Feeling good. Feeling positive. Humanity. Happiness. Hope.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2014, 02:00 PM
RE: Feeling good. Feeling positive. Humanity. Happiness. Hope.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2015, 08:44 AM
[Image: 018839-01.jpg]

A photograph, taken at Dead Vlei, Namibia.

Tell me again how, as an atheist, I don't know what awe and wonder are...

"Here's a short summary about the making of the photo. It was made at dawn when the warm light of the morning sun was illuminating a huge red sand dune dotted with white grasses while the white floor of the clay pan was still in shade. It looks blue because it reflects the color of the sky above. Because of the contrast between the shady foreground and the sunlit background I used a two-stop graduated filter which reduced the contrast. The perfect moment came when the sun reached all the way down to the bottom of the sand dune just before it reached the desert floor. I used a long telephoto lens and stopped it all the way down to compress the perspective.

I think it's the intensity of the sunlight falling only on the dune in the distance, while the foreground is still in early morning shadow, so the trees are almost in silhouette. The dune, called Big Daddy, is almost 1,200 feet tall, and is an intense reddish-orange color, so it creates a mysterious backdrop."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
19-04-2015, 05:28 PM
(19-04-2015 08:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  Tell me again how, as an atheist, I don't know what awe and wonder are...

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Girly, that was one of the most stunning things I’ve seen in a while. Thanks! Heart (I love how he's “climbing” the wall on his way up.)

(Can’t say I much cared for the choice of music… but you know how particular I am about my music Rolleyes )

I’m currently inflicting my presence on a breathtakingly beautiful part of the world and am constantly being starkly reminded just how amazing our world is (not to mention the fact that we're in it, alive and capable of knowing at least a little bit of and about it). And then I turn around and see all the vapid selfie-snappers around me, and can't help but think “What a waste!”

Already heard a glacier rumble* (technically – falling seracs), next time – this. Talk about fleeting and everlasting at the same time…

"How admirable!
to see lightning and not think
life is fleeting."

[Image: catatumbo4.jpg]

*Which, you guessed it, reminds me of a song – my most favourite Icelandic lullaby.

“Sleep, my young love.
Outside the rain is weeping.
Mummy is watching over your treasure,
an old bone and a round case.
We should not stay awake through dim nights.

There is much that darkness knows,
my mind is heavy.
Often I saw black sand
burning the green meadow.
In the glacier cracks are rumbling deep as death.

Sleep for a long time, sleep quietly,
it is best to wake up late.
Sorrow will teach you soon,
while the day is quickly decaying,
that men love, lose, cry and mourn.”

(Not my most favourite version, but since when is life perfect Rolleyes )

And the "black sand" is another thing up there on the bucket list – Iceland.

[Image: iceland1.jpg]

[Image: Icebergs-from-the-J%C3%B6kuls%C3%A1rl%C3...celand.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7751.png]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
06-05-2015, 02:02 PM
It feels good to appreciate being alive..it's been a while since I've really enjoyed my home as much as where I live. My view of the world is looking pretty god these days.

[Image: 80cf14df74acf150c1b17f8de91c2575.jpg]

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-05-2015, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 02:27 PM by kim.)
(06-05-2015 02:02 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It feels good to appreciate being alive..it's been a while since I've really enjoyed my home as much as where I live. My view of the world is looking pretty god these days.
--

How unicorn of you. Wink

Looks cozy.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Just when I think I can leave my state and never look back ...
[Image: sun%20amp%20flowers_zpsa5zvzval.jpg]
I remember that I can not resist preposterously huge flowers. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
17-05-2015, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 05:22 PM by Vera.)
Then you should definitely come over my way, Kimmie, we're the seventh biggest producer of sunflowers in the world, believe it or not. Sunflowers till the eyes can see... Yes

[Image: We+are+the+cosmos+made+conscious+and+lif...itself.jpg]

"But that doesn’t make us insignificant, because we are the cosmos made conscious. Life is the means by which the universe understands itself. And for me, our true significance lies in our ability and our desire to understand and explore this beautiful universe." Heart

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
18-05-2015, 02:08 PM
(17-05-2015 10:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  Then you should definitely come over my way, Kimmie, we're the seventh biggest producer of sunflowers in the world, believe it or not. Sunflowers till the eyes can see... Yes

[Image: We+are+the+cosmos+made+conscious+and+lif...itself.jpg]

"But that doesn’t make us insignificant, because we are the cosmos made conscious. Life is the means by which the universe understands itself. And for me, our true significance lies in our ability and our desire to understand and explore this beautiful universe." Heart

Don't let Chas read this.

18-05-2015, 02:16 PM
(19-04-2015 08:41 PM)Vera Wrote:  (Can’t say I much cared for the choice of music… but you know how particular I am about my music Rolleyes )

I liked the music. But you know my taste in music is unrefined and pedestrian.

(19-04-2015 08:41 PM)Vera Wrote:  Girly, that was one of the most stunning things I’ve seen in a while. Thanks! Heart (I love how he's “climbing” the wall on his way up.)

I liked the pose at the bottom of the abyss. "Really? Is that all you got? Gonna have to do better than that."