Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
13-09-2016, 11:25 AM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(13-09-2016 11:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 10:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Desse says:
Randy has avoided most mentions of this book, with the exception of attempting to defend my accusation that the out of context partial quotation about Darwin means something other than its quite obvious intention to ''prove'' even scientists are unhappy with the theory of evolution (hope they are, but in the sense of seeking to refine it.)

In my limited experience avoidance either means that he holds the question in utter contempt - but most will say that they do so - or he is unwilling to admit to authorship of a volume containing obviously dishonest strategies.

My personal conclusion is the latter. He is seeks to perpetuate a trail of terminological inexactitudes.

Someone should just email the author to ask if he's posting on this forum. Maybe admins can remove links to the book if he's not the author.
Yes, if he is not the author then the book is not relevant to this thread, though it is a fine example of dishonest creationist tactics that Randy has attempted to defend. That alone ties Randy to the book at least indirectly.

The author appears to have no email details on Amazon, are they available elsewhere?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2016, 11:30 AM
(13-09-2016 10:58 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I have no problem with your observations. I am merely pointing out that OP's claims about what the Bible actually says are also dubious. An equal opportunity liar. Whether he is quoting Darwin or the Bible.

I was agreeing with you and expounding on that. My apologies that this was unclear.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
13-09-2016, 11:34 AM
(13-09-2016 11:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 11:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Someone should just email the author to ask if he's posting on this forum. Maybe admins can remove links to the book if he's not the author.
Yes, if he is not the author then the book is not relevant to this thread, though it is a fine example of dishonest creationist tactics that Randy has attempted to defend. That alone ties Randy to the book at least indirectly.

The author appears to have no email details on Amazon, are they available elsewhere?

He has a FB page and the picture on the profile matches the picture associated with some creationist debate that I saw.
13-09-2016, 11:50 AM
(12-09-2016 09:30 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 10:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And why does every major religious university and religion department have to require courses in "Apologetics" ?

Tongue

What do they feel they need to apologize for ?

Laugh out load

Hoping that last part was a joke. But for those who don't know, "apologia" was a Greek legal term meaning "to make a defense." Nothing to do with saying sorry. Smile

We were being joking about it, but no, it wasn't really a joke. There's a real problem with the Christian "apologetic" practice. My experience with Christians is pretty much limited to people who are grossly (and embarrassingly) ignorant of my culture and religion and who try to sell me on a concept that is totally contradictory to my religion. The buzz words I hear when Christians do this are (in no particular order), "evangelizing," "missionizing," "apologetics," and "witnessing".

I really don't care what the root words in Greek mean and why should I? Christians don't ever bother to learn the Hebrew root words in their "old testament". They take the words to mean what they decide they mean, and even when errors are pointed out, they make excuses why their definitions can still sort of work.

I think I'll just go ahead and take my cues from the Christians on this and believe whatever makes me happy about your Greek root words and discard information that doesn't jive with my world-view. Apology not accepted, Christians.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
13-09-2016, 12:00 PM
(12-09-2016 10:31 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Yes, but what is a word for atheists who specifically were born that way and did not arrive at their views through logic and reason?

Uninfected. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
13-09-2016, 12:01 PM
(12-09-2016 10:31 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 09:48 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Yet another theist with some claim about scientific evidence, yet who is clueless about the scientific method, by his own admission. Facepalm

Atheopathy? FFS. Make up a word, but at least make up a decent word, "Randy". There is already a word that describes atheists. Guess what it is? Dodgy

Yes, but what is a word for atheists who specifically were born that way and did not arrive at their views through logic and reason?

Toddlers?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
13-09-2016, 12:14 PM
(12-09-2016 10:31 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Yes, but what is a word for atheists who specifically were born that way and did not arrive at their views through logic and reason?

Lucky?

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
13-09-2016, 12:24 PM
If all theists could be categorized as agnostic (not knowing) and they are 99.9% atheist (not believing in the existence of a 1000 or more gods, except for 1), then it would seem to me that everyone is atheist Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
13-09-2016, 12:35 PM
(13-09-2016 11:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 11:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yes, if he is not the author then the book is not relevant to this thread, though it is a fine example of dishonest creationist tactics that Randy has attempted to defend. That alone ties Randy to the book at least indirectly.

He has a FB page and the picture on the profile matches the picture associated with some creationist debate that I saw.
Yup, looks like the same RR as in the creationist videos on YouTube

Seems he is also the Canadian marketting consultant I found before. And he may be on the White pages with a telephone number.

But still no proof this is our Randy and/or the author. There are several others of the same name in the States

Sorry, Randy, we are talking as though you were not around, terrible manners I agree. The answer to the pertinent question would make this totally unecessary. It does seem to have become a bit of a bete noir.

13-09-2016, 12:51 PM
(13-09-2016 12:35 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 11:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:  He has a FB page and the picture on the profile matches the picture associated with some creationist debate that I saw.
Yup, looks like the same RR as in the creationist videos on YouTube

Seems he is also the Canadian marketting consultant I found before. And he may be on the White pages with a telephone number.

But still no proof this is our Randy and/or the author. There are several others of the same name in the States

Sorry, Randy, we are talking as though you were not around, terrible manners I agree. The answer to the pertinent question would make this totally unecessary. It does seem to have become a bit of a bete noir.

We can just email the guy from the video at the email address at the end of the video. Smile Oh, and if you email him, tell him to fix his video. Unless I heard it wrong, he's got a little oopsie in there.

Randy if you did that video, you can still fix it! You can either re-record it, or add an annotation to point out that Bernard Kettelwell must have done his research in the 1950's, not the 1850's. It kind of decreases your credibility when you don't pay attention to these little details.