Feeling disconnected from the past

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Feeling disconnected from the past
For some reason, I can't seem to feel comfortable with my own past.

When I look back at my childhood, teens or anything I'm no longer involved with or no longer do, I feel an overwhelming discomfort. As if its a bad memory.

Reading the thread about the "secular churches" I got that feeling... A lot of people will understandably have bad memories of religion, but mine aren't frightening or disturbing.

When I was a kid, I loved aircraft and wanted to be a pilot... Since then my interest waned, and moved on to other things. In August I went to an airshow... Again I got this uncomfortable feeling, as if I was reliving a bad memory.

Its a feeling as if, once I close the door on a chapter of my life, I can never open it again... There's nothing associated with these particular memories that were disturbing or upsetting (most of them are happy memories), but for some reason there's this weird feeling attached.

Any ideas?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Re: Feeling disconnected from the past
Do you feel regretful about choices you made or scenarios that lead you to who you are now?

That could cause people to have discomforting feelings of their past. Not liking how they were/are.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
RE: Feeling disconnected from the past
(07-01-2014 05:53 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Do you feel regretful about choices you made or scenarios that lead you to who you are now?

That could cause people to have discomforting feelings of their past. Not liking how they were/are.

I don't think so...

If I revisited my high school (not something I'd choose to do). I could expect to feel a sense of foreboding, and the urge to leave... Not panic, fight or flight, but a feeling that I shouldn't be there, and shouldn't have relived those memories.

I just can't explain it...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
I kept little relics, such as the teddy bear I was given, books, toys and other stuff.

Most of my childhood was vicious and painfull, so I really need these things when I feel depressed to feel good again.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2014, 10:31 PM
(07-01-2014 02:55 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Any ideas?

I can only guess.

I think you are saying that you have no emotional investment in your past. That you don't--for example--have a photo album that you look through or pictures on the wall or mantlepiece of younger versions of yourself. You are not nostalgic or sentimental, you aren't one to say things like "those were the days". You don't dread your personal history but at the same time you don't cherish it or pine for it. The past is history and it should be left where it belongs.

Am I getting your meaning?
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
07-01-2014, 10:46 PM
(07-01-2014 10:31 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:55 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Any ideas?

I can only guess.

I think you are saying that you have no emotional investment in your past. That you don't--for example--have a photo album that you look through or pictures on the wall or mantlepiece of younger versions of yourself. You are not nostalgic or sentimental, you aren't one to say things like "those were the days". You don't dread your personal history but at the same time you don't cherish it or pine for it. The past is history and it should be left where it belongs.

Am I getting your meaning?

Not exactly... There are a lot of things from the past that I miss. I often wish I could be a kid again.

The best way I can describe it is like moving house... Going down the street you used to live on a few years later, feeling slightly unwelcome and uneasy. A place that used to feel comfortable and familiar that now feels alien and hostile...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
(07-01-2014 10:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Not exactly... There are a lot of things from the past that I miss. I often wish I could be a kid again.

So there is some nostalgia?

Quote:The best way I can describe it is like moving house... Going down the street you used to live on a few years later, feeling slightly unwelcome and uneasy. A place that used to feel comfortable and familiar that now feels alien and hostile...

A sense of not belonging? Of being in the wrong place?
08-01-2014, 03:20 PM
(07-01-2014 11:10 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 10:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Not exactly... There are a lot of things from the past that I miss. I often wish I could be a kid again.

So there is some nostalgia?

Quote:The best way I can describe it is like moving house... Going down the street you used to live on a few years later, feeling slightly unwelcome and uneasy. A place that used to feel comfortable and familiar that now feels alien and hostile...

A sense of not belonging? Of being in the wrong place?

Yeah, being in the wrong place...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]