Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
17-09-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
The hoatxin always fascinated me. Not really suited for survival in some ways, the only member if its family, the very young have claws on their wings for climbing.

[Image: qxa26x.jpg]

[Image: 8vzsc7.jpg]

One could wonder what its ancestry was, did it make the transition a tad after the others!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
17-09-2016, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2016 12:22 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(17-09-2016 12:05 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  The hoatxin always fascinated me. Not really suited for survival in some ways, the only member if its family, the very young have claws on their wings for climbing.

One could wonder what its ancestry was, did it make the transition a tad after the others!

Evolution is directionless, except to diverge. It spreads out and, if there's selection pressure, that narrows it down into better-adapted forms. Some forms which work just fine for their environment may experience little selection pressure and stay in pretty much their original form. An example is the crocodile/alligator/etc, which is a species group that hasn't changed much over time, and actually predates the dinosaurs! The same applies to turtles, which are related to an entirely different branch of reptiles (the anapsids).

Even humans (and all mammals) can trace their lineages back to a pre-dinosaur ancestral group called the therapsids, a subgroup of synapsids, which dominated the earth during the early Triassic. It was only during the Jurassic and Cretaceous that the sauropsids (including dinosaurs) attained full dominance, and while pre-bird ancestors were developing out of the theropod dinosaur lines, our proto-mammalian ancestors were reduced to shrewlike critters that likely scavenged and hid their way to survival through the age of dinos. [Edit to Add: dinosaurs are also synapsids, so all dinos, birds, and mammals stem from a common ancestry.]

The hoatxin is visually closest to Archaeopteryx and the other early forms of dino-to-bird transitionals, a "living fossil", if you prefer.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-09-2016, 12:18 PM
(17-09-2016 11:08 AM)kim Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 10:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You wouldn't know a scientific law if it bent you over and fucked you in the ass bareback and without lube.

A bit harsh. Dodgy

Otherwise ...

Bowing Astounding! Bowing

Make America Dry and Chaffy Again

- Trump 2016 -

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-09-2016, 12:36 PM
That reminds me...

One of the more interesting pieces of evidence for evolution (and against the Flood) is that placental mammals developed after Australia had slid away from the other continents, which is why Australia is full of marsupials and monotremes. Elsewhere, the placentals edged out the marsupials and monotremes; in Australia, they did not develop and the older forms were able to remain competitive enough to survive.

Monotremes are particularly interesting, to me, as they appear to be the closest thing among mammals to what that hoatxin is to birds: a surviving example of the earliest form. They lay eggs and have a cloaca (which is why they're called monotremes-- it translates as "one hole"). Examples include the platypus and a few species of echidna, the spiny anteaters, which despite the name are not related to regular anteaters. What's really cool is that the echidnas appear to be a living transitional between monotremes and marsupials, as they lay their eggs in a belly pouch.

Science = Awesome. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-09-2016, 12:42 PM
You really should teach, RocketS! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-09-2016, 12:59 PM
At work.

Plus, for added variety/weirdness male Platypi are venomous.

Having envenomed 'Spurs' on their hind feet/legs which they use to determin dominance for mating.

Australia! F@CKIN' bonza! Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
17-09-2016, 01:02 PM
I've been looking into his claim of racism for George Nuttall (corrected spelling), in regards to his blood serum comparisons, but I can't find it. What I can find is that Dr. Nuttall made anti-human antibodies in the blood serum of rabbits, separated that serum, and then found that it was extremely specific in its reaction to human blood. This was true for whatever species you did the test for; he and his team realized that their serum gave a weaker reaction to "near" species, such as donkeys and horses...you could find out if two species belonged to a related group by testing for a reaction.

His tests were some of the first chemical confirmation of a surmise by Darwin (and others), based on feature-comparisons, that humans were related to other simians-- their serum reacted with the anti-human serum!

This blogger did a good job of showing what amazing work this guy did... which is especially amazing because he was a bacteriologist and parasitologist, and yet did breakthrough work in other fields.

There's also this outstanding work on the evidences for evolution, including Nuttall's work, which is discussed on pages 11-12 (of 26). The book is apparently not published, and the copyright stuff at the bottom says not to reproduce it without permission, so I'll just link you all to it.

Both are definitely worth a read if you want to know just HOW FULL OF SHIT (see? I can use capslock, too!) our amazing Rando is on the subject.

17-09-2016, 01:11 PM
If anyone ever doubts the dinosaur-bird relationship, all they have to do is look at baby birds.

[Image: YdOcNG3_zpshan1dbes.jpg]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-09-2016, 02:14 PM
(17-09-2016 01:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  If anyone ever doubts the dinosaur-bird relationship, all they have to do is look at baby birds.

I'd say that's begging the question since artists have routinely started making their dino depictions appear more bird-like. Pretty flimsy evidence. An atheist I know on FaceBook periodically posts a picture of a modern human who happens to look a bit brutish and Neanderthal-like as "proof" for evolution. Also very flimsy evidence.
17-09-2016, 02:27 PM
(17-09-2016 02:14 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 01:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  If anyone ever doubts the dinosaur-bird relationship, all they have to do is look at baby birds.

I'd say that's begging the question since artists have routinely started making their dino depictions appear more bird-like. Pretty flimsy evidence. An atheist I know on FaceBook periodically posts a picture of a modern human who happens to look a bit brutish and Neanderthal-like as "proof" for evolution. Also very flimsy evidence.

Ahem...
[Image: WH_Feathered_Dinosaur_lg.jpg]

A one hundred sixty million year old dinosaur fossil. Fossil, not a drawing - FOSSIL.
Please note the CLEARLY VISIBLE FEATHERS.

I can talk in all caps, too. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post