Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
17-09-2016, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2016 02:27 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(17-09-2016 01:57 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 11:33 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  No it doesn't. Atheism would have originally been the default position. Now it isn't. Let me ask you: Are you an atheist because you were born that way or did you come to the conclusion through rational thought?
Don't know about Banjo but, in my case it was the sudden realisation that I was not alone, that others did think like me - despite what they said in Sunday school and RE.

The bible stories were interesting up to about age 8, but they just seemed no more true than the stories in my comics. I knew the comics were fiction, even fantasy, but I was constantly told this bunch of stories was literally true.

Luckily I had enough brain cells to prevent me from accepting the delusions.

I had a love of fantasy, science-fiction, and especially mythology growing up. Once you've read The Iliad or The Odyssey, and studied ancient Greek and Egyptian mythology, it's way harder to be sold modern religions; which basically boil down to "just like that mythology over there, except our stories really happened, honest!"

The only thing that separates mythology from religion is the number of people who still buy into the stories. There is effectively no difference between the validity of truth claims of the Hellenistic period and those of modern religions. Yahweh is no more real than Zeus. Sure, we can scale Mt. Olympus and find a disturbing lack of gods up there. But remember too that Jacob climbed up a ladder into the clouds and had a wrestling match with his god (in which, by their own account, god cheated), and we've since conquered manned flight and been to the moon and back, and found a disturbing lack of wrestling partners in the sky.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-09-2016, 02:24 AM
(17-09-2016 02:15 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  This reminds me of John Baumgardner, YEC but once well regarded geophysicist who, when challenged to explain why the bible and radio-dating gave such different answers as to the age of the Earth claimed that god meddled with the flow of time.

Malicious meddling to confuse science or just a whacky sense of humour?

Maybe just going whole hog with the fact that no reputable science outfit would ever hire him again, so his only employment prospects are pandering to other YEC ideologues?

17-09-2016, 02:38 AM
http://www.av1611.org/kjv/mevolu1.html

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-09-2016, 02:44 AM
(17-09-2016 02:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.av1611.org/kjv/mevolu1.html

Yup, the usual arse-about-face delusions!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
17-09-2016, 03:10 AM
(17-09-2016 02:44 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 02:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.av1611.org/kjv/mevolu1.html

Yup, the usual arse-about-face delusions!

Okay, I got bids on a line-by-line break down of that pile of bullshit. Will need to wait till I get back home this morning, so nobody go jumping the gun. I'ts been a while since I've had first crack at fresh meat.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-09-2016, 03:25 AM
(17-09-2016 03:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 02:44 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yup, the usual arse-about-face delusions!

Okay, I got bids on a line-by-line break down of that pile of bullshit. Will need to wait till I get back home this morning, so nobody go jumping the gun. I'ts been a while since I've had first crack at fresh meat.
All yours, EK!

I had problems reading it any way, all the head shaking it induced had my poor cervical spine sounding like someone walking on a gravel path.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
17-09-2016, 03:54 AM
(17-09-2016 03:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 02:44 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yup, the usual arse-about-face delusions!

Damnit, EK... okay, fine. You're really good at 'em, but I want sloppy seconds on this, when you're done.

That's some of the funniest shit I've ever read in my life!

This guy has clearly never met a scientist in his life. I'd actually like to run this by any of the dozens of Christian evolutionary biologists I know and have them form the retort to it (I'd ask my wife, the geneticist, but she doesn't really want anything to do with this board except to make snarky comments over my shoulder, sometimes, when she sees things Creationists claim, here), because I think that might hit ol' Rando harder than hearing an atheist critique, however accurate.

Maybe we can ask Shai Hulud to take a crack at it, since he has quite a bit of knowledge of evolutionary biology and the academic world that's being disparaged in that diatribe. I know he's usually reticent to get involved, but frankly Rando's position on science is as offensive to intelligent/educated Christians as it is to atheists, and I think we'd benefit from his (no doubt epic) takedown.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
17-09-2016, 03:54 AM
(17-09-2016 03:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 03:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Okay, I got bids on a line-by-line break down of that pile of bullshit. Will need to wait till I get back home this morning, so nobody go jumping the gun. I'ts been a while since I've had first crack at fresh meat.
All yours, EK!

I had problems reading it any way, all the head shaking it induced had my poor cervical spine sounding like someone walking on a gravel path.

First paragraph done. I'm Google Doc'ing this shit. Oh, and I have visual aides. Big Grin

17-09-2016, 04:01 AM
Man, I already looked up the Dr. Wald "quotation" on TalkOrigins.

Rando, you are a lying piece of shit. I'll let EK handle it, as I promised, but that's not even close to what Dr. Wald said, and in fact is nearly the opposite. The "article" you're "quoting" from never existed; it's a complete fabrication.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/m...rt1-4.html

As I said elsewhere, the lies and misrepresentations by people like you are why I left Christianity. So please, buddy, keep it up. Keep on truckin'.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-09-2016, 04:41 AM
(17-09-2016 12:02 AM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Here's your error. My hypothesis has nothing to do with accepting authority and everything to do with pattern recognition. So what non-offensive word can I use that means "born without"?

How about 'more highly evolved'? Consider

Quote:I'm open to changing the word. I'm not committed to it. But I need a word to distinguish those born without a God belief from those who became atheists for other reasons such as logic and reason.

No one is born with a god belief. That is your error.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post