Feeling a bit low recently

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2018, 03:10 AM
RE: Feeling a bit low recently
(04-01-2018 03:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Hug
Thanks Deese Smile much appreciated!

(04-01-2018 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Please don't view seeing a therapist as "throwing in the towel". No
There is no one anywhere ever who couldn't benefit from some kind of help at some point. Would you not call for help if you were drowning?

Have you talked with your doctor about adjusting your medications? Consider
Cheer Chas. And yep I agree with you on that first point. I think I've worded this mildly wrong (I'm having a real hard time concentrating at the moment), but the idea was that I thought I was done having anxiety attacks/feeling garbage all the time, and see this as kind of tapping out and having to go over it all over again. It's not a bad thing by any stretch, and if anything I've been putting it off for a few weeks now, assuming I'd work through it but it's mainly just getting worse.

Med's wise, I can go on a higher dosage. I was only on a very low dose, by my own request, as it's difficult to come off of it as/when you need to do so as it gives you real bad withdrawal symptoms. I was told these are the only ones I can be on, without being on some form of sedative, so I'll check in with them tomorrow.

(04-01-2018 05:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hugs OT, I'm so proud of you for getting help Smile Just a few more days to make it through and you have all of us for support every step of the way.
Cheers Jenny! Almost there now. With it being Friday, I feel a bit calmer anyway, as it's end of week/chill out time anyway, so it's all good.

(04-01-2018 05:43 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I was shocked, when I heard, myself. Soundgarden was up in my Top 5 throughout my High School years, and beyond. It's not silly to miss Chris!! Hug

Glad to hear you got in touch with yo Doctor man. Just hang in there till Saturday! Flex Iz only day-&-a-morning away!
No worries Gulegon, This time around it's more me being a total spanner than being out Chris Cornell, which was the original source of an earlier "episode" last year, but still I can't believe he's gone.

Doctors wise, I'm booked in and ready to go, so hopefully we'll get some sort of change there. I'm very up and down at the moment. One week I'm really on the edge of totally losing it, and other days I'm my "old" self which is chilled as a cucumber lol.

God never finds you at a good time. You’re never sittin’ courtside at a Knicks game gettin’ a hand job from Halle Berry, God shows up. “Ah, she strokes a good dick, don’t she? I made her! I made your dick, too. Enjoy the game!” - Chris Rock
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
05-01-2018, 04:19 AM
Update: doctors have called me, saying some thing have been moved about and I can get in later today! WOO!

God never finds you at a good time. You’re never sittin’ courtside at a Knicks game gettin’ a hand job from Halle Berry, God shows up. “Ah, she strokes a good dick, don’t she? I made her! I made your dick, too. Enjoy the game!” - Chris Rock
[+] 5 users Like OakTree500's post
05-01-2018, 05:29 AM
Soon, i might have to face the facts and tackle this problem too. Blush Angry
But i don tlike the prospect of being on meds that make you *robotic*. A co worker of mine was on those meds after a burnout, and he told me a lot about how it feels like.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
05-01-2018, 05:39 AM
(05-01-2018 05:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Soon, i might have to face the facts and tackle this problem too. Blush Angry
But i don tlike the prospect of being on meds that make you *robotic*. A co worker of mine was on those meds after a burnout, and he told me a lot about how it feels like.
I find it difficult to explain to people, as without the meds I'm "me", despite maybe being highly anxious all the time. I don't like being that way, but it's partly the way I am. I'm not entirely sure if I've just become used to the way I feel sans medication, and just accept that as the "normal" me, having completely forgotten what I used to really be like before all this started. I know without it, at very worst, I'm just highly emotional, getting caught up in songs/movies/all sorts of stuff that make me want to cry etc.

That being said, on the medication, whilst it did deal with my anxiety issues/help reduce my panic attacks/help me concentrate more and all that side of things, I just kind of felt like I was completely devoid of emotion at all. Like I was merely "existing" and pretty much nothing else. I know my wife prefers me on the meds, which I'm not sure bodes well for me generally, and I honestly don't mind it, I just don't like the thought of never really being "me" every again....if that makes any sense at all.

Like I'd rather be anxious/emotional/unable to concentrate/have panic attacks etc, than be some emotionless droid....because that's the real "me".

EH, I don't know any more.

05-01-2018, 11:40 AM
(05-01-2018 05:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(05-01-2018 05:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Soon, i might have to face the facts and tackle this problem too. Blush Angry
I find it difficult to explain to people, as without the meds I'm "me", despite maybe being highly anxious all the time. I don't like being that way, but it's partly the way I am. I'm not entirely sure if I've just become used to the way I feel sans medication, and just accept that as the "normal" me, having completely forgotten what I used to really be like before all this started. I know without it, at very worst, I'm just highly emotional, getting caught up in songs/movies/all sorts of stuff that make me want to cry etc.

That being said, on the medication, whilst it did deal with my anxiety issues/help reduce my panic attacks/help me concentrate more and all that side of things, I just kind of felt like I was completely devoid of emotion at all. Like I was merely "existing" and pretty much nothing else. I know my wife prefers me on the meds, which I'm not sure bodes well for me generally, and I honestly don't mind it, I just don't like the thought of never really being "me" every again....if that makes any sense at all.

Like I'd rather be anxious/emotional/unable to concentrate/have panic attacks etc, than be some emotionless droid....because that's the real "me".

EH, I don't know any more.

A good friend of mine went on a higher dose of meds during a particular bleak period, then once that had passed, he began to scale it back again. He didn't like that "numb" feeling either.

Depression is awful.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-01-2018, 11:54 AM

It's worth giving a try for a while, as different people have different reactions. I tried antidepressants briefly (about three months) and didn't feel enough of a positive difference, plus they made me really crave carbohydrates and sapped my energy. So I went off them, cold turkey (bad idea!, took me a month of feeling like absolute shit to detox), and didn't go back. But antidepressants have made my son feel better, and not robotic. He's always been on a pretty low dose, though, and since he's grown 10 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier without changing the dose, he may effectively have tapered himself off of them metabolically.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
05-01-2018, 06:57 PM
(05-01-2018 05:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  ...I know without it, at very worst, I'm just highly emotional, getting caught up in songs/movies/all sorts of stuff that make me want to cry etc.

Don't worry about the crying thing mate; I do, and often with specific triggers on TV—like animals getting maltreated or killed. Anyway, scientific research has shown that tears contain a chemical, found in "emotional" tears, known as leucine-enkephalin, that's an endorphin which reduces pain and works to improve mood. Humans are the only species that cry emotionally. As a comparison, onion-chopping tears are non-emotional, and contain a different, less complicated chemical brew.

Quote:That being said, on the medication, whilst it did deal with my anxiety issues/help reduce my panic attacks/help me concentrate more and all that side of things, I just kind of felt like I was completely devoid of emotion at all. Like I was merely "existing" and pretty much nothing else.

NB: I'm not a doctor, and don't intend for this to be read as any sort of valid clinical advice.
That lack of emotion can be a common side-effect of some antidepressants, and is known clinically as a "depersonalisation disorder". It's characterised by feeling detached from one’s life, thoughts and feelings. People with this type of disorder say they feel distant and emotionally unconnected to themselves, or a bit like they're watching a character in a boring movie. Having been down this path myself, I'd definitely see your treating therapist with a suggestion about changing your anxiety/antidepressant meds and/or their dosage—either up OR down.

—Hang in there mate. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
08-01-2018, 03:53 AM
Cheers for the all the kind words guys!

Update: Went in on Friday, doctor pretty much said "Ok...here's some pills again" lol. It was a smidge more in depth, although I could tell the guy was trying to hurry me along a bit, as 50+ people sat in the waiting room with the flu, which is fair enough haha.

The short answer was, I did everything fine in terms of coming off it when I felt better, although [and I think somebody mentioned here previously] he personally believes the time of the year factors in. Apparently you get better results if you start coming off this stuff in the spring/early summer, due to the day light and stuff like that, whilst in the winter it's darker/colder/all round more depressing apparently, so it's harder to come offf this stuff. So the short answer was: "right thing...wrong time". Starting on a super low dose for a week, then back up to what I was on before, then gotta check back in with them in 3 weeks to see how we're doing. Therapy wasn't offered this time around, but I might raise the subject next time I'm there.

Didn't start them until Sunday night, due to being out most of the weekend, and had a pretty shit time up until I went to sleep that night to be honest. Pretty sure my wife is at her wits end with me being the way I am, which is both frustrating and understandable at the same time.

We'll see where we go from here. My thought process is often that of, when you hit rock bottom...the only way is up [baby] Smile

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
08-01-2018, 07:47 AM
(08-01-2018 03:53 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Cheers for the all the kind words guys!

Update: Went in on Friday, doctor pretty much said "Ok...here's some pills again" lol. It was a smidge more in depth, although I could tell the guy was trying to hurry me along a bit, as 50+ people sat in the waiting room with the flu, which is fair enough haha.

The short answer was, I did everything fine in terms of coming off it when I felt better, although [and I think somebody mentioned here previously] he personally believes the time of the year factors in. Apparently you get better results if you start coming off this stuff in the spring/early summer, due to the day light and stuff like that, whilst in the winter it's darker/colder/all round more depressing apparently, so it's harder to come offf this stuff. So the short answer was: "right thing...wrong time". Starting on a super low dose for a week, then back up to what I was on before, then gotta check back in with them in 3 weeks to see how we're doing. Therapy wasn't offered this time around, but I might raise the subject next time I'm there.

Didn't start them until Sunday night, due to being out most of the weekend, and had a pretty shit time up until I went to sleep that night to be honest. Pretty sure my wife is at her wits end with me being the way I am, which is both frustrating and understandable at the same time.

We'll see where we go from here. My thought process is often that of, when you hit rock bottom...the only way is up [baby] Smile

Sounds like you'll be getting slapped in the face by fat strippers in no time again Drinking Beverage Laugh out load Seriously though, I'm so glad you went to see the doctor and got the meds taken care of. I agree, only up from here and it sounds like you are doing everything you can to get there. Thumbsup So hugs and keep on keepin' on.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-01-2018, 07:59 AM
(08-01-2018 07:47 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Sounds like you'll be getting slapped in the face by fat strippers in no time again Drinking Beverage Laugh out load Seriously though, I'm so glad you went to see the doctor and got the meds taken care of. I agree, only up from here and it sounds like you are doing everything you can to get there. Thumbsup So hugs and keep on keepin' on.

Laugh out load Thanks jenny, although I'd like to avoid the fat strippers if possible haha

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post