Poll: I accept the premise that we are born believers because of evolution.
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
21-09-2016, 02:33 PM
RE: Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(21-09-2016 01:40 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Impressive list...

(17-09-2016 03:55 PM)Randy Ruggles Wrote:  - Newton - Physics
- Galileo - Physics, astronomy
- Kepler - Physics, astronomy
- Boyle - Chemistry
- Bacon - Scientific method
- Linnaeus - Taxonomy
- Maury - Oceanography
- Pasteur - Biochemistry
- Mendel - Genetics
- Burnet - Geology

All were committed Christians whose faith drove their scientific research...

... except for one small detail: they're all dead, and none was alive this century—and some lived hundreds of years ago.
This fact obviously influenced their religious beliefs. So here's my shortlist of atheist scientists who are still alive:

Neil deGrasse Tyson
James Watson
Craig Venter
Leonard Susskind
Sir Roger Penrose
P Z Myers
Lawrence Krauss
Steve Jones
Peter Higgs
Stephen Hawking
Richard Dawkins
Brian Cox

I can't help but notice that whenever theists offer up a listing of scientists who believe in gods, the majority are invariably dead.
Which is easily explained by the exponential advances in the sciences during the past 100 years—and the decline of religion.

Rugbug could have added James Clerk Maxwell and Michael Faraday, also dead but instrumental in building our modrn technology.

But, as I said before, in their time it was either almost illegal, certainly dangerous, not to be a Christian, a requirement for entry into the church dominated higher schools and universities or just "the done thing". Their intelligence owed little to their faith per se, though their work ethic may have done do.

Faith has no claim on genius, if a human has the right genes, drive and opportunity genius will win regardless of belief. (Michael Faraday was the son of a poor blacksmith - like me! Where did I go wrong? Confused)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
21-09-2016, 02:38 PM
(21-09-2016 02:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Yeah, I'm mundane. I live a dull, boring life. Stay the fuck out of my backyard. I got the cops on speed dial.

Not sure how you ended up making yourself some victim here? Or how I became some aspect of your murder/rape paranoia, all based on looking up why some body was in jail for 10 years. If this is the sort of inconsequential shit that keeps you up at night, you must live your life in constant fear, especially of us dark skinned men.

Oh jeez, now it's racism Rolleyes It's because you implied that you'd already poked your nose into her affairs with "you on the other hand, don't seem to have anything as interesting going on".

You've found one thing that RS is a bit sensitive about, understandably, and here you go just piling on, dragging it all out. Must be all that Christian charity I heard tell about. Keep it up Tommy, you living advert for your religion you Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Glad I have set Tom Asia to "ignore". Now I don't have to wade through all the crap 'cos you guys filter it for me!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-09-2016, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2016 04:03 PM by Tomasia.)
Feedback requested on a new hypothesis on the origin of atheism
(21-09-2016 02:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 02:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Not sure how you ended up making yourself some victim here? Or how I became some aspect of your murder/rape paranoia, all based on looking up why some body was in jail for 10 years. If this is the sort of inconsequential shit that keeps you up at night, you must live your life in constant fear, especially of us dark skinned men.

Oh jeez, now it's racism Rolleyes It's because you implied that you'd already poked your nose into her affairs with "you on the other hand, don't seem to have anything as interesting going on".

You've found one thing that RS is a bit sensitive about, understandably, and here you go just piling on, dragging it all out. Must be all that Christian charity I heard tell about. Keep it up Tommy, you living advert for your religion you Smile

lol i don't think the guy bragging about his jail time, of how he supposedly singly handily sent three people to the infirmary, in support of how much of a tough guy he is, is sensitive about his prison time. Particularly since he's the one that initially brought it up in the first place, not me.

If it's supposed to be a sensitive topic, don't use it to try to add meat to threats of violence. If you do it's fair game. And I'll call you out on it if I feel like it.

Also I'm not sure where or when I've ever suggested I poked my nose into Aliza's affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-09-2016, 03:56 PM
(21-09-2016 02:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Oh jeez, now it's racism Rolleyes It's because you implied that you'd already poked your nose into her affairs with "you on the other hand, don't seem to have anything as interesting going on".

Yeah, he's played the racism card before.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-09-2016, 07:34 PM
It seems to be that our dear "friend" Tomasia is wrestling with his sexuality.

Just suck a cock.

You may like it.

Then you won't have to worry anymore.

Later you can marry and live in a rainbow coloured house.

Delightful!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
21-09-2016, 07:52 PM
(21-09-2016 03:56 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 02:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Oh jeez, now it's racism Rolleyes It's because you implied that you'd already poked your nose into her affairs with "you on the other hand, don't seem to have anything as interesting going on".

Yeah, he's played the racism card before.

What? That avatar is actually his pic? Who'dathunk. I just figured it was some pic he nicked off the internet, like a lot of us do (myself included).

That rainbow part reminds of a joke I learned many moons ago. Why does the Navy have Marines on their ships? Sheep would be too obvious. Maybe Tommy boy is trying to tell us something, claiming that he was a Marine. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
21-09-2016, 09:51 PM
(21-09-2016 02:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...] If this is the sort of inconsequential shit that keeps you up at night, you must live your life in constant fear, especially of us dark skinned men.

Skin colour has nothing to do with it—unless you're practicing a bit of "reverse racism" with this comment.

It IS to do with people who believe in paranormal events and supernatural entities.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-09-2016, 09:57 PM
(21-09-2016 03:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...] I don't think the guy bragging about his jail time, of how he supposedly singly handily sent three people to the infirmary, in support of how much of a tough guy he is, is sensitive about his prison time. Particularly since he's the one that initially brought it up in the first place, not me.

You're floggin' a dead horse mate. Give it up.

[Image: ce0.gif]

Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
22-09-2016, 12:10 AM
(21-09-2016 03:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  lol i don't think the guy bragging about his jail time, of how he supposedly singly handily sent three people to the infirmary, in support of how much of a tough guy he is, is sensitive about his prison time. Particularly since he's the one that initially brought it up in the first place, not me.
He has discussed it before but not the details. You try being jailed for ten years without cause and tell me that you wouldn't be a little bitter? You're the one who having found out about it pressed for details, went so far as to google search and facebook stalk in the attempt to find out and then tried to pass it off as perfectly normal, after having managed to rile the guy enough with your stupid comments.

Quote:If it's supposed to be a sensitive topic, don't use it to try to add meat to threats of violence. If you do it's fair game. And I'll call you out on it if I feel like it.
Oh look at you, the defender of justice Dodgy Calling out bad behaviour when you see it. Twat. I personally don't see the point of all that macho shit for sure, so I can agree with you there, but you fueled it yourself with all your own posturing. How does it feel to be the alpha ape?

Quote:Also I'm not sure where or when I've ever suggested I poked my nose into Aliza's affairs.
I quoted you, the exact line. Again, subject to interpretation but given the context it definitely came across as creepy.

But it's not really a big deal Tommy, you *are* a poor oppressed Christian among all the heathens. Stand up for your faith! Every time we *unjustly* call you a giant douche for Jesus it makes you stronger right? Jesus *did* say you would be persecuted.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post