Feeling angry? praying helps!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Feeling angry? praying helps!
Saying a prayer may help many people feel less angry and behave less aggressively after someone has left them fuming, new research suggests. (ScienceDaily, 2011)

...right. Dodgy

Meditation, self-reflection, anger management techniques seem to be left out. Wouldn't they be just as useful? I can't imagine asking the great sky wizard for help to be comforting in any way. And some of these studies said they didn't measure the contents of the prayer. So, is there something as an atheist prayer then? Or would that be classified as something else?

This whole research looks very unscientific and seems to abuse the term 'prayer'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
source: R. H. Bremner, S. L. Koole, B. J. Bushman. "Pray for Those Who Mistreat You": Effects of Prayer on Anger and Aggression. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 2011

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 12:05 PM
RE: Feeling angry? praying helps!
Well depends , let's look at the actual study.
They don't link it but 53 people is a very poor cohort mass , they same number they use to justify homeopathy. It allows for many errors to slip through.
And I agree with you , the term "prayer" is strongly out of context.
Let's look for the actual studies and see what they say.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
06-05-2011, 12:41 AM
A better study was that done by some researchers funded primarily by the templeton foundation (a pro-christianity foundation that pays scientists to say good stuff about religion) which looked into Coronary artery bypass surgery and found that there was no difference between those who were uncertain about whether they were being prayed for but were or were not actually being prayed for; in other words, the prayer didn't do anything. They also found the group that was prayed for and was told that they were going to be prayed for fared worse off that the other two groups. ( Source )
Basically, prayer didn't do anything, but patient psychology did.

This was no measly 50 patient study either, they looked at 1800 patients over 3 hospitals.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like daemonowner's post
06-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Of course prayer is going to make a person less angry and aggressive. As long as they will believe it has that effect. If I believed staring at a painted wall and watching it dry will make me less angry then it will. Heck, if I can find 50 others who believe the same thing then I know how the study will turn out.

I do not believe prayer can cure cancer or any other illness. I do believe, as long as the person fully buys into prayer, that prayer can alter a person's mood.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Prayer didn't work for me, but meditation works great. Avoiding stupid people also helps. Actually staring at a bunch trees is relaxing.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
06-05-2011, 03:40 AM
@riseinside Prayer may make people less aggressive, but it apparently will make them more stressed, explaining the results in the trial I mentioned previously.
If we are going to consider staring at a wall as a method of anger management, then I would suggest playing a nice game of chess as another.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
07-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I never stare at trees to relax or manage anger. Sometimes I will be thinking something and then I realise that I am very relaxed and I happen to be staring at some trees. Meditation also relieves stress, but that doesn't use staring.

Prayer doesn't work when it is forced or expected to create a result. The people try act as if it has done what they expect it to do, but they are forcing themselves to behave differently. That causes more stress. I don't expect my meditation to do anything particular, I just accept what it does.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
@daemonowner Thank you so much for finding that link! I have been looking for it for a while, my prayers have been answered xD
08-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Unless I was praying for someone's death, I find that very unlikely.

'Course, I wouldn't pray for someone's death. No matter how much I might wish for it.

When I'm feeling angry, I find the best way to dissipate it is to laugh. For these reasons I have a full complement of Terry Pratchett books and all four seasons of A Bit of Fry and Laurie on my iPod.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user