Feel Unrepresented by the US 2-Party System?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: Feel Unrepresented by the US 2-Party System?
(25-03-2017 09:06 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 07:05 AM)Goosesniper Wrote:  Shit. Australians must be frustrated. Is there any talks of reform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point of reform when you have an uninterested uneducated electorate? Two parties or ten makes no difference.

Here in Canada we voted for $20+ billion deficits for years to come because people liked the PM's last name and he has nice hair.

In the States you got people voting that didn't know that the Affordable Care Act was Obamacare, and it's not like it wasn't the most important issue in the election or anything! Dodgy

I think the best reform we could have is maybe have a basic skill testing question before you can vote.

They could require people to pass the citizenship test.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
25-03-2017, 03:01 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/emilys-list-a...18927.html

LADIES FIRST. EMILY’s List announced Wednesday that more than 10,000 women have reached out to the group since Hillary Clinton lost the presidential election to say they want to run for office, a record number in such a short time for the group.

“Over ten thousand women isn’t a ripple — it’s a wave,” said EMILY’s List president Stephanie Schriock in a statement. “The thousands of women who have reached out to EMILY’s List since the election are a testament to the energy, determination, and resistance we’ve seen from Day One of Donald Trump’s presidency.”

The number of women reaching out to express interest in entering the political arena is “roughly ten times as many as reached out during the entire 2016 election cycle, from January 2015 to last November,” according to Fortune’s World’s Most Powerful Women newsletter, which has been tracking the surge in women’s interest in running for office since earlier this year.

----

Well, if you don't like the politics of today, one can bitch and moan or get organized and change it all by direct action. And 2018 may be an interesting off year election. Young women voters were noticeably absent from the voting booths but seem to have waken up with election of Trump and the feral pig herd of congressmen of the GOP running everything now.

Sometimes, if you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
25-03-2017, 03:16 PM
How long you think it'll be before an effort is made to elect someone, anyone, who isn't a Dem, or Repub. I've liked some Independents, but never wanted to throw away my say by "voting my conscious" Rolleyes That's how retarded assholes get elected. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
25-03-2017, 03:30 PM
(25-03-2017 03:16 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  How long you think it'll be before an effort is made to elect someone, anyone, who isn't a Dem, or Repub. I've liked some Independents, but never wanted to throw away my say by "voting my conscious" Rolleyes That's how retarded assholes get elected. Dodgy

Yeah, it's a problem. You often get to vote for half a loaf or a wet cow pat of a candidate. There are a lot of progressive efforts going on now to get more progressives running, mostly as Democrats.

Hopefully in the long run, things might change for the better.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
25-03-2017, 06:40 PM
"Retarded assholes" or not, I refuse to play the lesser evil game anymore. I'm the opposite. I won't waste my vote on a Democrat or Republican if it means succumbing to the delusion that either one of them is looking out for my interests.. A vote spent elsewhere might seem meaningless in the short term, but if I'm just as unhappy with either option than I'd rather cast a symbolic vote for the dismantling of the two party system and hope that a few more people follow that trend each cycle. Then maybe 200 years from now we'll finally have the leverage to elect someone worth electing.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-03-2017, 07:40 PM
It's worse than meaningless to vote for someone you don't want making decisions for you. It's signing on to your own oppression. On a hate scale of 1-10 I put Trump at a 10 and Hillary as a 3. I will never vote for someone I hate. It's an insult to my dignity as a person. I wouldn't vote for Trump with a gun to my head. I would vote for Hillary with a gun to my head but I'd still rather have taken a blow to my kneecap with a crowbar.
25-03-2017, 08:26 PM
(24-03-2017 01:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The only thing the two parties agree on is that there should be only two parties. Check out the election laws and the hurdles they create and you will see the problem.

Seriously, when I was in grad school in Pennsylvania, a third party challenger for US Senate managed to get enough signatures to be on a televised debate with the Democrat and Republican candidates. Both of them through immediate challenge on that and a judge belonging to one of the major parties invalidated his signatures posthaste. Also they needed some ridiculously small number of signatures in the thousands to appear, and he needed like 10-20 times that amount as a third party.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2017, 08:32 PM
(25-03-2017 08:26 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 01:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The only thing the two parties agree on is that there should be only two parties. Check out the election laws and the hurdles they create and you will see the problem.

Seriously, when I was in grad school in Pennsylvania, a third party challenger for US Senate managed to get enough signatures to be on a televised debate with the Democrat and Republican candidates. Both of them through immediate challenge on that and a judge belonging to one of the major parties invalidated his signatures posthaste. Also they needed some ridiculously small number of signatures in the thousands to appear, and he needed like 10-20 times that amount as a third party.

It's not surprising that the people we WILLINGLY GIVE power to, legislate to preserve their power, is it?
25-03-2017, 08:46 PM
(25-03-2017 08:32 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 08:26 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Seriously, when I was in grad school in Pennsylvania, a third party challenger for US Senate managed to get enough signatures to be on a televised debate with the Democrat and Republican candidates. Both of them through immediate challenge on that and a judge belonging to one of the major parties invalidated his signatures posthaste. Also they needed some ridiculously small number of signatures in the thousands to appear, and he needed like 10-20 times that amount as a third party.

It's not surprising that the people we WILLINGLY GIVE power to, legislate to preserve their power, is it?

Not especially, sadly. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Quote:and a president whose job was to manage all of them.

As of yesterday it is apparent that we have a president who cannot manage one.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!