Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
21-09-2016, 11:32 AM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
Google's definition of "supernatural" is -

Quote:(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

I have issues with that, had they said -

(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the known laws of nature.

or even -

(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding of the laws of nature.

I would be happier, gives things more balance. A chap called Donald (no, not that one) said something about the "unknown unknowns". Perhaps he was misjudged!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2016, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2016 12:09 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
I was certainly not convicted of check fraud. I'd like to know what state makes a person serve 9 years for that. The maximum penalty is 4 years, here, with parole in 1 1/2.

I have a very common name, so I'm not surprised you turned up something silly. I also tried to look up the public records of what had been published about my case at the time, when I got out, but found that the newspaper for the town in which I lived did not digitize their print edition until a couple of years after I was locked up, so unless you're creepy enough to go look at microfiche, I doubt it'll turn up.

I did post on Facebook about the fact that I was recently the *victim* of check fraud, via my (Christian) business partner who wrote checks on our company's account name to clean out the savings I'd put into it, so perhaps you're confused.

You now become the lone resident on my Ignore list. Congrats!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-09-2016, 12:06 PM
(21-09-2016 12:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was certainly not convicted of check fraud. I'd like to know what state makes a person serve 9 years for that. The maximum penalty is 4 years, here, with parole in 1 1/2.

I have a very common name, so I'm not surprised you turned up something silly. I also tried to look up the public records of what had been published about my case at the time, when I got out, but found that the newspaper for the town in which I lived did not digitize their print edition until a couple of years after I was locked up, so unless you're creepy enough to go look at microfiche, I doubt it'll turn up.

I did post on Facebook about the fact that I was recently the *victim* of check fraud, via my (Christian) business partner who wrote checks on our company's account name to clean out the savings I'd put into it, so perhaps you're confused.

You now become the lone resident on my Ignore list. Congrats!

I'm surprised you even bothered to respond to him (Tomasia, if anyone is wondering). He is a dick and a half.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
21-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Yeah I considered just letting it go. But I felt the "check fraud" thing was too funny not to respond to. But no worries; I'm done.

Bein' Felicia, and all that. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
21-09-2016, 12:34 PM
(21-09-2016 12:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yeah I considered just letting it go. But I felt the "check fraud" thing was too funny not to respond to. But no worries; I'm done.

Bein' Felicia, and all that. Laugh out load

I enjoy it. Please continue. Watching arrogant assholes get smacked down is like the only hobby I have.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-09-2016, 01:00 PM
(21-09-2016 12:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was certainly not convicted of check fraud. I'd like to know what state makes a person serve 9 years for that. The maximum penalty is 4 years, here, with parole in 1 1/2.

It was some sort of check scheme, and as I recall it was also about 10 years in prison for this Robert as well. It likely could have been someone else with your name. If I recollect your last name I'll google it for you and link to it. Though I do find it interesting there's no newspaper articles of not just your conviction, but the exoneration after 10 years in jail, of a supposed big time drug dealer, who single handily sent three guys to the infirmary. I would think the exoneration would at least get a blurb somewhere.

Quote:I did post on Facebook about the fact that I was recently the *victim* of check fraud, via my (Christian) business partner who wrote checks on our company's account name to clean out the savings I'd put into it, so perhaps you're confused.

Nah, this was a while back, and I forgot your last name since.

Quote:You now become the lone resident on my Ignore list. Congrats!

Oh man, and I was hoping to hear more about your Donnie Yin fight stories. Maybe over beer one day.

Until then, bye Felecia.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-09-2016, 01:14 PM
(21-09-2016 01:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

It was some sort of check scheme, and as I recall it was also about 10 years in prison for this Robert as well. It likely could have been someone else with your name. If I recollect your last name I'll google it for you and link to it. Though I do find it interesting there's no newspaper articles of not just your conviction, but the exoneration after 10 years in jail, of a supposed big time drug dealer, who single handily sent three guys to the infirmary. I would think the exoneration would at least get a blurb somewhere.

Shocking

Do you hear the words in your head as they fly off your fingertips? Why are you internet-stalking people?! That is really weird. Even if someone puts their name out there, it's beyond strange that you would put so much effort into digging up their past. Why do you want to know so much about the personal life of some guy on an internet forum?

Note to self: Remove photographs and personal information from forum so Tomasia doesn't show up at my doorstep to rape and murder me.
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
21-09-2016, 01:19 PM
(21-09-2016 01:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Do you hear the words in your head as they fly off your fingertips? Why are you internet-stalking people?! That is really weird. Even if someone puts their name out there, it's beyond strange that you would put so much effort into digging up their past. Why do you want to know so much about the personal life of some guy on an internet forum?

But he's a "Christian-who-needs-no-Jebus". Facepalm
(And he's "just here to learn") Weeping

Seriously, the forum rules SPECIFICALLY prohibit attempting to interfere in someone's private life. People get banned for that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2016, 01:20 PM
(21-09-2016 01:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 01:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It was some sort of check scheme, and as I recall it was also about 10 years in prison for this Robert as well. It likely could have been someone else with your name. If I recollect your last name I'll google it for you and link to it. Though I do find it interesting there's no newspaper articles of not just your conviction, but the exoneration after 10 years in jail, of a supposed big time drug dealer, who single handily sent three guys to the infirmary. I would think the exoneration would at least get a blurb somewhere.

Shocking

Do you hear the words in your head as they fly off your fingertips? Why are you internet-stalking people?! That is really weird. Even if someone puts their name out there, it's beyond strange that you would put so much effort into digging up their past. Why do you want to know so much about the personal life of some guy on an internet forum?

Note to self: Remove photographs and personal information from forum so Tomasia doesn't show up at my doorstep to rape and murder me.

Think I saw this on Criminal Minds. Or maybe it was Law&Order? Now I remember, it was Elementary. Think they called it "catfishing" or something.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Tomasia is the kind of theist that gives religion a seriously bad name.

Compared to him even Randy Ruggles is a paragon of good manners. Still, typically full of lies but, usually, fairly polite lies.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.