Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
18-09-2016, 08:44 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
Randy, science is not a shotgun blast of links to misinterpreted preliminary studies on an internet forum. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-09-2016, 08:46 PM
(18-09-2016 07:16 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  WHOO-HOOO!

Low dopamine levels can be caused by a genetic mutation. Now, I have a hypothesis that can be tested. Low dopamine levels are also associated with sleeping disorders. How are you sleeping, guys?

So is schizophrenia, the real question is how are you sleeping?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18840034

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/200/4/273

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
18-09-2016, 10:25 PM
(18-09-2016 07:16 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Now, I have a hypothesis that can be tested. Low dopamine levels are also associated with sleeping disorders. How are you sleeping, guys?

Interesting.
So you now admit you didn't have one before.
You are a dumb shit, Randolph.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-09-2016, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2016 11:42 PM by Gloucester.)
(18-09-2016 08:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Funny you should mention it, Randy... I was just wondering how the fuck you sleep at night, knowing what a practitioner of douchebaggery you are.

I'm not just insulting you, here... I really was wondering. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I routinely misrepresented facts, misquoted scientists, and based my worldview on the biggest case of confirmation bias in the history of pop psychology.
Ah, but you see, my hypothesis is that Randy is a fundiopath and, therefore, inherently truth-blind. Since this condition is "normal" to him it presents no conflicts in his mind.

Edit: emboldened edited to reflect Bucky Ball's later improved form.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 6 users Like Gloucester's post
18-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Fundiopathy.
A mental condition known to end in terminal stupidity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the link to the paper Randy. It was a fascinating read that described a variety of different neurochemical, physiological, psychological, and sociological factors that might contribute to disbelief. I'll be filing that one away for future use.

Please note the emphasised bits:

Norenzayan & Gervais; 2013 Wrote:If mentalizing supports the mental representation of gods, then weaker mentalizing tendencies, associated with
the autistic spectrum and also commonly found in men more than in women, may undermine the intuitiveness of supernatural agents and reduce religious belief. Recent studies provide support for this hypothesis. First, the autism spectrum is associated with lower levels of belief in a personal God [24]. Second, men tend to be less religious than women, and men are overrepresented among atheists [32]. Crucially, mentalizing tendencies statistically mediate both of these effects, controlling for a number of potentially confounding factors [24]. Taken together, these findings support the hypothesis that one path towards greater disbelief arises from comparatively weak mentalizing abilities, which render the representation of personified divine beings unintuitive.

See? That's how honest scientific writing is done. The authors describe a hypothesis that may explain one tendency that could weaken belief. At no point do they refer to it is a theory nor do they suggest that it is the sole factor leading to any individual's atheism as you would like to do.

My single criticism is that the authors described their hypotheses as "four pathways leading to four distinct forms of atheism." Their thesis would have been strengthened by regarding them as four factors that can contribute to disbelief. Each could work independantly, resulting in an end-member type atheist such as the ones that they identify, but are much more likely to work together. It's a typical splitter/lumper argument.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-09-2016, 11:16 PM
(18-09-2016 04:50 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  And as I have previously mentioned, dopamine has been correlated to spiritual experiences (see the link below) so lower dopamine levels in the brain would inhibit those experiences.

Neurotransmitters won't help you Randy. The best you'll get within physiological norms is weak predispositions. In order to produce an individual who could not conceive of god you would have to drop the dopamine levels to truly pathological levels. At that point the patient would most accurately be identified as the guy twitching in the corner who will likely be dead by this time tomorrow.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
18-09-2016, 11:46 PM
Step 1

A hypothesis is an untested explanation for an observation.

You need an observation.

It isn't hard to show that atheists exist, we're busily shooting holes in your nonsense, but you have yet to demonstrate that "atheopaths" do.

You need to demonstrate that individuals are born with an inability to believe in god.

Failing that you might as well be yammering about unicorns. I can make a very effective argument for how one species of horse might have evolved a single horn high on its forhead. The rhinocerous evolved one on its snout. Elasmotherium had it dead to rights if it had been a horse.

[Image: 01.jpg]
Elasmotherium sibiricum lived as recently s 27,000 BCE.

From an evolutionary perspective it's a trivial task. Sexual selection has easily produced weirder. But without a unicorn or unicorn fossil I don't have an observation to base a hypothesis on. I'm simply playing "What If?"

[Image: eddd54e483cc09e673d1b525a1305c83.jpg]
Twighlight Sparkle after the glue factory

If you want to be taken seriously in any way you must start with that.

---
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
19-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Randy have you taken a single college level course in even basic maths, logic, or any science such as chemistry, physics, biology or even in philosophy? You throw around words like "science" without having the faintest clue what they mean.

Please in your own words state your understanding of the scientific method and why we use it to obtain knowledge instead of praying to God.

By the way the thought does strike me, you seem to lack faith, Randy. You're so hell-bent on crowbarring your God into a science framework. Isn't that a little demeaning? After all science is a human creation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-09-2016, 12:53 AM
(18-09-2016 01:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  The paper outlines 4 types of atheist:

1. Mind-blind
2. Apatheist
3. InCREDulous
4. Analytic

This forum is called "the thinking atheist" and not "the atheist that for some unknown reason can not believe in any god" for some reason. Facepalm

Add to this the fact that in most threads you will find atheists explaining that their base attitude is scepticism. Drinking Beverage
Then add to this the fact that this thread has 70+ pages, not because people dont understand why anyone can believe in a god ("atheopaths"), but because, sceptic as they are, they are trying to punch holes in your hypothesis. Smartass
Then finally, consider that a vast majority of forum members have admitted to having being christians for at least some part, if not most of it, of their lives.

Doesnt that soemhow narrow down the possible choices of this list?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post