Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
08-09-2016, 06:47 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(08-09-2016 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 07:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Possibly because out default theism is built on some other sets of consideration, more to do with out innate desire for meaning, hope, purpose, a sense of life which posses some sense of meaningful order.

In this regard one does see life as a cosmic accident, but intentional, "designed" so to say.

If these sort of beliefs are our default tendencies, than it goes without saying that we're intuitive theists in this regard.

Nice try there sport.
We see what you did there ... but you're wrong, AND you have not established IN ANY WAY, your premise (bolded above).

You explain to me how theism answers those questions for parents with a 5 year old, dying of cancer. Facepalm
These gods certainly do serve something, I'm not so sure "order and meaning" is that thing.
https://owlcation.com/humanities/10-Weir...-Goddesses
Weeping

I am not going to honor the replies of someone who is proud of having a fake Phd from a diploma mill in the midde of nowhere.
Its like wrestling in the mud with a pig, you know Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 06:48 PM
(08-09-2016 01:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You explain to me how theism answers those questions for parents with a 5 year old, dying of cancer. Facepalm
These gods certainly do serve something, I'm not so sure "order and meaning" is that thing.
https://owlcation.com/humanities/10-Weir...-Goddesses
Weeping

I doubt there are many 5 year olds who view life as meaningless noise, nihilist, or imagine their existence is a product of some cosmic accident. They'd be inclined to believe the opposite. . A variety of studies indicate that children are inclined to teleology, even when raised in non-religious households. And hence the predominance of religious tendencies, the prevalence of spiritual beliefs, beliefs in a sacred order, found in some for or other in every civilization that has existed. I'm not sure how you can account for such a near universal beliefs, without a predisposition to it.

You really don't get it do you ? Your head is SO FAR up your judgmental ass. Of course they don't. But what they perceive is not granted by deities, you fool. Let's see these "varieties of studies", and PROVE they were not influenced by their environment. Does the Chinese child believe in the gods from Utah ? Fuck you are stupid. Children LEARN from their environment, which is why the VAST majority believe in the gods from the culture they grew up in. Your ASSertions are dismissed, as they are unsupported by ANY data.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
(08-09-2016 06:32 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...
a stigmatized disorder that tends to end with a trunkload of dead hookers. Some people might take that the wrong way.

Well, yes, I do!

That would be a psychopath, not a sociopath.

Dodgy

I don't own a trunk.

Rolleyes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Quote:2. Theism is the default position. We are all born believers. Evolution has caused us to be this way due to its survival advantage.

Prove it. Anthropologists know approximately when religions arose VERY VERY late in human history. You're simply dead wrong there. How does believing in fairies promote survival ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-09-2016, 07:10 PM
(08-09-2016 06:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 06:32 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...
a stigmatized disorder that tends to end with a trunkload of dead hookers. Some people might take that the wrong way.

Well, yes, I do!

Dodgy

I don't own a trunk.

Rolleyes

Oh...not necessarily...

Difference between psychopath and sociopath

Traits of a Psychopath. Psychology researchers generally believe that psychopaths tends to be born-that it’s a genetic predisposition-while sociopaths tend to be made by their environment. Psychopathy might be related to physiological brain differences.

Now if the hookers are neatly stacked in the trunk then you are probably looking at a psychopath.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wic...psychopath

Quote:When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-09-2016, 07:19 PM
(08-09-2016 07:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 06:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, yes, I do!

Dodgy

I don't own a trunk.

Rolleyes

Oh...not necessarily...

Traits of a Psychopath. Psychology researchers generally believe that psychopaths tends to be born-that it’s a genetic predisposition-while sociopaths tend to be made by their environment. Psychopathy might be related to physiological brain differences.

Now if the hookers are neatly stacked in the trunk then you are probably looking at a psychopath.

Quote:When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue.

Good point, well made.

But I would argue that hookers are not that easy to stack (within or without a trunk) ... at least, not without their consent.

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2016, 07:24 PM
(08-09-2016 07:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 07:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Oh...not necessarily...

Good point, well made.

But I would argue that hookers are not that easy to stack (within or without a trunk) ... at least, not without their consent.

Yes

Since they are dead...I doubt they will be putting up a fuss.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Well obviously not thawed hookers.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
08-09-2016, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 08:10 PM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Hello. This is my first time posting and even visiting here.

Okay. So on this inaugural visit you proceed to do the following:

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Please note, I use the term "atheopath," not in a derogatory manner, but simply for someone born without a belief in God - much the same way a sociopath is born without empathy.

Make up an unnecessary word that is indeed derogatory.

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  3. Atheopaths lack a belief in God. They are "born that way." Their "agency detector" is broken. Studies have, in fact, demonstrated that theists see patterns that don't exist and atheists miss patterns that do exist. Their "pattern recognition software," so to speak, has been corrupted.

Inform us that we are born broken and corrupted.

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  4. One mechanism that we know of which tends to break things and corrupt information is genetic mutation.

Oh, I'm sorry, now we're broken, corrupted, mutants.
(Why would we consider that derogatory?)

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Incidentally, a connection has been made between atheism and autism in the peer-reviewed literature. Perhaps if we find the cause of autism, we will be closer to finding the cause of atheopathy. (Hint: I don't believe it is vaccines. Wink )

Perhaps if we contact your proctologist, we can find your head. The cause of your delusions is most likely that mass of infectious, cancerous, fecal matter lodged in the space between your auditory canals.

(07-09-2016 10:12 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Also, please do not take offense to anything I have said. You might choose to look at this hypothesis as humans evolving away from religion and, for atheopaths, any remnant of faith being vestigial.

Fuck You, You Fucking Fuck. Don't take offense, but you can take your derogatory hypothesis and shove it up your ass. Just be careful not to poke an eye out.

Normally, I try to refrain from posting like this, but since I'm a broken, corrupted mutant, what the hell?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
08-09-2016, 08:15 PM
The connection between autism and atheism seems pretty intuitive to me. People on the autism spectrum tend to be less persuaded by appeals to emotion, right?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post