Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
14-09-2016, 11:34 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(14-09-2016 11:21 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Correction. We are not born with a belief in particular gods. But we are born with belief in a sense of purpose, order and design in nature from an agent.
But this ain't true.

We have it in us, the ability to observe and pattern match, to assume purpose or perhaps to interpret "purpose" to mean what is the main use of this. e.g. the main use of wings is to fly, the main use of eyes is to see.

By no stretch of the imagination does this mean "But we are born with belief in...design in nature from an agent"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
14-09-2016, 11:42 PM
(14-09-2016 10:52 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  ...
No one can rationally deny absolute truth - although I meet people (many of whom are atheists) who do it all the time.

I think that that would be the humanist atheists...

Quote:Humanist John Dewey (1859-1952), co-author and signer of the Humanist Manifesto 1 (1933), declared, "There is no God and there is no soul. Hence, there are no needs for the props of traditional religion. With dogma and creed excluded, then immutable truth is also dead and buried. There is no room for fixed, natural law or moral absolutes." Humanists believe one should do, as one feels is right.

David Wiggins was onto something with his distinction between anthropocentric truths and non-anthropocentric truths.

“Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun.”
~~ Max Weber

“My biggest mistake? Putting the monkeys in charge.”
~~ God

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-09-2016, 12:23 AM
(14-09-2016 05:13 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Are you really this much of a dick, or just pretending to be for emphasis?

Is the pope German or Argentinian? Drinking Beverage

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
15-09-2016, 12:29 AM
(14-09-2016 10:52 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  blah..absolute truth ... blah. No one can rationally deny absolute truth - although I meet people (many of whom are atheists) who do it all the time.

Please define the difference between "absolute truth" and all other forms of truth. Drinking Beverage

Then, please demonstrate with an example.

[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
15-09-2016, 12:35 AM
(14-09-2016 10:43 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Here is another take on that study. Quotations of interest:

"This study proves a benefit of religion, not a detriment, because research shows how imaginative and fictional thinking, fantasy play, aid in the cognitive development of children," writes Eliyahu Federman in USA Today. "Raising children with fantastical religious tales is not bad after all."

"Not only is there benefit in allowing children to think imaginatively without forcing them into the mindset of perceived reality, but according to at least one study, raising children with religion also increases self-esteem, lowers anxiety, risk of suicide, alcohol and drug abuse, and dangerous sexual behaviour."

#1 fictional thinking / fantasy play
Are you trying to say your religion is fitional thinking and fantasy play?

#2 Self esteem
How, why, and how much did your self esteem increase after you have been told you are a broken being beyond the capability to be fixed based on the failing of one of your distant ancestors?
How much did your self esteem increase after you were told that you re held up to standards that you cant fulfill per definitionem?

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
15-09-2016, 12:53 AM
Y'know, Randy may have spouted a load of god's wallop but he sure got us going!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
15-09-2016, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 03:42 AM by Gloucester.)
So, Randy, you are still quoting sources such as a tabloid, with a reputation for misrepresentation and hyperbole, and now a film maker as sources worthy of note?

Since you are guilty of misreprentation yourself this should be no surprise I suppose.

Though the film maker seems to have done some sterling stuff, and probably researched it well, is he a fully reliable source?

Edited to add name.

Memo to self, do not indulge before breakfast!

15-09-2016, 03:07 AM
(14-09-2016 11:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 10:52 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  ...
No one can rationally deny absolute truth - although I meet people (many of whom are atheists) who do it all the time.

I think that that would be the humanist atheists...

Quote:Humanist John Dewey (1859-1952), co-author and signer of the Humanist Manifesto 1 (1933), declared, "There is no God and there is no soul. Hence, there are no needs for the props of traditional religion. With dogma and creed excluded, then immutable truth is also dead and buried. There is no room for fixed, natural law or moral absolutes." Humanists believe one should do, as one feels is right.

David Wiggins was onto something with his distinction between anthropocentric truths and non-anthropocentric truths.

“Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun.”
~~ Max Weber

“My biggest mistake? Putting the monkeys in charge.”
~~ God

Drinking Beverage
Well, DLJ, that was those humanist atheists - other humanist atheists are available!

Just because we have some beliefs in common we do not suffer from a blind faith.

15-09-2016, 03:39 AM
RR wrote:
Quote:We are not born with a belief in particular gods. But we are born with belief in a sense of purpose, order and design in nature from an agent. That's what most people think of as God.
How can you make that claim without evidence? We are certainly born with a propensity to learn but, from my observations of the babies of my sister and friends, I seem to see a helpless creature with a need, maybe a desire - but that word is loaded - for comfort and food. The obvious basics of a survival mechanism.

To believe, without verification of the beneficence of the object of that belief is dangerous, can place survival at risk. Through repeated nurture, from the moment it is given the breast, the baby learns to accept and rely on the mother as the provider of all that is necessary. But it is aware of its own needs and able to let mum know this vociferously.

Instincts, the feeding reflex, the grip reflex, even the swimming reflex are all there from the moment of birth. Education starts at that moment. Belief, with what mental function in the brain? In what, something the baby's mind has never encountered and which is not, not, essential to physical survival? That also has to be learned - or indoctrinated.

Baby is a beautiful bundle of possibilities, no more in this context.

These thoughts are based on observation, education, experience and considerstion only - just like everyone else's, though many will have a deeper educational element. Authority can only truly come from being proven right - so difficult in this field. Educated guesses and unfounded beliefs abound.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
15-09-2016, 06:31 AM
(14-09-2016 10:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 09:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And fourthly just because I lack patience for your nonsense, doesn't mean I'm trolling you.
Did I use your lack of patience as my reasoning for labelling you as a troll?

Take a look at what I actually said.
(14-09-2016 06:07 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Anyways, you are a troll, proved by your stating you went to "prestigious" Patriot University.

Ah okay so you're not accusing me of trolling in my response to you here, but because of a running joke mentions last several weeks ago about me having a degree from Patriot University. I'm not sure sure how the Patriot University thing constitutes as trolling either.

troll2
trōl/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: trolling
informal
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Not sure how joking that I have degree from Patriot University, upset you, or made you angry. If it did then it says more about you than me.

I lack patience for your type, and find your points here idiotic and dishonest, you clearly don't know much about the topic, and just pretend as if you do. Just because you responses get nothing but contempt from me, doesn't mean I'm trolling you.

It appears to me you run to the trolling defense, whenever you get called out on your bullshit. But whatever.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."