Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
18-09-2016, 01:54 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(18-09-2016 01:40 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  More:

https://evolution-institute.org/article/...ligiosity/

Okay, so the paper you're referencing has nothing to do with Paul Bloom, Deb Kelemen, or Justin Barrett? Because the psychologists referenced in it are Ara Norenzayan and Will M. Gervais, both of whom pass my sniff test.

You see, we don't want to know who told you about the research. First and foremost, we want to know who did the research and what those people think. Did you not realize that?

I really don't think you're cut out for this sort of thing.

But to answer your question, I'm a theist about the Jewish G-d, but I'm an atheist about Jesus. I'm well read on this subject, so it's plain for me to see that Jesus and the Christian message are based on deliberately mistranslated Jewish texts combined with copious amounts of paganism from the Roman Empire. Because I did a lot of research to come to that conclusion, I guess that makes me a #4.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
18-09-2016, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2016 02:03 PM by kim.)
(18-09-2016 01:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 01:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Which type of atheist are you?
A fat one.

Yea, I'm with Girly...
I don't join anyone's club.

That sort of 'categorization' is for people who have no understanding of dealing with others as they are... they can only deal with others the way they want them to be.
People who deal with others in this 'categorizing' way, often have similar problems dealing with reality.
People like that have difficulty with tolerance, among other things.

You can put me wherever you want but that doesn't mean I'm there. It's not me.

I am what I am.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-09-2016, 01:59 PM
(18-09-2016 01:40 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  More:

https://evolution-institute.org/article/...ligiosity/
OK, found that review of the paper, not the real thing.

Still concerned that nasty people could spin this into saying that us poor atheists are a bit defective in the social department.

Yes, believe it or not such nasty people do exist, we have conclusive evidence of this on this very forum!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
18-09-2016, 02:01 PM
(18-09-2016 01:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Atheist Paul Bloom has responded. He confirmed Number 1 but clarified that seeing teleology in nature did not necessarily equate with belief in a god. He believes the first is innate and the second is not.

So someone else confirms what we told you. We are evolving, pattern seeking apes with superstitious tendencies but not necessarily theistic.

Should we expect your humble apology?

(18-09-2016 01:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  He also sent me a paper which he said addressed my second question. Although the paper was marked, "Do not distribute," I found it elsewhere online.

So because someone else chose to violate the rule, it's okay for you too. Nice. The man takes the time to respond to your questions and you repay him by pirating his research.

Jeebus would be proud!

(18-09-2016 01:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  So my question to all of you is this:

Which type of atheist are you: 1, 2, 3 or 4?

I would be Type 13:

Atheist that is tired of listening to your dishonest bullshit and amazed at the levels of hypocrisy that you are capable of.

Carry on fucknut.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Anyone else bother to look at the poll results, and the jackass of a professional contrarian who broke the unanimous streak? Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
18-09-2016, 02:05 PM
(18-09-2016 01:51 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  This talk may be of some interest to anyone who is interested, as I am, on the origins of religion from a scientific perspective. It's by one of the authors of the paper I posted earlier. Watching it now:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lq4tC09GAZk

Are you looking for youtube buddies to watch videos with?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-09-2016, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2016 03:44 PM by Aliza.)
(18-09-2016 01:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Last night, I emailed three experts, Paul Bloom, Deb Kellemen, and Justin Barrett and asked them two questions:

1. Can you confirm that your research seems to indicate that most of us are born with a propensity to believe in a God or gods? (ie. see teleology in nature.)

2. How can we account for those people who are born without this innate belief?

Atheist Paul Bloom has responded. He confirmed Number 1 but clarified that seeing teleology in nature did not necessarily equate with belief in a god. He believes the first is innate and the second is not.

He also sent me a paper which he said addressed my second question. Although the paper was marked, "Do not distribute," I found it elsewhere online. Here it is:

http://willgervais.com/journal-articles/...-disbelief

The paper outlines 4 types of atheist:

1. Mind-blind
2. Apatheist
3. InCREDulous
4. Analytic

The paper states:

"We have identified four such pathways, although
there could be others that future research may discover.
Whereas mind-blind atheism does not ‘get’ religion,
apatheism and inCREDulous atheism are indifferent to-
wards religion, and analytic atheism is skeptical of and
rejects religion. These four paths to atheism are theoreti-
cally distinct, but are often intertwined in the real world."

The mind-blind atheist would roughly correspond with my term "atheopath" and because this has some history in the literature, I think I will, in future, switch my term for theirs.

So my question to all of you is this:

Which type of atheist are you: 1, 2, 3 or 4?

I don't have a fancy hypothesis here or anything, but what do you think makes you feel so compelled to be an idol worshiper? I wonder if there's a brain defect that causes idolatry to occur.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
18-09-2016, 02:07 PM
(18-09-2016 02:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 01:51 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  This talk may be of some interest to anyone who is interested, as I am, on the origins of religion from a scientific perspective. It's by one of the authors of the paper I posted earlier. Watching it now:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lq4tC09GAZk

Are you looking for youtube buddies to watch videos with?

Eli Bosnick is my co-pilot.

[Image: CkHZDU_XEAAPLLF.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-09-2016, 02:10 PM
(18-09-2016 02:04 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Anyone else bother to look at the poll results, and the jackass of a professional contrarian who broke the unanimous streak? Tongue

Now, now, EK, unlike some we believe in free freaks speech. Dodgy Consider

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
18-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Here is a link to the (PDF) paper that is summarized in the last working link by the OP.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7183/a1...fbbd45.pdf