Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
18-09-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(18-09-2016 07:16 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  WHOO-HOOO!

Low dopamine levels can be caused by a genetic mutation. Now, I have a hypothesis that can be tested. Low dopamine levels are also associated with sleeping disorders. How are you sleeping, guys? Wink

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuros...986pDVR2Bw

Someone else has a hypothesis.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Ha, ha! Okay, just kidding. This one is anecdotal.

"I’ve come to the conclusion after a decade of not being able to sleep that the reason for it is that my mind constantly thinks about eternity.

"I’m an atheist, so I believe when we die, that’s it. The rest is an eternity of absolutely nothing . . ."

Atheist Cannot Sleep, Worrying About Eternity

https://askthepsych.com/atp/2010/03/01/a...-eternity/
18-09-2016, 07:48 PM

Low dopamine levels can be caused by a genetic mutation. Now, I have a hypothesis that can be tested. Low dopamine levels are also associated with sleeping disorders. How are you sleeping, guys? Wink

Do you now. Although we can tell that certain people with certain genetic disorders do not have the necessary enzymes to produce certain neurotransmitters, what test do you propose to measure the neurotransmitter levels beyond the blood/brain barrier of the general population ? Please let me know so I can tell my Doc so he can prescribe my meds based on those lab results instead of the trial and error approach he's been using.

#sigh
18-09-2016, 07:49 PM
(18-09-2016 01:54 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 01:40 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  More:

https://evolution-institute.org/article/...ligiosity/

Okay, so the paper you're referencing has nothing to do with Paul Bloom, Deb Kelemen, or Justin Barrett? Because the psychologists referenced in it are Ara Norenzayan and Will M. Gervais, both of whom pass my sniff test.

You see, we don't want to know who told you about the research. First and foremost, we want to know who did the research and what those people think. Did you not realize that?

I really don't think you're cut out for this sort of thing.

But to answer your question, I'm a theist about the Jewish G-d, but I'm an atheist about Jesus. I'm well read on this subject, so it's plain for me to see that Jesus and the Christian message are based on deliberately mistranslated Jewish texts combined with copious amounts of paganism from the Roman Empire. Because I did a lot of research to come to that conclusion, I guess that makes me a #4.

Since you are not an atheist, none of the categories apply. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2016, 07:51 PM
(18-09-2016 07:26 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Ha, ha! Okay, just kidding. This one is anecdotal.

"I’ve come to the conclusion after a decade of not being able to sleep that the reason for it is that my mind constantly thinks about eternity.

"I’m an atheist, so I believe when we die, that’s it. The rest is an eternity of absolutely nothing . . ."

I will cease to exist, and fairly soon, on a geological time scale. I get tired, I go to sleep. Your example of one is pathetic.

RR is a troll. HAND
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Wow. You're now using advice columns as source material. Facepalm

By all means, keep digging.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-09-2016, 08:00 PM
(18-09-2016 07:26 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Ha, ha! Okay, just kidding. This one is anecdotal.

That doesn't even make sense. What exactly is "an eternity of absolutely nothing" and why would anyone worry about it? That particular atheist sounds very confused and ignorant.

I've been known to sleep 12 hours on some of my days off, just because I can. No trouble sleeping here.
18-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Funny you should mention it, Randy... I was just wondering how the fuck you sleep at night, knowing what a practitioner of douchebaggery you are.

I'm not just insulting you, here... I really was wondering. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I routinely misrepresented facts, misquoted scientists, and based my worldview on the biggest case of confirmation bias in the history of pop psychology.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-09-2016, 08:11 PM
(18-09-2016 07:26 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  "I’m an atheist, so I believe when we die, that’s it. The rest is an eternity of absolutely nothing . . ."

On another note: Why is this idea frightening?

The universe is nearly 14 billion years old. My species has been here for the blink of an eye, in comparison, and I've only been here for a tiny fraction of that instant.

On the other side of that is the fact that the universe will continue for an unknown length of time after my demise. Maybe billions of years, maybe longer. Depends on which theory you look at.

But all we get is the blink of an eye.

Lastly, how much could we comprehend of eternity? Our finite, poorly evolved brains can't even handle the instant we have without deteriorating. And people worry about eternity?

Life is too short, too precious, to waste time wailing and crying to a nonexistent god who, according to his own fables, doesn't give a damn about you anyway.

[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-09-2016, 08:43 PM

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuros...986pDVR2Bw

Leave the science to the scientists, Randy.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post