Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
14-09-2016, 02:49 AM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(14-09-2016 02:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Your purported correlation between atheism and homosexuality, even IF it did happen to be close, is no more meaningful.

Poor ol' Randy's convinced we're coming for his butthole Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
14-09-2016, 03:07 AM
(14-09-2016 02:39 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I notice the difference between age 2 and adult images there. At two there seem to be more connections but in the adult the connections look "denser". Could this be due to the "redundancy" where one memory may have have multiple locations with repeated refreshment? [...]

Between conception and age three, a child’s brain undergoes an impressive amount of change. At birth, it already has about all of the neurons it will ever have. It doubles in size in the first year, and by age three it has reached 80 percent of its adult volume.

Even more importantly, synapses are formed at a faster rate during these years than at any other time. In fact, the brain creates many more of them than it needs: at age two or three, the brain has up to twice as many synapses as it will have in adulthood. These surplus connections are gradually eliminated throughout childhood and adolescence, a process sometimes referred to as blooming and pruning.

The Urban Child Institute 2016, Baby’s Brain Begins Now: Conception to Age 3.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-09-2016, 03:18 AM
(13-09-2016 03:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 03:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You claim that babies lack a belief in God, and I'm seeking clarification. Do babies have any beliefs, or are they a blank slate absent of all beliefs, such as a belief that they exist, have a mind, etc....

It's entirely relevant to your claim that they lack a belief in God, if you don't understand why, then answering my questions would help to show you why.
I presume a newborn baby has little to no beliefs, certainly no god beliefs.

So newborns babies certainly have no beliefs whatsoever, they certainly have no belief that they exist, that others exist, that reality exist, that their minds exists etc.

Do non-human animals have beliefs? Or are beliefs a uniquely human thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
14-09-2016, 03:39 AM
(13-09-2016 05:56 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Babies lack beliefs in all things and by default they lack a belief in a God.

Are beliefs a uniquely human thing, do non-human animals have beliefs in anything, or do they like lack them entirely?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
14-09-2016, 04:13 AM
(14-09-2016 03:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 05:56 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Babies lack beliefs in all things and by default they lack a belief in a God.

Are beliefs a uniquely human thing, do non-human animals have beliefs in anything, or do they like lack them entirely?

Possibly the real question is, "Are non-human animals capable of abstract thought?"

The supernatural is just that, pretty sure other animals are far more tuned in to the natural, revolving around similar concerns to those of the human neonate; food and comfort.

In the wild pragmatism rules, not spiritualism.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
14-09-2016, 04:39 AM
(14-09-2016 02:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 02:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Your purported correlation between atheism and homosexuality, even IF it did happen to be close, is no more meaningful.

Poor ol' Randy's convinced we're coming for his butthole Big Grin

Projection! Big Grin
Its all his own latent supressed homosexuality.
I would rather watch my own butt.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
14-09-2016, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 04:59 AM by Tomasia.)
(14-09-2016 04:13 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are beliefs a uniquely human thing, do non-human animals have beliefs in anything, or do they like lack them entirely?

Possibly the real question is, "Are non-human animals capable of abstract thought?"

The supernatural is just that, pretty sure other animals are far more tuned in to the natural, revolving around similar concerns to those of the human neonate; food and comfort.

That's seem silly, we have trouble with the distinction between what's constitutes as natural vs supernatural, so not sure why you want to suggest that animals draw such a distinction.

You claim that animals possibly do have beliefs, can you give us an example of a belief than non-human animals possibly.

And I'd suggest that whatever picture of reality that forms in a non-human animal, would be entirely spiritual like in form, just like for early humans. Animals might not label their perceptions as abstract, but the fact that whatever perception of reality is rendered in their minds, makes it such. Mental images that don't particularly operate under the laws the physics, anymore than our dreams do.

14-09-2016, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 05:49 AM by Gloucester.)
(14-09-2016 04:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 04:13 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Possibly the real question is, "Are non-human animals capable of abstract thought?"

That's seem silly, we have trouble with the distinction between what's constitutes as natural vs supernatural, so not sure why you want to suggest that animals draw such a distinction.

You claim that animals possibly do have beliefs, can you give us an example of a belief than non-human animals possibly.

And I'd suggest that whatever picture of reality that forms in a non-human animal, would be entirely spiritual like in form, just like for early humans. Animals might not label their perceptions as abstract, but the fact that whatever perception of reality is rendered in their minds, makes it such. Mental images that don't particularly operate under the laws the physics, anymore than our dreams do.
Quote:That's seem silly, we have trouble with the distinction between what's constitutes as natural vs supernatural...

Anyone else here with that problem, folks?

In terms of the world around us, the natural world, ignoring mankind's additions and modifications, I can see it, smell it, feel or touch it, taste it, measure it, record it . . .

That seems somewhat more distinct from a notion that appears to be entirely within the brain, sharing any "belief" function we possess with such things as, "I believe the Sun will rise tomorrow," "I believe that my partner loves me," "I believe that I have no prejudices against black people." OK, the first will probably happen for a few billion more years but the other two are possibly misinterpretations of or defences against something we would prefer not to contemplate - they are ephemeral.

Only that belief in the supernatural has never been in my mind to the best of my memory and knowledge, my mind cannot conceive of it in any form.

That does not stop me loving tales of magic and fantasy - some are beautifully inventive! Some lay open the human psyche. Perhaps the Bible serves the same function in part?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
14-09-2016, 05:29 AM
(14-09-2016 05:20 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Anyone else here with that problem, folks?

In terms of the world around us, the natural world, ignoring mankind's additions and modifications, I can see it, smell it, feel or touch it, taste it, measure it, record it . . .

The "world", the "reality" we first see is neither natural or supernatural, it lacks such distinction, it's just reality. In fact not even a physical reality, but a mental one. You don't see a reality out there, you only see the reality in there, trapped in your mind. Your reality here is not occupied by matter, but by mental images.

You're not born with knowledge of an external reality, your born with a sense of only one reality, your internal subjective one. Whatever distinction are drawn here only come in later. That initial reality, that mental one, is more akin to a spiritual view, than a physicalist, naturalist view.

We clearly are not born naturalist. It's why human civilizations are prone to a spiritualist view of life, dualism, teleological assumptions, etc..

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
14-09-2016, 05:34 AM
(13-09-2016 09:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 12:35 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  But still no proof this is our Randy and/or the author.

Read to the bottom of his proposed cover design

sigh. Facepalm can't believe I missed that.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky