Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
12-09-2016, 11:18 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(09-09-2016 11:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 11:42 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Actually the Bible, in the New Testament, says we are all born believers.l.

Actually it doesn't. And as uaual, you FAIL to provide any supporting evidence.

"No one shall come to me unless the Father draw him"
"For many are called, but few are chosen"
"To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,"

As usual, we know more about the Bible than those who call themselves believers.

I didn't know you were a Calvinist, Bucky. (I am not.) But regardless, once again you conflate religion with pattern recognition. It's hard to take someone seriously who can't understand even the simplest concepts.

And I really do not want to engage in a theological discussion since this thread is about science. But since you asked, Romans 1:20 says:

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

This verse indicates that we all know God exists and will be without excuse on judgment day. The passages you cite which support Calvinism would still make a distinction between knowing God exists and doing what he says. Those whom the Father does not draw are still responsible for their sin and will experience punishment for those sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2016, 11:20 PM
(11-09-2016 11:02 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  [...] Think of it this way: If there really is no God, and if it's true, as the evidence seems to suggests, that most people are born with a predisposition to believe, and if it is further true that some people are not, how would you explain that scientifically? What makes the most sense? What conclusion would you come to? What causes us to be born without other things we no longer need?

There is zero evidence [sic] that would suggest we're "born with a predisposition to believe"—other than as proposed by some misinformed believers in supernatural entities, otherwise known as Christians.

Newborns are neither theists OR atheists, a point you've ignored previously. Religious belief is a product of nurture and not nature.

There are several other unnecessary things we're born with too; vestigial organs. The female epoophoron and the male nipple, the vomeronasal organ, the coccyx, the palmaris and plantaris mucles, the arrector pili, the plica semilunaris, vitamin C pseudogene, cervical ribs... I could go on. How is it that an omniscient designer could make so many obvious mistakes in his most perfect creation?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
12-09-2016, 11:30 PM
(10-09-2016 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  OP seems to be a bullshit salesman. Tack on a few "hypothesis" "science" and "falsifiable" buzzwords, play silly buggers with language and ignore any inconvenient replies.

I can't believe you can write a book like this OP but I've seen too many idiots succeed in such endeavours. You'll probably make a ton of cash if you can find the appropriate buzzwords. What you will not do is advance the search for truth.

*If* your hypothesis is so fancy and testable etc, *why* before writing a book are you not submitting papers for peer review?

Um, I think you just answered your own question. Because it's a hypothesis. The book will certainly suggest ways to test and falsify it but I do not have the means nor the resources to do so. Besides, I'm in good company. Charles Darwin once wrote a book expounding on his hypothesis of natural selection called "On the Origin of Species." Perhaps you've heard it. He referred to it as "one long argument." (Mine won't be quite as long.) Wink
12-09-2016, 11:33 PM
(10-09-2016 12:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 12:16 AM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  What a great analogy! Very helpful, thank you. I might use that in my book. And no you don't get a royalty. Wink

Except I've already used that analogy in my material so ... © Tongue

I'll let you know where you can send the cheque/check.

Big Grin

Then, perhaps I can reference your work. Seriously.
12-09-2016, 11:34 PM
(12-09-2016 08:49 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Perhaps NO ONE - with the exception of maybe autistics - are born atheopaths.

Your bullshit never ceases does it? You stubbornly ignore all alternatives to your nonsensical "hypotheses" and insist on flogging to death your absurd notion of neonatal "theopathy" as a given.

And you continue to stubbornly claim some sort of pseudo-scientific conflation of autism and your (made-up) "atheopothy". Which proves you have as much knowledge of autism as do I of string theory.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
12-09-2016, 11:38 PM
(10-09-2016 01:05 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Randy, are you this Randy Ruggles?

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Fiction...B004TYI99C

And/or this Randy Ruggles?

http://www.chicagonow.com/an-atheist-in-...ikes-back/

And/or

http://marmotism.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/...ction.html

There are a few of your name who are evidently other people, a Canadian engineer on Linkedin, a man seeking crowd funding for treatment ... but, most are linked to creationist matters.

Are you a creationist, Randy, or is it all coincidence?

I know atheists have a lot of faith in co-incidence but this is not one of them. This is intelligent design. Tongue

Recall that someone else pointed out that anyone who believes in God - or even infers design and purpose in the world - is technically a creationist. And I made it clear from the outset that I am a Christian theist. So of course that makes me a creationist. Former head of the human genome project Francis Collins is a creationist.
12-09-2016, 11:39 PM
(12-09-2016 11:30 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Um, I think you just answered your own question. Because it's a hypothesis. The book will certainly suggest ways to test and falsify it but I do not have the means nor the resources to do so. Besides, I'm in good company. Charles Darwin once wrote a book expounding on his hypothesis of natural selection called "On the Origin of Species." Perhaps you've heard it. He referred to it as "one long argument." (Mine won't be quite as long.) Wink

You most certainly are not a person of the calibre of Charles Darwin, although I'll give you points for arrogance comparing yourself to him. Your hypothesis so far seems totally ill defined. Modern science progresses usually by writing papers which can be peer reviewed, and at some point the field grows enough that a book is needed as a summarised introduction to it. The fact that you don't understand how this works shows that for a person propounding a "scientific" hypothesis you are woefully lacking.

In modern times people who self-publish books of their bizarro ideas are generally known to be avoiding peer review, and thus can be safely ignored. You wouldn't want that for your cherished load of crap would you?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
12-09-2016, 11:40 PM
(12-09-2016 11:38 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 01:05 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Randy, are you this Randy Ruggles?

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Fiction...B004TYI99C

And/or this Randy Ruggles?

http://www.chicagonow.com/an-atheist-in-...ikes-back/

And/or

http://marmotism.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/...ction.html

There are a few of your name who are evidently other people, a Canadian engineer on Linkedin, a man seeking crowd funding for treatment ... but, most are linked to creationist matters.

Are you a creationist, Randy, or is it all coincidence?

I know atheists have a lot of faith in co-incidence but this is not one of them. This is intelligent design. Tongue

Recall that someone else pointed out that anyone who believes in God - or even infers design and purpose in the world - is technically a creationist. And I made it clear from the outset that I am a Christian theist. So of course that makes me a creationist. Former head of the human genome project Francis Collins is a creationist.

Answer the question, are you the author of the drivel?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-09-2016, 11:50 PM
(10-09-2016 01:21 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 12:42 AM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Except that it is a well-established fact that science arose and prospered in the West because nearly all the major branches of science were founded by Christian theists. No one is jumping on the science bandwagon. It appears that you have bought into the false notion that there is some conflict between science and Christianity. Sadly, your comments are full of incorrect assertions.

Which you fail to examine and point out.
Correlation is not causation, AND it is well established that religion opposed science, at least for a while. The fact that the educated HAPPENED to be theists is irrelevant. It was not their theism that made them great scientists. I see you really are a beginner here. Are you like 15 ? Science prospered in the West, in spite of religion, not because of it. You never heard of Galileo or Copernicus ? What's sad here, is that you think you are a scientist. You have a VERY strange set of "well known facts". Weeping Clearly you know NOTHING at all about the history of science, if you think it's major branches were "founded by Christian theists". Your desperation to appear to be logical and reasonable is becoming more obvious by the post.

You said:

"It was not their theism that made them great scientists."

Uh, yes it was. Try read a book on the history of science. Even prominent atheists like Richard Dawkins have conceded this point. The article below in Nature magazine is by a historian and philosopher of science who happens to be a Christian:

http://blogs.nature.com/soapboxscience/2...iddle-ages
12-09-2016, 11:56 PM
(10-09-2016 05:34 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 12:47 AM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  I believe anything because it is comforting.

QFT

Did you change what I said? I wrote, "I don't believe anything because it is comforting." At least that's what I meant to write. Personally, I find atheism a much more comforting belief than theism.