Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
26-09-2016, 09:35 AM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(26-09-2016 09:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 05:22 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  So who here considers themselves a mind-blind atheist and would like to get tested for the mutation?

You gonna pay for it? I'd like a complete genetic profile please.

Yup, sign me up too if it costs me nothing.

Happy to advance science and happy if my understanding is corrected.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2016, 09:49 AM
(26-09-2016 09:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 05:22 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  So who here considers themselves a mind-blind atheist and would like to get tested for the mutation?

You gonna pay for it? I'd like a complete genetic profile please.

Don't be silly. The test will be Randy praying to God to ask if you're a mind-blind atheist. Nothing so prone to error and interpretation as a genetic test to confirm a hypothesis allegedly based on genetics.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-09-2016, 10:34 AM
(26-09-2016 09:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 09:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You gonna pay for it? I'd like a complete genetic profile please.

Don't be silly. The test will be Randy praying to God to ask if you're a mind-blind atheist. Nothing so prone to error and interpretation as a genetic test to confirm a hypothesis allegedly based on genetics.
Good point, md, what use is science if it can't prove god done it all?

After just a bit of massaging maybe . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
26-09-2016, 11:34 AM

Well look what the cat dragged in...

The last time you were around I called you a liar. Called you out for no less than Seven (7) outright lies. With quotes and citations.

(20-09-2016 06:55 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Holy shit Randy! Seven outright lies!!!
Proven, in some cases, with your own words.

Care to respond?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
26-09-2016, 12:40 PM
@RocketSurgeon

62 million for Stalin? I think that you might have switched him with Mao as Stalin death count is lower going by what Timothy Snyder wrote*. Oleg Khlevniuk estimate (Stalin: new biography of a dictator) is higher in regard to Great Hunger if I recall correctly but numbers still don't add; they would fit better with Mao and his Great Leap death toll of which is estimated by Frank Dikotter (Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958–62) as circa 45 million**.

*http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2011/03/10/hitler-vs-stalin-who-killed-more/

**http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/12/16/opinion/16iht-eddikotter16.html

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-09-2016, 01:29 PM
(26-09-2016 12:40 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @RocketSurgeon

62 million for Stalin? I think that you might have switched him with Mao as Stalin death count is lower going by what Timothy Snyder wrote*. Oleg Khlevniuk estimate (Stalin: new biography of a dictator) is higher in regard to Great Hunger if I recall correctly but numbers still don't add; they would fit better with Mao and his Great Leap death toll of which is estimated by Frank Dikotter (Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958–62) as circa 45 million**.

That's very interesting. I did not realize the numbers had been revised downward so sharply. I mean, 6-9 million people killed by Stalin's regime is still monstrous, but it's nowhere near the figures we estimated during the Cold War, and which Christians have put into "memetic repeat mode" in order to bash us.

That's part of the problem with this calculation, though... how do we determine which deaths are "due to ideology" and which deaths are "due to apathy and/or incompetence"?

It particularly matters if you count death by starvation in the wake of a collapsed system and official apathy toward "outsider" groups (like what Stalin did to the Ukranians when he took their wheat and sealed their borders, not realizing it would kill so many), and to what degree you count those deaths as part of a genocide campaign. If you eliminate "death by hunger and/or disease" from those numbers, you get a much smaller total of "executed in the name of communist atheism" by both Mao and Stalin.

My point before was simply that when you take the actions of these guys, even at their worst estimates, you still get an impact on the overall population in about equal proportion to religious warfare, not a greater impact as suggested by most Christians when they bring this up.

That's the whole problem with this (favored) line of argument from Christians, with their "100 million deaths due to atheism" argument... because if we start counting those sorts of deaths in the total, as opposed to just "lined 'em up and shot 'em" executions done in the name of the state-religion of communism, then we'd have to also count the starvation and deprivation deaths of every Native American that the "good Christians" allowed to sicken, starve, and even marched across the entire country on the way to concentration camps Reservations if they wouldn't adopt Christianity and assimilate into our culture. We could also count the deaths of Chinese and Mexican laborers in the "American Southwest", which we captured in our invasion of the Mexican Empire. It's how we built our empire, and it's how the Soviets and Red Chinese built theirs.

The real question is... when will the "You atheists killed 100 million people!!" idiotic trope die out? *sigh*

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-09-2016, 01:36 PM
(26-09-2016 01:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The real question is... when will the "You atheists killed 100 million people!!" idiotic trope die out? *sigh*

When we've nailed the last priest to the last king... er... when the last king has nailed the last priest? Something like that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
26-09-2016, 01:41 PM
(26-09-2016 01:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 01:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The real question is... when will the "You atheists killed 100 million people!!" idiotic trope die out? *sigh*

When we've nailed the last priest to the last king... er... when the last king has nailed the last priest? Something like that.

Damn. So far all we've got is the King of Pop and a bunch of priests nailing little boys. Not even halfway there. Merde.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-09-2016, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 02:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
NOT ONE of these scholars is doing anything, even remotely like this simpleton's pretend "genetic" bullshit. "Being in touch with" means he wrote them a letter which they tossed in the garbage.

The MTHFR gene is just this *Ruggles clown* pretending he knows something about genetics. It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the production of dopamine, AND he has proposed no way that reduced dopamine would lead to nonbelief, or that this gene would alter the production of dopamine.
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR

"Inside the brain "Inside the brain dopamine acts as a neurotransmitter. It is a type of chemical released by nerve cells to communicate with other nerve cells. The role of dopamine is categorized into two following groups according to their importance.
•High level functions; these include motor controls, motivation, arousal, cognition and reward motivated behavior.
•Low level functions; these include lactation (milk production), sexual gratification (orgasm) and nausea."
http://medlicker.com/789-low-dopamine-ca...nt-options

http://evolution-institute.org/article/f...ligiosity/

http://www.icea.ox.ac.uk/about-us/people...an-lanman/
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/epiphenom/2...rrett.html
https://miguelfarias.co.uk/about-me/

In short, NONE of the people mentioned have posited a gene that causes belief. Not One. And in fact, Rug Rat mentioned a gene whose function is known, that has NOTHING to do with dopamine. He has not posited a pathway that dopamine might enable belief or non-belief. He's a quack-sharlatan, pretending he knows about science. In fact Ruggles is the typical theist fraud bullshitter, who tries to sell his snake oil to the non-skeptic.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-09-2016, 01:59 PM
(26-09-2016 01:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 12:40 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @RocketSurgeon

That's very interesting. I did not realize the numbers had been revised downward so sharply. I mean, 6-9 million people killed by Stalin's regime is still monstrous, but it's nowhere near the figures we estimated during the Cold War, and which Christians have put into "memetic repeat mode" in order to bash us.

That's part of the problem with this calculation, though... how do we determine which deaths are "due to ideology" and which deaths are "due to apathy and/or incompetence"?

It particularly matters if you count death by starvation in the wake of a collapsed system and official apathy toward "outsider" groups (like what Stalin did to the Ukranians when he took their wheat and sealed their borders, not realizing it would kill so many), and to what degree you count those deaths as part of a genocide campaign. If you eliminate "death by hunger and/or disease" from those numbers, you get a much smaller total of "executed in the name of communist atheism" by both Mao and Stalin.

My point before was simply that when you take the actions of these guys, even at their worst estimates, you still get an impact on the overall population in about equal proportion to religious warfare, not a greater impact as suggested by most Christians when they bring this up.

That's the whole problem with this (favored) line of argument from Christians, with their "100 million deaths due to atheism" argument... because if we start counting those sorts of deaths in the total, as opposed to just "lined 'em up and shot 'em" executions done in the name of the state-religion of communism, then we'd have to also count the starvation and deprivation deaths of every Native American that the "good Christians" allowed to sicken, starve, and even marched across the entire country on the way to concentration camps Reservations if they wouldn't adopt Christianity and assimilate into our culture. We could also count the deaths of Chinese and Mexican laborers in the "American Southwest", which we captured in our invasion of the Mexican Empire. It's how we built our empire, and it's how the Soviets and Red Chinese built theirs.

The real question is... when will the "You atheists killed 100 million people!!" idiotic trope die out? *sigh*

Germany was a Christian nation, which elected Hitler. Russia was also a Christian nation (Russian Orthodox) which permitted Stalin to lead some people around by the nose. He actually killed almost no one. The children brought up in the Russian Orthodox Church may have killed millions. Stalin was a busy guy. He didn't go around killing anyone.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post