Fear of heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2016, 04:13 PM
RE: Fear of heaven
(24-09-2016 04:02 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 05:25 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'll admit that's one of my biggest issues, the idea of eternity is mind breaking.

Shai,

Eternity without a change of scene - that's heaven. Ohmy

D.

No, that's redundancy.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2016, 04:19 PM
(24-09-2016 04:13 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 04:02 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Shai,

Eternity without a change of scene - that's heaven. Ohmy

D.

No, that's redundancy.

OMM,

I shouldn't have to tell you this. Irony does not travel well on the interweb. Gasp
D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
24-09-2016, 07:02 PM
I didn't have the best family life. Back when I was a Christian, the people I knew talked mostly about heaven as being the place where you were forever reunited with your family. The problem was that I didn't even want to spend the next month with most of my family, let alone eternity. The eternal adoration of god also seemed to be its own brand of torment.

As I've gotten older, I've liked the idea of eternal anything less and less.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
24-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Aquinas said we get to see our enemies suffer in hell, when we're in heaven.
That might be fun, and at least break up the boredom.
Big Grin

(Oh wait, I don't have any enemies .... oh shit.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2016, 09:37 PM
(24-09-2016 09:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Aquinas said we get to see our enemies suffer in hell, when we're in heaven.
Big Grin

Werent Tertulian speaking similar bullshit about part of heavely bliss being seeing sinners suffer?

You must be pretty sick individual to think such. Also how it fits with love to other people dog only knows.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-09-2016, 12:47 AM
(24-09-2016 07:02 PM)julep Wrote:  I didn't have the best family life. Back when I was a Christian, the people I knew talked mostly about heaven as being the place where you were forever reunited with your family. The problem was that I didn't even want to spend the next month with most of my family, let alone eternity. The eternal adoration of god also seemed to be its own brand of torment.

As I've gotten older, I've liked the idea of eternal anything less and less.

julep,

If death brings just an absence, then we don't miss the things we have lost, because we are not there, and we don't have to cope with pain and struggle, because we are not there. Like you, I can see the benefits.

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
25-09-2016, 12:54 AM
(24-09-2016 09:37 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 09:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Aquinas said we get to see our enemies suffer in hell, when we're in heaven.
Big Grin

Werent Tertulian speaking similar bullshit about part of heavely bliss being seeing sinners suffer?

You must be pretty sick individual to think such. Also how it fits with love to other people dog only knows.

Szuchow,

You've reminded me of a joke.

Did you hear about the dyslexic, insomniac, agnostic? He was up all night wondering if there was a dog.

D.
[+] 3 users Like Dworkin's post
25-09-2016, 07:21 AM
(23-09-2016 04:19 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Mark Twain said something about the common conception of Heaven as containing everything a man hated and not a single thing that he liked. That about sums it up for me. Not much better than Hell if it's as they describe it.

Twain: "Singing hymns and waving palm branches through all eternity is pretty when you hear about it in the pulpit, but it's as poor a way to put in valuable time as a body could contrive."

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
26-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Big Grin

Angry Oh, yes, you do! Laugh out load

Aquinas must have been a real ass, if his idea of fun was seeing people suffer. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-09-2016, 07:29 PM
I've never once believed in heaven or been convinced of that. Probably my upbringing, honestly. I don't have a deconversion story or anything since I was raised in a secular home. I have no particular version of the afterlife to fear or dislike since they were all like equally unimportant to me throughout my life.