Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
10-09-2016, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 02:54 PM by Gloucester.)
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(10-09-2016 02:34 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 02:16 PM)tomilay Wrote:  How about this guy? I could be convinced about this guy. I am told they are so close to us they can tell us apart as individuals by face. You walk into his room, leave. Someone else walks in. And he knows this is a different guy. Not from the smell or dress. But the face.

[Image: 03-bonobo-aka-pygmy-chimpanzee-670.jpg]

I think that you may have missed the joke. The antelope pictured above is a bongo. I am related to it but only very distantly given that it's a bovine and I'm a primate.

Bonobos I have no problem with, but that isn't the typo that Gloucester made.

That and at this point I'm pretty much discussing anything but the OP since anything else makes more sense.

How's your favourite football team doing then?

Got any ideas for cheap but interesting/unusual xmas presents?

Why does my right arm ache?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 02:58 PM
(10-09-2016 02:34 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 02:16 PM)tomilay Wrote:  How about this guy? I could be convinced about this guy. I am told they are so close to us they can tell us apart as individuals by face. You walk into his room, leave. Someone else walks in. And he knows this is a different guy. Not from the smell or dress. But the face.

I think that you may have missed the joke. The antelope pictured above is a bongo. I am related to it but only very distantly given that it's a bovine and I'm a primate.

That and at this point I'm pretty much discussing anything but the OP since anything else makes more sense.

Got ya. I think we are agreed the OP does not warrant a thoughtful response.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
10-09-2016, 03:09 PM
(10-09-2016 02:58 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 02:34 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I think that you may have missed the joke. The antelope pictured above is a bongo. I am related to it but only very distantly given that it's a bovine and I'm a primate.

Got ya. I think we are agreed the OP does not warrant a thoughtful response.

Edited to ssy: I agree!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
10-09-2016, 03:12 PM
(10-09-2016 02:29 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  

Wow! That's better than I can achieve some days!

Wink

OP would conclude that you lack the belief gene. Conversely Bongo is a theist.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
10-09-2016, 03:21 PM
(10-09-2016 02:58 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Got ya. I think we are agreed the OP does not warrant a thoughtful response.

I was hoping to steer the thread back onto the discussion of the proper way to stack dead hookers in a car trunk. They do make for "interesting/unusual xmas presents".

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-09-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm going to read threw the rest I sure someone already covered this already or at least better then I ever could. But my initial thoughts are.

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  2. Theism is the default position. We are all born believers. Evolution has caused us to be this way due to its survival advantage.

Belief is accepting that a statement is true or that something exists. But doesn't necessary mean that that statement is true. As a baby information is coming at you a million miles an hour. You have no understanding of the way things are and are constantly learning.

I think about those baby videos you can find online. When the parent gives the baby a lemon for the first time. They don't know what it will be sour, they don't even know what sour is. But they basic understanding is that when these big people give me something I should put it in my mouth. Babys put just about everything in their mouths because their learning the world around them. They don't have a concept if something is dangerous, poisonous, or even gross. At least until they learn it eather threw teaching or experince.

So when Mom or Dad give baby a lemon, and makes the yummy sound. Baby believes it to be yummy. Until they put it in their mouths then the get a big surprise.

[Image: baby-eat-lemon.gif]

Now this also dosn't mean that they wont eventually like it. or not learn from the first go about. But i'm sure you man even accept that just because someone believes something doesn't mean it's right or true.

Now how you can make a claim that babies automatically believe in a being that creates all of existence and wants to diktat their lives, I have no idea. Let alone the one that is inscribed in the bible. That has to to be learned.

How else would it happen that just about every child believes in the same god their parents do? Maybe not in the same exsat way as just about every believer (including my former self) that I've meet has different defintion and perspective on what God or gods are.

One of my earlist memories was the first time I went into a church for the first time. I remember it because it was traumatic. I was maybe 4 or 5, and my Sunday school class and myself were being lead into the main chapel I was the last one threw the door and they closed on my figures because I was in awh of the size and not paying attention. I screamed bloody murder and the teacher told me to be quiet because I was in Gods house. I looked around for the guy to see if he had a band-aid to make my hand feel better. But didn't see anyone. I didn't know what they were talking about when I was going to those classes. I was just having fun with other kids my age. But days turned to months months into years. Church on Sunday, CCD on Tuesdays, prayer at the dinner table, prayer before going to bed. Eventually it because routine and with out any insight from a different perspective you're stuck with the information you're given.

So let's pretend that your hypothesis is correct. that babies and some tapped information about "god/s" How could we ever know they are being untaught the truth? That religions are poisoning the well of this all natural information.

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  3. Atheopaths lack a belief in God. They are "born that way." Their "agency detector" is broken. Studies have, in fact, demonstrated that theists see patterns that don't exist and atheists miss patterns that do exist. Their "pattern recognition software," so to speak, has been corrupted.

I've taken the point to underline something you glanced over.

I would like to see this study that you found this infromation from if you could please supply a link.

But from the foot note you presented they didn't say that the theists saw all the patterns ether. Just that they added one's that weren't there.

What can we gather from that?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
10-09-2016, 03:50 PM
(10-09-2016 02:50 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  How's your favourite football team doing then?

It looks like they won't make the play-offs this year but I suppose that's what happens when you hold practices in an active volcano.

Quote:Got any ideas for cheap but interesting/unusual xmas presents?

Energy crystals. Not that New Age shit, I'm talking the real thing here. The USSR used RTGs (radiothermal generators) to power automated lighthouses on some of there more desolate frontiers. Metal scavengers have been stripping them of their shielding leaving behind the radioactive cores. See page 6 of this cheerful report for some cautionary tales. My favorite is the three woodsmen who carried a pair of them out on their backs. The active ingredient is typically Strontium-90. Get some of that and recrystallize it as strontianite. Energy crystals that actually glow! Side effects may include pets and children that glow, holes burned in your coffee table/floor/children, coma and death.

The decorative urn line of kitchen storage containers. Great fun for disturbing your friends and even better when you invite the JWs in for tea and cookies. Not for people with poor organizational skills least you get a double scoop of cremains in your coffee.

The Roomba lawn mower, because nothing says hilarity like a robot with high-speed rotating blades that bumps into and runs over things at random.

Quote:Why does my right arm ache?

Are you holding the world on your shoulders? Have you been shot? Is something eating it? Phantom pain?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
10-09-2016, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 04:23 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(10-09-2016 02:16 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 02:01 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I ain't related to no Bongo!

[Image: bongo-animal-picture.jpg]

How about this guy? I could be convinced about this guy. I am told they are so close to us they can tell us apart as individuals by face. You walk into his room, leave. Someone else walks in. And he knows this is a different guy. Not from the smell or dress. But the face.

Their similarity to us, intellectually/cognitively, goes much deeper than that. I strongly advocate for recognition of gorillas and chimpanzees/bonobos (especially the latter) as being considered equal to humans in terms of basic rights and dignity. There is no question in my mind that they are self-aware, thoughtful, and emotional creatures no less than we are (just not as intelligent... and in some cases, I'm not so sure about that part), and I am proud to call them kin. When I hear someone object that they're not related to apes, usually phrased as "a monkey's uncle" or something equally stupid, I am flabbergasted at the ignorance.

I try to point them to these:

Not only does she immediately understand, and start signing her grief to the handler, when she is told that her kitten, which she named "All Ball", has been killed by a car. She waits until she is alone to mourn privately. I cry a little, still, every time I hear the heartbroken sobs of the gorilla who lost her kitten. I'm crying a little bit right now, as I type this, from having listened to her when I looked up the video a couple of minutes ago.

Here she is in happier moments, with the great Robin Williams, whom she recognizes from a video of his that she likes to watch:

Koko hadn't smiled or laughed in six months, prior to his arrival, because she was grieving the death of Michael, a 27 year old gorilla who was her friend... and Robin was able to get this grin on her face:

[Image: a53032ae132799fa2fec71e45a2704cc.jpg]

Truly, Robin Williams is a loss to all of us. Even Koko. You can learn all about Koko and Michael in this long documentary, if any of you are more interested:

Forget phylogeny, genetics, whatever. Watch any or all of that, and tell me that we're not related to them. And gorillas are more distant from us than chimps or bonobos. Want to really blow your mind for communications skills? Google "bonobo Kanzi", or watch the video of them going camping with the scientists who study them.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Thread saved, RS.
10-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Once upon a time there was a God.

And He made the Universe and the Earth and plants and animals and people and shit.

They would have lived happily ever after except a snake tricked the people into eating from the Magicberry tree.

The magical fruit of the Magicberry tree let people see the difference between Good and Evil.

When he found out God pitched a wobbly and threw them all out of his Garden shouting, "Stay off my lawn you damned kids!"

Then people were horrible to each other until God solved the problem by drowning everybody.

A long time went past and people were still horrible to each other so God decide to fix the problem.

In the all-time act of sexual depravity, He forced Himself on a young lady, which makes buggering a goat look downright vanilla.

Then He disappeared like a typical absentee father.

She named the child Jesus Christ after the popular curse. This made Jesus' childhood easier since he was never confused when his mother hollered, "Jesus Christ I'm going to tan your hide!"

Jesus had a hard childhood because he didn't believe in any of the other Gods. The lonely child grew up to be an angry young man who knocked over some money changers' stalls and got into Trouble with the law.

That's when his Dad showed up and managed to get his sentence reduced to crucifixion.

To fix things in the world God sacrificed Himself to Himself to atone for the sins of His creations unto Himself, though given that He ascended bodily into heaven He really just rented Himslef cheap for the weekend.

And God so Loved the world that anybody who didn't believe went to a magical land called Hell where they suffered Unspeakable Torment for the Eternity, which is how Divine Grace and Mercy works.

But God had made Mutants called Atheopaths who couldn't believe because he'd made their heads without a God detector in it and they went to Hell through no fault of their own but because of Divine Justice.

This is called Intelligent Design and we laugh at it ever after.

The End

---