Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
20-09-2016, 04:50 AM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
Quote:But that's a classic atheist tactic. Always accusing someone of lying, quote-mining or misrepresentation.

Tactic of which class of atheists?
The ones who are physiologically unable to believe in god(s) aka atheopaths?
The ones who come to their conclusion (atheism) by rational thinking?

These are both your definitions.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
20-09-2016, 04:57 AM
(20-09-2016 04:50 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:But that's a classic atheist tactic. Always accusing someone of lying, quote-mining or misrepresentation.

Tactic of which class of atheists?
The ones who are physiologically unable to believe in god(s) aka atheopaths?
The ones who come to their conclusion (atheism) by rational thinking?

These are both your definitions.

If offered a drawing of a circle and asked to define it in his own way he would probably describe, or draw it, as a square.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
20-09-2016, 05:45 AM
(20-09-2016 03:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 03:01 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  If not . . . Seek treatment at your earliest opportunity, you may need it.

I think stupidity of the Randyopathy type is incurable, but I guess it can't hurt to try.

It's truly amazing, that in 2016, these idiots are STILL fighting the century OLD bullshit from the Scopes Monkey Trial. The world has moved on and left their nonsense behind, yet they still flail about, lest their stupid holy book be seen to be inauthentic. What a waste of time. They need to get a real job.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-09-2016, 05:49 AM
(19-09-2016 07:30 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Beat me to it, Chas. I was gonna bring up nylonase next. Smile

Nylonase is a great one and I always forget to include it. It really is a killer example.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2016, 06:12 AM
(19-09-2016 10:25 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  -called us broken, corrupted mutants.

We're all broken corrupted mutants according to evolution. Evolution is based on mutations. They aren't necessarily a bad thing.

No, we are not. That is inaccurate and intentionally inflammatory language. You should be ashamed of yourself.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-09-2016, 06:14 AM
(19-09-2016 10:25 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  -linked atheism to autism.

That one is a fact. I proved it.

What do you think you proved?

Whether or not those with autism are more likely to be atheist says nothing about why anyone else is. You have assumed cause and effect, not proved it.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2016, 06:20 AM
(20-09-2016 06:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 10:25 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  -linked atheism to autism.

That one is a fact. I proved it.

What do you think you proved?

Whether or not those with autism are more likely to be atheist says nothing about why anyone else is. You have assumed cause and effect, not proved it.

Anyway, just goes to indicate that those with autism may have more intelligence than those who believe in the supernatural.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
20-09-2016, 06:21 AM
(19-09-2016 02:37 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My position is and has always been that people are just people, and if you come in here (as Randy did) with bigoted pop-psychology that attempted to label atheists as defective, you shouldn't be surprised if the group starts telling you what a jackass you are.

Similarly, since you seem incapable of discussing something without trying to slur the people to whom you speak (a tendency of which several of our posters are guilty, as well), you should not be surprised when we are abusive to you in return. "You get what you give", as the old saying goes.

I'm all about "getting what you give", if someone's a dishonest turd, I likely loose my patience with you. Clearly we've had many exchanges were I wasn't particularly abusive to you, that changed recently particularly with your dishonest nonsense in the historicity debate. And there's a variety of posters I'm not particularly mean to. So if i'm abusive towards you, don't think it has anything to do with your lack of belief in God. If I don't like you, it would have nothing to do with the fact that you lack a belief in God.

Quote:You're the little bitch, though, who keeps trying to call me a name you think is clever because you're too petty to realize that you can only get away with that in an internet forum. Doubtless, this is the draw of this place, for you... you can abuse the people you disdain to your little black heart's content, and we can't choke the air out of you until you pass out, in return... so we are left to tell you what a little bitch you are, instead.

lol, says the guy on the internet threatening to choke the air out of me, for calling him Felecia. I say a lot worse things to people in person, but surprisingly haven't gotten the air choked out of me yet. Where you from anyway? Perhaps we can grab a beer or something.

Quote:The fact that you fall into the same category as the fundies who can't seem to get along with others is your own fault, not ours.

It's not hard to be liked here, you just have to preserve the status qua. Avoid being harsh, or being too critical of people's silly assertions. Sorry that's not me, I care very little if someone on the internet doesn't like me. You can be abusive, you won't see me complaining about it, but I'll likely dish it right back at you, and enjoy it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
20-09-2016, 06:26 AM
(20-09-2016 06:20 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Anyway, just goes to indicate that those with autism may have more intelligence than those who believe in the supernatural.

Yet those with autism are "unintelligent" when it comes to understanding people, recognizing social ques, reading literature that incorporates symbols and metaphors. They tend to have a handicapped theory of mind. They can exceedingly intelligent in certain areas, but clueless in others.

In fact some research suggest that the gene that allows those on the autistic spectrum to be keen in particular areas, is also the cause of what makes them less keen in other areas.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
20-09-2016, 06:35 AM
(19-09-2016 03:17 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 02:53 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  The words "you folks" or "you people" are a clear indicator that any pretence at rational discussion has been abandonned.
Certainly looks like a "them and us" scenario...

Later: what's the difference between "groupthink" and "a concensus opinion"?

Well here, the groupthink resulted in a series of irrational defenses, in defense of the group. How else to explain the series of nonsensical responses that followed earlier.

My assumption is that as the world outside looks a little shittier, that people tend to dig themselves deeper into their groups, and in this case an internet group, becoming more defensive of it's members, even if that requires one to be irrational. It's why the last several post have been to individuals interjecting themselves in harsh replies to posters who clearly deserved what they got. I get it, everyone protective of their homies, even their homie turds.