Feel Unrepresented by the US 2-Party System?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: Feel Unrepresented by the US 2-Party System?
From the last election, I was more so leaning to the Green Party, not just because I am a Hort. major but also because some of Jill's views I did personally agree with, about 8 times out of 10 I agreed with her.

From this whole two party system, I am not a person of either party.

Republicans can be asshats in suits who pocket the money everywhere they can and with their swollen beer belly tell you they are all for the people. I'd like to more so say they are the donkey in this, but the elephant makes sense with how big their lies are in the dark room, yet people only feel certain parts.

Democrats are these rat faced people who remind me of the stereotype bowler hat evil mustache man who promises you everything so long as you agree with whatever he says and don't bad mouth his top advisers. I say rat as because then things get tough you don't seem to hear a lot from the main part but rather the people who subscribe to said party throw the sparks.

So I'm staying independent thank you very much.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2017, 05:40 PM
(24-03-2017 05:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Lobbyists and Citizens United need to be upended first, IMO

A strong justification for Citizens United being allowed to continue what they do is the 1st Amendment.

I'm not saying I disagree with you but when I heard it explained I could see why it's a dilemma for the courts.

I've heard it explained, too. I do not agree with the legal decision that corporations are people. Corporations are run by people; they have "interests" but those interests are ultimately the interests of the executives, shareholders, and (occasionally) workers. Defining corporations as persons is a legal strategy designed to shield humans from the consequences, intended and un, of their actions. I'm having none of it.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
24-03-2017, 05:58 PM
(24-03-2017 11:34 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Thoughts?

I'm a moderate Democrat who has never yet voted for a Republican, and probably won't either. Their climate change denial and other varieties of post-factual politics have completely turned me off to them. I have very few problems with Democratic policies, including their stance on regulated capitalism. As long as people are interested in jobs, politicians will have to pay attention to corporate interests.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
24-03-2017, 07:46 PM
I think we could have 18 parties. It doesn't matter.
Who really 'runs' the government is a select group of billionaires and lobbyists.

Watch this. It's fucking depressing:

https://represent.us/action/theproblem-3/

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
25-03-2017, 12:11 AM
(24-03-2017 05:40 PM)julep Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 05:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  A strong justification for Citizens United being allowed to continue what they do is the 1st Amendment.

I'm not saying I disagree with you but when I heard it explained I could see why it's a dilemma for the courts.

I've heard it explained, too. I do not agree with the legal decision that corporations are people. Corporations are run by people; they have "interests" but those interests are ultimately the interests of the executives, shareholders, and (occasionally) workers. Defining corporations as persons is a legal strategy designed to shield humans from the consequences, intended and un, of their actions. I'm having none of it.

... and aside from that, those people who compose the corporation are perfectly able to donate politically as they see fit within the scope of the law.
25-03-2017, 02:08 AM
(24-03-2017 01:25 PM)Goosesniper Wrote:  I love the US 2 party system. In Canada we have 5 or 6. It makes it hard to get things done at times. At times parties join on both sides of centre. It splits votes. Too watered down in my opinion. What is shocking in the Canadian system is the liberals just won 100 percent of power with only 39.5 percent of the vote. First past the post system.

Only 5 or six? Big Grin

Here in Australia we have FOURTEEN. I kid you not. We currently have a coalition government made up of four of them, although our government is usually described as a de-facto two-party system—the Liberals (right-wing, corporatist) and Labor (left wing, unionist) parties.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
25-03-2017, 05:04 AM
The good thing about the two party system is it keeps fringe groups out of office. The bad thing about it is being a centrist in today's world means accepting an ecological apocalypse.
25-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Feel Unrepresented by the US 2-Party System?
(25-03-2017 02:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 01:25 PM)Goosesniper Wrote:  I love the US 2 party system. In Canada we have 5 or 6. It makes it hard to get things done at times. At times parties join on both sides of centre. It splits votes. Too watered down in my opinion. What is shocking in the Canadian system is the liberals just won 100 percent of power with only 39.5 percent of the vote. First past the post system.

Only 5 or six? Big Grin

Here in Australia we have FOURTEEN. I kid you not. We currently have a coalition government made up of four of them, although our government is usually described as a de-facto two-party system—the Liberals (right-wing, corporatist) and Labor (left wing, unionist) parties.

Shit. Australians must be frustrated. Is there any talks of reform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
25-03-2017, 07:20 AM
They got other parties, you get the constitution parties & nazi party... justice party. All the good never win nothing parties

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
25-03-2017, 09:06 AM
(25-03-2017 07:05 AM)Goosesniper Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 02:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Only 5 or six? Big Grin

Shit. Australians must be frustrated. Is there any talks of reform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point of reform when you have an uninterested uneducated electorate? Two parties or ten makes no difference.

Here in Canada we voted for $20+ billion deficits for years to come because people liked the PM's last name and he has nice hair.

In the States you got people voting that didn't know that the Affordable Care Act was Obamacare, and it's not like it wasn't the most important issue in the election or anything! Dodgy

I think the best reform we could have is maybe have a basic skill testing question before you can vote.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post