Feeling Blah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Feeling Blah
(11-08-2014 01:35 AM)MrSkeptic Wrote:  My deconversion happened over a period of a few years, not due to any scientific evidence, or debates, etc. I never listened to the other side of the argument, but just insisted on reading apologetics to stay protected in my little box of a world. I became an atheist technically a week ago. I had always been skeptical and would bother christian friends with questions like, "Does it seem odd that John the Baptist and Jesus were cousins (asserting they were in Cahoots).?" Now, my problem is that I used to feel I could get by and say "Creationism". I have a real thirst for learning science...something I wasn't interested in before, because I believed the bible held life's answers. My problem is that I feel like there's a lot to learn, and that I may not be intelligent enough to learn it. Did anybody ever feel this way when starting out?

Nothing to feel "Blah" about, although you could look at it as having a favorite sports team until you realize they suck.

Don't expect yourself to become an expert. Yes there is a lot to learn, but where I am now took 13 years. The good part is most of that was reading the arguments of other atheists online. I do that daily every day. You don't have to spend hours on it but other atheists can give you things you may not have thought about.

I have read lots of books over that time.

My "Must" book list is.....

The God Delusion....Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great.....Christohper Hitchens
The New Atheism....Victor Stenger
The End of Faith......Sam Harris
Letter To A Christian Nation......Sam Harris
Infidel....Ayaan Hersi Ali

Terms you should know.

The problem caused by "Infinite Regress"
Occam's Razor
Fallacy of Pascal's wager

But the most important thing about accepting or rejecting any claim is evidence. Not emotional or moral reasons. If a claim cannot be taken into a lab and tested and falsified and peer reviewed and or does not have backing by the majority of the top scientists in the world, then that claim merely amounts to the personal bias of the person who makes it.

But a simple way of looking at all god claims is simple.

Which makes more sense to you, a god actually existing, or humans make gods up?

I find knowing it takes a ray of light 100,000 years to cross the galaxy awesome. Knowing that the gravity of a black hole wont allow light to escape, is awesome. Knowing that a photon that hits the earth started at the center of the sun millions of years ago, is awesome. Knowing gravity affects time is awesome.

There is no superstition or religion that can hold a candle to our current knowledge of how the universe works, even if you are not or will not be an expert in all those things.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Yes, it can be overwhelming. But, Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say. The problem isn't the vast amount of info that you feel you need to learn, but rather that you sense you might not be capable of learning it all. No one can know everything...so, just do what you can, with where you are, today. Never look at the entire mountain, but rather look at just the few steps in front of you leading up to it. Eventually, you'll reach the peak before you know it...

One day at a time. Smile

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing.
~ Edmund Burke
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
24-08-2014, 04:08 PM
(21-08-2014 03:37 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  My "Must" book list is.....

Never read any of them. Now Nietszche, Camus, Sartre, and Wittgenstein I got a clue.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-08-2014, 03:01 PM
(21-08-2014 03:37 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  My "Must" book list is.....

I suggest adding God: The Failed Hypothesis, Victor J. Stenger

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2014, 03:20 PM
(21-08-2014 03:37 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Nothing to feel "Blah" about,

And nothing to get hung about.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.