Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
24-09-2016, 07:53 AM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(23-09-2016 12:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  If skin color isn't the missing ingredient, then I'm not sure what is.

It's always the darkies fault. And the Jews. It's always the darkies and the Jews.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-09-2016, 09:25 AM
(24-09-2016 03:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 11:07 PM)SYZ Wrote:  My apologies for taking this OP even further off-topic, but it seems to have morphed into a 'Tomasia versus the rest of us' thread. And I can't resist the challenge LOL.

[Image: USA_2009._Percent_of_adult_males_incarce...nicity.png]
Prison Inmates at Midyear 2009 - Statistical Tables (NCJ 230113) U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.

The incarceration rate of black males was over six times higher than that of white males, with a rate of 4,749 per 100,000 US residents.
Kouzmin, Alexander (2012). State Crimes Against Democracy: Political Forensics in Public Affairs.

Undecided

Well... now that this is a race debate... Does that indicate (a) black males commit more crimes because they're just more violent ( b) black males are disproportionately discriminated against by the justice system © black males do commit more crimes because they tend to be stuck in lower-class neighbourhoods and areas, have less access to education, less job opportunities etc.

IMO, and this is just opinion, it's probably a combination of b and c. Although I'm sure Birdie will be along shortly to insist that it's (a). This is where Shai Hulud would be a useful guy - he lectures on prisons and incarceration etc.

I thought Tomasia was of Indian background.

Tomasia, what is your actual racial background?
24-09-2016, 09:56 AM
(22-09-2016 11:54 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 02:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Fuck, everybody. I'm sorry I started this slugging match. I can see from the quotes that this is still going on.

My original statement was trying to convey that you don't say that kind of thing to people in real life because you're likely to meet someone who'll try to choke you out (or whatever) for talking that way. At least that's the way it is where I grew up in the deep South. This escalated from there.

It's really very simple. I was not in for check fraud, I haven't used checks in 20 years, and I have no idea where he even got that idea. Likely from a similar-named person-- assuming he really found anything like that and isn't just trying to pick whatever low-level crime came to mind.

Drug cases aren't a big deal (to anyone but the defendant) unless a large amount of drugs are found and/or a big raid is conducted... sensational things that news people like to focus on. Neither was present in my case. In fact, I walked into the courthouse and was arrested there, without fanfare. My case consisted of them trying to make a couple of tomato plant hydroponic grow boxes--to be fair, I was trying to develop a system for growing weed for medical patients, in home, but wasn't actually growing it at the time--into a major growing operation, based on the testimony of my ex-GF, who asked for and got a gag order to "protect" herself, so there was little for the reporter (one, once) in the courtroom to report upon. After conviction, there was a little blurb in the local paper, but as I said, it wasn't a paper that put its stuff online at the time, and when I got out and looked, I couldn't even find my own case. I suspect it's on microfiche, but even I don't care enough to go to the library and look through reams of files on that. Maybe they'll digitize, someday, and we can all read about it. But all it'll say is that I got convicted and was given a maximum sentence.

Cases being overturned, which occurs all the time, are never reported on unless either the lawyers behind the case (when a major group such as the Innocence Project) push it to the media or it's a fairly major case like a guy who did like 25 years for a murder or rape he didn't commit. Most overturned cases are lucky to get a paragraph on page six, next to the ads for JC Penny's new summer dress sale, because no one wants to hear that the system makes errors-- they need to believe in the system or else it unlocks a lot of questions people would rather not consider on a serious level. They'd rather think that the reality of the justice system is like the TV show Law & Order.

It's really simple: they built a case out of nothing, cheated to win (not uncommon in small courtrooms), and tried to pressure me into giving up names so they could go after bigger fish. It was a "guy who grows marijuana" case, not a big deal even at the height of the drug war, and they buried me with a max sentence as a penalty for not playing ball. Again, this happens all the time, daily, everywhere in the USA. To expect it all to be reported in the sensational fashion associated with major busts is ludicrous. Maybe if it had been meth or one of the other propaganda-useful chemicals that everyone is scared of, sure. The worst part of it is that they dig through your life-- your computers, your property, interviewing friends and family, everything... and they put it in a big report called a "discovery" that they hand to you to go over in your cell, seeing just how thoroughly their investigators can pull your life apart. It's possibly the single most horrifying part of the ordeal.

When I got out, I asked the lawyer handling my countersuit to keep things low-key, and not to make a media stink about it because I just wanted to restart my life and get back to trying to raise the son whose life I had missed for its first nine years. The damage they did was immeasurable.

Now privacy is paramount to me, and I still have a lot of shit I went through (as they put me in the awful conditions they did so they could try to extract info from me by way of a "plea deal" I didn't even have the ability to give in to) that I need to process. It's beyond despicable to me that this guy tried to dig like that, like they did. I guess he considers anyone who's ever been to prison fair game, still seeing me as a criminal rather than a person who just wants to try to get all this shit out of his head and not have to live with the recurring nightmares.

And I did put three guys in the infirmary. It wasn't the first time I was attacked, but it was the worst. It's amazing what you're capable of when you're fighting for your life in a confined space, full of adrenaline, and you're being stabbed with a screwdriver.

These are the scars I still carry from that attack:

[Image: wounds_zpsjyjituca.jpg]

(Apologies for the lighting and angle... you wouldn't believe how hard it is to take a photo of your own shoulderblade.)

They don't show up well in the picture, but they're pretty nasty looking scars, up close, that I now carry. The physical ones, that is. The eternal vulnerability to what Tomasia (and any other vicious person like him) did will linger much longer than the fear I felt while being stabbed.

This is the last I'm going to say on this subject.

The resolution on that photo is really unacceptable. I can't tell if I'm looking at a bullet hole, the puncture wound from screwdriver stabbing, or a case of bad acne.

No, I'm afraid you'll have to obtain higher quality photographs (preferably taken by a qualified medical profession), and medical reports of the incident in question. If you find that to be a bit too tedious to put together just to prove yourself to a forum community, then don't worry! I'm sure Tomasia can pull it together by simply calling your doctor, pretending to be you.

Maybe because of the poor lighting. Stretching the phone camera's metering capabilities. I can't stand phone cameras.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
25-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Hehehe Smile Tommy's gone off to sulk. Few days later he'll be back hoping everyone's forgotten.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(23-09-2016 01:54 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 12:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Aliza response indicate that wouldn't be the case at all, she sees a nosey neighbor curious as to why someone who used to live next to him was in jail, and Googled it, as harmless, though he should have minded his buisness.

If skin color isn't the missing ingredient, then I'm not sure what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else notice what an antisemite Tomasia is? Rolleyes

An antisemite, and as result of being dark skinned, likely violent and a potential rapist of white women, who should be holding their purses tight if they're ever in an elevator together, and keep their pepper spray on the ready.

"no, no, I don't think he's violent, or a possible rapist, because he's dark skinned but because out of curiosity he looked up why some guy spent a decade in jail. You know clear signs of a sexual predator."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-09-2016, 06:49 AM
(23-09-2016 02:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  My psychic powers tell me that Tommy won't see the irony of your post and instead will focus on flapping his gums about irrelevant shit again.

Called it

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
25-09-2016, 05:22 PM
More evidence supporting my hypothesis that belief or non-belief has a genetic component:

". . . in one study of adopted twins, the researchers looked at religious belief in a number of adopted twins raised apart. They found exactly the same result--greater similarity in identical twin pairs, even if raised apart. The conclusion is unavoidable: faith is definitely influenced by genes."

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/20...t-god-gene

My new revised hypothesis is that a mutation of the MTHFR gene might cause low dopamine levels responsible for mind-blind atheism.

So who here considers themselves a mind-blind atheist and would like to get tested for the mutation?
25-09-2016, 05:29 PM
I have been in touch with Dr Justin Barrett and he notified me about a major research project on atheism and agnosticism being conducted in the UK by a team including Jonathan Lanman, Miguel Farias and Jonathan Jong. Should shed even more light on this subject.
25-09-2016, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 01:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-09-2016 05:22 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  More evidence supporting my hypothesis that belief or non-belief has a genetic component:

". . . in one study of adopted twins, the researchers looked at religious belief in a number of adopted twins raised apart. They found exactly the same result--greater similarity in identical twin pairs, even if raised apart. The conclusion is unavoidable: faith is definitely influenced by genes."

My new revised hypothesis is that a mutation of the MTHFR gene might cause low dopamine levels responsible for mind-blind atheism.

So who here considers themselves a mind-blind atheist and would like to get tested for the mutation?

Proves nothing. The environment where they are raised has to be accounted for, in detail. What exactly is your point ? There are no genes for complex LEARNED concepts. Thanks for proving you have no clue about genetics or Neuro-science.
IF, by some chance you were to prove this crap, it's meaningless drivel, AND you have not demonstrated it's a good thing. People have all sorts or inherited mental disorders. Religious belief could just be another one.

You got nothing. You are an idiot fraud.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-09-2016, 11:57 PM
(25-09-2016 05:22 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  More evidence supporting my hypothesis that belief or non-belief has a genetic component:

Happy to agree that the propensity towards "faith" is genetic - hasn't this one been dealt with before? Some have it, some do not.

So, if the propensity is there, say, it is the predominant culture that depends whether the object of that faith is some imaginary entity or the local shaman, or the animals, or a tree, or a rock, or . . .

Each has its value for the individual but no "faith" is any more valid than another to the objective observer.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.