Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
18-09-2016, 05:34 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
Men also have a shorter life span. And guess what? Dopamine affects that.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/11/co...nger-life/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Ah, I just realized why one of the "categories of atheists" he listed had CRED capitalized in the middle of the word. *ding!*

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-09-2016, 05:39 PM
(18-09-2016 05:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Ah, I just realized why one of the "categories of atheists" he listed had CRED capitalized in the middle of the word. *ding!*

This whole thread has got to be some kind of psychology experiment. The "Randy Ruggles" persona is too unbelievable to be real.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
18-09-2016, 05:39 PM
(18-09-2016 05:31 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  More links:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...male-brain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathizin...ing_theory

It's interesting to note that more males are atheists; more males are autistics; more males are scientists. Science requires systemizing. Males are also lower in empathy than females and so are atheists.
Citation needed here, Randy.
So are low dopamine levels connected to less empathy? Turns out they are:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2015/03/20/...82561.html
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-09-2016, 05:42 PM
(18-09-2016 04:50 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  And what causes lower dopamine levels? Perhaps a genetic mutation - as I originally proposed - or maybe it happens during the development of the fetus in the womb as is the case with homosexuality. This requires further investigation.

For fuck's sake, man, the term is "epigenetic". Just use the right word instead of making comparisons to homosexuals, whom we all know you also consider "broken" mentally.

Epigenetic differences do not necessarily mean broken. The range of possible expressions of a gene-set based on developmental factors can exist for any number of reasons other than "it is broken".

Most neurological development and/or settings in the endocrine system (including most of what controls our psychology) have epigenetic elements.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Randy, you do realize that when the professor you've been quoting says,

"However, people are not blindly led by their intuitions, they can also engage in analytic thinking to (at least sometimes) inhibit or override their intuitions. In the domain of supernatural cognition, analytic thinking tends to reduce belief in supernatural agents."

... that I could (if I were malicious or a bigot) twist that to say that it is people who give in to their intuitions about things even when the evidence is not there, or when there is contrary evidence, who are broken, and incapable of using analytic thinking.

Perhaps I'll write a nice, shiny-covered book that talks about how religious people can't tell the difference between their ideas about reality and actual reality because they have too much dopamine, rendering them "reason-blind", a condition I have changed the definition of "theopathy" to include.

[+] 13 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-09-2016, 06:26 PM
How could we ever determine whether or not religious belief is innate, since the vast majority of theists (if not 100% of them) learned their beliefs from their parents? We can't exactly do the experiment of raising infants in an intellectual vacuum to see what they end up believing.

I became an atheist by applying reason to my former religious beliefs, which were those of Roman Catholicism. But I wasn't a Roman Catholic because I was born with that belief -- it was taught to me by my parents, teachers, priests, etc. I was born with instincts and urges, but nothing at all that could be called a "belief".

By the way, I apologize to the forum for supporting this guy early in the thread. I thought he sounded legitimate at first. I was wrong.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-09-2016, 06:33 PM
He's going to keep up with the argument from authority until the hammer drops. There is so much science fail in his posts, it just defies belief. This has all the earmarks of the same sort of argumentation used by HJ.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-09-2016, 07:16 PM
WHOO-HOOO!

Low dopamine levels can be caused by a genetic mutation. Now, I have a hypothesis that can be tested. Low dopamine levels are also associated with sleeping disorders. How are you sleeping, guys? Wink

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuros...986pDVR2Bw
18-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Are you beginning to see a pattern here? (What am I saying? Of course you're not. You're atheopaths.) Wink

Sleep disorders affect 83% of children diagnosed with autism

http://treatautism.ca/2014/06/16/sleep-d...th-autism/