Federal government already fighting state's rights in marijuana legalization

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 03:52 PM
RE: Federal government already fighting state's rights in marijuana legalization
(08-11-2012 11:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm wondering if your OP was based on the paranoid ravings of one influenced by the pot or do you have citations to go along with this accusation against the evil Feds?

Living in Washington, I've yet to see convoys of DEA vans cruising the streets, rounding up little old ladies toking their joints. The Feds haven't made any responses yet to legalization. The word in the media is at best, they'll treat it like medical marijuana: turn an apathetic eye on the operations that stay strict to the regulations and bust those who violate state regs.

December 6, it will be legal to posses an ounce of weed for personal consumption. Plain and simple. The Feds can't change that. The details on growing and distributing is where the federal battle may get sticky. At this point the law makes possession legal but doesn't speak yet to details of how one is to acquire the wonder weed.

No they haven't done anything yet. But I've lived with this government for 30 years, I know what is to come. Through ambiguous law, they'll make it difficult at every turn to start any business relating to marijuana. They'll bottleneck progress and impede so often that people will give up on it. Then they can point to it and proclaim, "See! We told you this wouldn't work!" The drug companies and drug czars and anyone involved in the "war on drugs" are all deluded and powerful men. Anyone who has seen the Woody Harrelson narrated weed documentary or seen the movie Reefer Madness know that propaganda is their greatest tool. Anyways, it's nothing they've done, but they've already set their targets on it within days of the bill pass. If they do nothing, I'll rescind my complaint.

(08-11-2012 12:52 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  This is ridiculous.
Obama gets re-elected and the first thing that they discuss is about pot.

Shouldn't the debt, war, and education be first on the list?!

No, no, no. Don't do that. That expected right wing complaining about the issues selected right after election. As if whatever he does right after the election has any more importance than what he does all term long. If he had stopped by Taco Bell on his way home, would you be complaining that "THIS is what Nobama chose to do after being elected? Taco Bell?"

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Federal government already fighting state's rights in marijuana legalization
The wheels of weed acceptance in America is rolling like a train. They have been pretty damn good at slowing it, but you can't stop the train. Legalized marijuana is the future, it's only a matter of time. I hope by the time I have adult children they will smoke weed rather than drink alchohol, but I am still doubtful that the southern states will accept it by then, despite the south being huge pot producers. It is certainly tied in with the fervent religious dogma in my opinion. It doesn't matter that Jesus didn't say a thing about it...they believe he turned water into wine, but still think he condemns the use of alcohol. Why? 'Cause drugs are bad, and Jesus don't like bad things. It's kind of like the No True Scotsman fallacy.

For those unfamiliar with this fallacy, it goes like this.

Scotsman: Every Scotsman is brave.
Englishman: Well, Patrick, who is from Scotland is a coward.
Scotsman: Well then he isn't a true Scotsman then.

08-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Federal government already fighting state's rights in marijuana legalization
(08-11-2012 03:52 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 11:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm wondering if your OP was based on the paranoid ravings of one influenced by the pot or do you have citations to go along with this accusation against the evil Feds?

Living in Washington, I've yet to see convoys of DEA vans cruising the streets, rounding up little old ladies toking their joints. The Feds haven't made any responses yet to legalization. The word in the media is at best, they'll treat it like medical marijuana: turn an apathetic eye on the operations that stay strict to the regulations and bust those who violate state regs.

December 6, it will be legal to posses an ounce of weed for personal consumption. Plain and simple. The Feds can't change that. The details on growing and distributing is where the federal battle may get sticky. At this point the law makes possession legal but doesn't speak yet to details of how one is to acquire the wonder weed.

No they haven't done anything yet. But I've lived with this government for 30 years, I know what is to come. Through ambiguous law, they'll make it difficult at every turn to start any business relating to marijuana. They'll bottleneck progress and impede so often that people will give up on it. Then they can point to it and proclaim, "See! We told you this wouldn't work!" The drug companies and drug czars and anyone involved in the "war on drugs" are all deluded and powerful men. Anyone who has seen the Woody Harrelson narrated weed documentary or seen the movie Reefer Madness know that propaganda is their greatest tool. Anyways, it's nothing they've done, but they've already set their targets on it within days of the bill pass. If they do nothing, I'll rescind my complaint.

(08-11-2012 12:52 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  This is ridiculous.
Obama gets re-elected and the first thing that they discuss is about pot.

Shouldn't the debt, war, and education be first on the list?!

No, no, no. Don't do that. That expected right wing complaining about the issues selected right after election. As if whatever he does right after the election has any more importance than what he does all term long. If he had stopped by Taco Bell on his way home, would you be complaining that "THIS is what Nobama chose to do after being elected? Taco Bell?"

I don't disagree. I was just worried that Bemore was gonna start throwing Molotov cocktails at government buildings. Confused

I wouldn't be surprised to see The Man crack down on the pot, but as DL so eloquently put it, the winds of weed are changing in America. I think any repressing of the will of the people will have consequences. The problem is, as a stoner, I can't get too worked up about protesting. Smokin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
(08-11-2012 04:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  For those unfamiliar with this fallacy, it goes like this.

Scotsman: Well then he isn't a true Scotsman then.

Don't you mean:

Scotsman: Nyah, I'll keek ye in the dondeen, ye numpty headed sassanack! (Fistfight ensues)

...I'm American. I only know the world through stereotypes.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
There is lots of money in putting non-violent citizens behind bars for trivial matters, such as drugs. Thus the owners of this country make sure that the feds step in to ensure the status quo does not get changed.

Innocent people get raped in prison, but they make a few $$, so its ok. Ahh the American dream!
08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Why is big tobacco not behind weed? Do they not see the $$$$ potential?
weed is the new tobacco, it's no longer cool to smoke cigs any more, people are giving up.
But weed... the young people and old people alike love that shit. How hard is it to go from making cigs to making joints? none. Why do you think "Bic" (company) make cheap plastic pens and cig lighters? because they're both cheap plastic things it's not hard to go from one to the other.
Seriously, CEO of big tobacco needs to get his ass into gear and get behind making that shit legal.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Re: RE: Federal government already fighting state's rights in marijuana legalization
(08-11-2012 06:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why is big tobacco not behind weed? Do they not see the $$$$ potential?
weed is the new tobacco, it's no longer cool to smoke cigs any more, people are giving up.
But weed... the young people and old people alike love that shit. How hard is it to go from making cigs to making joints? none. Why do you think "Bic" (company) make cheap plastic pens and cig lighters? because they're both cheap plastic things it's not hard to go from one to the other.
Seriously, CEO of big tobacco needs to get his ass into gear and get behind making that shit legal.

Because they don't stand to profit or have the resource control.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
08-11-2012, 07:34 PM
(08-11-2012 07:20 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 06:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why is big tobacco not behind weed? Do they not see the $$$$ potential?

Because they don't stand to profit or have the resource control.
WTF do you mean they don't stand to profit? Of course they stand to profit. They're big tobacco.
They can buy weed in larger quantities and hence cheaper. They can manufacture mass packets of joints just like do cigs. They could sell it like rolling tobacco, just package and sell it as is.
They can sell it far cheaper then some small corner store.
How do you think Wal Mart got so successful? Because they're big and can sell shit cheaper then the little guy.
Plus, they already have the shelving in stores, they could sell this shit at the grocery store next to all the cigs. People like convenience and if they can buy an ounce conveniently over the counter while doing their groceries instead of making another trip to the local weed store with the creepy stoner clerk, then they're going to.

I'm sure there is a huge market for stressed the fucked out adults and not just teens and undergrads.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-11-2012, 07:50 PM
(08-11-2012 07:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 07:20 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Because they don't stand to profit or have the resource control.
WTF do you mean they don't stand to profit? Of course they stand to profit. They're big tobacco.
They can buy weed in larger quantities and hence cheaper. They can manufacture mass packets of joints just like do cigs. They could sell it like rolling tobacco, just package and sell it as is.
How do you think Wal Mart got so successful? Because they're big and can sell shit cheaper then the little guy.
Plus, they already have the shelving in stores, they could sell this shit at the grocery store next to all the cigs. People like convenience and if they can buy an ounce conveniently over the counter while doing their groceries instead of making another trip to the local weed store with the creepy stoner clerk, then they're going to.

I'm sure there is a huge market for stressed the fucked out adults and not just teens and undergrads.
Muffs, you may have FINALLY hit upon your business plan!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-11-2012, 07:58 PM
(08-11-2012 07:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 07:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  WTF do you mean they don't stand to profit? Of course they stand to profit. They're big tobacco.

Muffs, you may have FINALLY hit upon your business plan!
It's not legal here.