Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-09-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(19-09-2016 07:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  As I have stated elsewhere, there were light and dark coloured moths from the beginning. All that was observed was a shift in the population size.

Prove it. You have no clue what color moths were, and there was no "from the beginning". You really are an ignoramus.

From the beginning ..... LMAO.
What "beginning" are you talking about ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2016, 07:42 PM
(14-09-2016 03:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 02:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  [quote='Randy Ruggles' pid='1059707' dateline='1473775847']
It's also interesting that since research shows that a higher percentage of homosexuals are atheists and that homosexuality likely happens in the womb due to a depletion of testosterone, this may further help to explain atheopathy.

It could be, perhaps, that all the hate and anti gay, spouted by religious leaders and followers, could make gay people feel rejected or picked on and then become shy of such religious nonsense and hence tend towards being a non believer.

Exactly.
19-09-2016, 07:44 PM
(14-09-2016 03:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Depends if they are talking in a science class.
Science goes by evolution. Evolution isn't driven by purpose, there is no end goal or objective, just a filtering out of "designs" that don't work, because they don't survive, thrive or prolifically procreate.

If the "science" teacher started talking of purpose, e.g. "a bird has wings so that it can fly", well, that's misleading but it isn't religious. Perhaps they are talking very looselyand meant instead that "wings enable a bird to fly".

If they say "an intelligent creator designed wings for a bird" then that is religious nonsense and the "science" teacher would rightly lose their job.

If a science teacher started teaching irreducible complexity, he would not only be accused of teaching something wrong, but for violating church and state.

And teaching that something exist to serve an end purpose is teaching that it is designed.

Any teacher teaching teleology as true would rightly be accused of peddling God beliefs into school.

A creationist would love to have someone like you on the courts, for which their attempts at teaching teleology, would be merely being accused of being false, rather than religious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loving your honest, straight forward comebacks, Tomasia. You appear to have a good heart and a brilliant mind.
19-09-2016, 07:50 PM
So I'm considering a title change for the book. If I'm going to dump the word "atheopath" in favour of the term "mind-blindness" from the peer-reviewed literature, what about, "The Blind Atheist"? Intentionally a play on Dawkins' book the Blind Watchmaker. There is another book with that title but, as I pointed out earlier, you can't copyright a title. And it also lends itself to talking about blind faith. Just a thought.
19-09-2016, 07:52 PM
(19-09-2016 07:10 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  And before you bring up Dawkins' speculation on how eyes evolved, I've seen it. Unimpressive at best.

I'm sure once Professor Dawkins hears of your disapproval that he will revise his theories immediately. Rolleyes

Berkley - eye

And don't be scared... homology does not refer to homosexuals. (Not sure why that's an issue for you, but whatever.)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
19-09-2016, 07:53 PM
(19-09-2016 07:50 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  So I'm considering a title change for the book. If I'm going to dump the word "atheopath" in favour of the term "mind-blindness" from the peer-reviewed literature, what about, "The Blind Atheist"? Intentionally a play on Dawkins' book the Blind Watchmaker. There is another book with that title but, as I pointed out earlier, you can't copyright a title. And it also lends itself to talking about blind faith. Just a thought.

A bad thought. You've changed the meaning, you lying son-of-a-bitch.
Where did you learn your intellectual dishonesty, you fraudulent cunt ?
And I ask that with the utmost respect you deserve. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-09-2016, 08:02 PM
(19-09-2016 07:42 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It could be, perhaps, that all the hate and anti gay, spouted by religious leaders and followers, could make gay people feel rejected or picked on and then become shy of such religious nonsense and hence tend towards being a non believer.

Exactly.

It's also been proven that Baptist preachers are far uglier than the average person. That accounts for their need to retreat into delusional thinking as a way to deal with their special condition. Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-09-2016, 08:07 PM
(19-09-2016 08:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 07:42 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  Exactly.

It's also been proven that Baptist preachers are far uglier than the average person. That accounts for their need to retreat into delusional thinking as a way to deal with their special condition. Rolleyes

Has anyone calculated the statistics for the number of clergy (of all faiths) that have participated in cover-ups or otherwise supported pedophilia? Not only do you have the actual pedophiles, but those who knowingly suppressed and abetted the offenders. That's got to be a statistically significant number.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
19-09-2016, 08:10 PM
(14-09-2016 11:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 10:52 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  ...
No one can rationally deny absolute truth - although I meet people (many of whom are atheists) who do it all the time.

I think that that would be the humanist atheists...

Quote:Humanist John Dewey (1859-1952), co-author and signer of the Humanist Manifesto 1 (1933), declared, "There is no God and there is no soul. Hence, there are no needs for the props of traditional religion. With dogma and creed excluded, then immutable truth is also dead and buried. There is no room for fixed, natural law or moral absolutes." Humanists believe one should do, as one feels is right.

David Wiggins was onto something with his distinction between anthropocentric truths and non-anthropocentric truths.

“Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun.”
~~ Max Weber

“My biggest mistake? Putting the monkeys in charge.”
~~ God

Drinking Beverage

"I think that that would be the humanist atheists..."

Could be. I also get it from New Agers who think everything is an illusion and perception is reality. I ask them, "Is that reality or just your perception?" So many smart people make self-refuting claims.

- "You can't know anything for sure." (How do you know that for sure?)
- "There's no such thing as absolute truth." (Is that absolutely true?)
- "You shouldn't judge other people." (Then why are you judging me for judging?)
- "True knowledge comes only through science." (What scientific experiment determined that?)

The fact remains that, while we might never be able to know absolute truth, and while the scientific method might be the best way to get close, we can't deny that absolute truth exists. To do so is irrational.
19-09-2016, 08:17 PM
(19-09-2016 07:50 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  So I'm considering a title change for the book. If I'm going to dump the word "atheopath" in favour of the term "mind-blindness" from the peer-reviewed literature, what about, "The Blind Atheist"? Intentionally a play on Dawkins' book the Blind Watchmaker. There is another book with that title but, as I pointed out earlier, you can't copyright a title. And it also lends itself to talking about blind faith. Just a thought.

The term "Mind-Blind" is possibly worse, in the sense of the people so accused. Blindness has a lot of negative connotation associated with it, especially with respect to the mind. Do you people have meetings where you come up with the worst way to express what you don't like about a population? Shameful.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post