Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-09-2016, 02:46 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(28-09-2016 02:44 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Where is Kingsy anyway? He dun disappeart?

He did have his house destroyed by a flood just a few weeks ago. He might be a little busy dealing with that situation.

Must be all that praying to the wrong God Consider

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Or his God didn't like him talking to us ungodly ones!

Sorry, it is no joke for the poor man and his missus.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
28-09-2016, 03:00 PM
(28-09-2016 02:54 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Or his God didn't like him talking to us ungodly ones!

Ach, you gotta make jokes about this kinda shit IMO. No one died. These days that's the standard by which I rate a tragedy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-09-2016, 03:25 PM
(28-09-2016 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 02:54 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Or his God didn't like him talking to us ungodly ones!

Ach, you gotta make jokes about this kinda shit IMO. No one died. These days that's the standard by which I rate a tragedy.

Yep, he's got the insurance kicking in and the funding program is helping. I'm more happy for him that his health & head situation isn't off the rails. Stuff is just Stuff. Health is a necessity. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-09-2016, 09:08 PM
(26-09-2016 08:20 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You know, the funny thing is that he's not entirely wrong about a lot of this stuff. The facts are there... it's just that his religious ideology warps how his mind interprets the facts until it's a twisted pretzel of its original shape.

No, he isn't. The problem is that he doesn't care about the science. What he cares about is his ideology and his book. He's making mock-science-flavoured snake oil for a book with the sub-text "Atheists are piteous freaks of nature."

It's your typical cherry-picking that we've come to love from the creationists. Pluck whatever agrees with my preconceptions from a vast pool of scientific information. Ignore anything to the contrary, hang the consequences, wire it together with presupposition, pulp it and spoon-feed it to gullible idiots.

Here's a few predictions for Randy's book, should it ever disgrace the printed page:

- The word "theory" will feature prominently. There will be a brief technical disclaimer that in Randispeak "theory" = "hypothesis" or would if he had even that much. The paragraph explaining this picky point will be buried in the intro while "theory" will be used throughout the text.

- It's hardly a leap, but Randy will continue to stretch a propensity for superstition well past its breaking point and into theism from birth. He has nothing without that. Causation and correlation are going to end up in some very, very strange relationships.

- Atheists will be described as poor, disabled mutants of the original functioning theist. The fact that Randy is describing theists as near-schizoid dopamine junkies with dysfunctional flight reflexes will never be mentioned. Mind-blind theists scribbling down the jibberish of neural misfiring misinterpretted by over-active pattern recognition simply don't sell. Terms such as "agency assignment" will be used shorn of their context of "incorrect agency identification."

- Wild leaps will be made associating atheism, mutation and any of a host of undesirable traits. We've only had a sampler so far. Some technical-sounding jargon will be bantered about including the names of some genes. Historical figures will be paraded forth and diagnosed post-mortem as suffering condition X, a mutation that led them to reject god.

- The broader theological implications will be ignored as always. Ironic that it takes atheists to point out the fundamentals to the Fundamentalists. More than a few of us have mentioned that Randy's ravings have some serious consequences for god and Christianity. That will be ignored entirely. Randy's readers don't need deeper thoughts than "Atheism = freakish mutant!"

- As putrid as the tripe that Randy will almost certainly adulterate paper with will be, what will be the ripest turd is what is missing. A careful reader, something Randy will have precisely zero of, will note that Randy will never actually identify a single individual who is physiologically incapable of belief. What his book describes is a figment of his imagination. It may well exist in the real world but since Randy's pimping the truth for a quick buck he hasn't actually done any of the science necessary to formulate even a hypothesis. He might as well be carrying on about dragons and unicorns.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
28-09-2016, 09:15 PM
(27-09-2016 07:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ...
I had not considered that angle, but you're right. A genetic inability to believe would definitely conflict with the idea in Christian theology that anyone can be saved, and that salvation is a transformation of any sort of sinner into a "saved" person.

"Yeah, b-b-but ... EPIGENETICS!" sayeth the lord.

Big Grin

By the way, has anyone ever noticed that 'Creationism' is an anagram of ...
Romanticise
(and Satiric Omen)

And Creationist is an anagram of Erotic Stain.

Just sayin'

Smartass

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Hello. This is my first time posting and even visiting here. I must say at the outset that I am not an atheist but a Christian theist. However, most of my friends are atheists and I enjoy discussing logic and reason with them and even engaging in some friendly debates from time to time with mutual respect.

I have a tremendous interest in science .........
Can a human, who does not believe in false gods, called "atheist"?
Friends, please join the scientific revolution:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-candidate
02-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Just when you thought it coldn't get worse.

Nice cross-post Borg. Please don't do that. It's frowned upon.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
02-10-2016, 11:37 AM
(02-10-2016 11:01 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Hello. This is my first time posting and even visiting here. I must say at the outset that I am not an atheist but a Christian theist. However, most of my friends are atheists and I enjoy discussing logic and reason with them and even engaging in some friendly debates from time to time with mutual respect.

I have a tremendous interest in science .........
Can a human, who does not believe in false gods, called "atheist"?
Friends, please join the scientific revolution:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-candidate

dafuq? The last post in that thread wasn't even a half hour ago. dafuq?

#sigh