still don't know if they are real or not.
What do you say about Discovery channel's series -Haunting ,QUEEN MARY SHIP's swimming pool ghost(ghost was visible on Tv channel) , You tube videoes and people's personal experiences.
My fear seems to feed on it.
09-05-2017, 08:16 AM
(09-05-2017 08:06 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Thank you all for your feedbacks.I still don't know if they are real or not.
What do you say about Discovery channel's series -Haunting ,QUEEN MARY SHIP's swimming pool ghost(seen on Tv channel) , You tube videoes and people's personal experiences.

It's for entertainment value. Why do you think inn keeper's perpetuate the haunted inn myth? It gets them guests, it gives them a niche, it makes them stand out against the millions of other inns they're competing with for business. Wink

And again it goes back to the way our brains perceive and evaluate stimulus. I'm sure some people who say they've seen ghosts actually believe they have seen a ghost. And in their minds, they did. But not because there was an actual ghost, but because their brains *perceived* that to be the case through pattern making, anthropomorphizing, filling in the blanks, and the power of suggestion.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-05-2017, 09:00 AM
(09-05-2017 08:06 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Thank you all for your feedbacks.I still don't know if they are real or not.
What do you say about Discovery channel's series -Haunting ,QUEEN MARY SHIP's swimming pool ghost(ghost was visible on Tv channel) , You tube videoes and people's personal experiences.

We are giving you the facts, you really don't have anything to fear, but fear itself.

Human beings fall for bad claims all the time. The human brain is quite easily fooled and it takes evolutionary knowledge, knowledge of neurology and psychology and psychiatry to understand how our false perceptions can very easily fool you.

"personal experience" is not what we doubt, we doubt the person understands what is really going on.

It is really as simple as if you you don't know what is going on, and you are young enough, and your parents sell you Santa, you will believe it. It is also as easy as understanding how a kid in a dark kitchen during a Halloween party, if told the covered bowl of olives are eyeballs, they stick their hands in it not seeing what it really is, can be easily fooled.

In the history of our species, if you study enough of worldwide history, the "ghosts" or "spirits" have a tendency to reflect the societies the myths come out of.

A "spirit" in China is going to reflect their history of superstitions. A "spirit" in India is going to reflect their physical features. A "spirit" depicted in Germany is going to reflect that society..... and so on and so on.

But that does not make "ghosts" or "spirits" real anymore than the earth was flat just because a majority of humans thought that at one time long ago.

I would highly recommend "The God Delusion" By Richard Dawkins, along with watching the entire COSMOS 13 part series hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson, if you can view it on line.

The short answer is gap filling and false perceptions. But those flaws in our species can literally be explained by evolution.

09-05-2017, 09:04 AM
(09-05-2017 07:30 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Q:Why my knowledge doesn't get rid of this fear? [its annoying and does no benefit]

There is a quote from the movie "inception":
Quote:What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

Basically means the general "idea" of ghosts has stuck in your mind. When you recall it now, it makes you think of times you were scarred and make produce similar feelings today.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
09-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Crap. Try considering that media is profit driven and that Channel is taking advantage of gullible people to sell adds. That is not to say those claimants in that fake documentary don't truly believe what they "saw". It is crap because the shows producers are not scientists, and are not putting anything into a neutral lab.

The real explanations for people falsely claiming they saw a "ghost" are as following.

1. Physical and or mental stress, mental defect.
2. Power of suggestion. If you want to believe it you will.
3. Chemical imbalance in the brain, medicine, or addiction and or mental defect.
4. Flat out lying and don't care because they want attention.
5. Honestly believe what they see and at the same time honestly wrong because they lack understanding of what is really going on.

What has never happened in life, is an after life. Nobody sane argues a chimp having an afterlife, much less a cockroach or bacteria. Funny how humans only claim an after life about humans. Funny how they never have hallucinations of an ecoli ghost or eboli dragon haunting them. Their spirits always are human like or animal like with human qualities(aka anthropomorphic=projecting human qualities on non human fictional things)

That should indicate to you that the better explanation as to why humans believe those superstitions is because they don't know any better.