Feeling guilty about skipping church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2016, 09:58 PM
RE: Feeling guilty about skipping church
(10-01-2016 12:09 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Hello everyone. I'm a new atheist. But why do I feel guilty for skipping church?

I'd answer you, but this is a protected forum and insults are disallowed.

Therefore I verily say unto you, BOW before Thor's mighty hammer before he clouts you with it.

AMEN.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2016, 10:48 PM

Alanis Morissette - Forgiven

The guilt feelings will fade. It makes my skin crawl every time I have to sit through a sermon now. Makes me a hell of a lot less eager to go sit through a worship service.

There's no deity holding you accountable for your lack of worshipping it. Stop judging yourself and just be. Right now, this is your afterlife. Cherish each moment, and don't bombard yourself with other people's "shoulds." Especially ones that are irrational and make you miserable. Stop judging yourself based on your pre-deconversion standards. You have a new world perspective to explore. What really matters to you in this life? If you knew that you were dying, what would you be doing? And guess what, you're dying. We all are. Just some are gonna get there a little sooner than others. Stop guilt tripping yourself over something pointless. And that's what church is - pointless. Unless of course you assign it a purpose. Life's too short to be worrying yourself over this.

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate this into my own life with my own atheist closet with my family. I have the complicated family dynamics involving my son, Christian ex husband, and uber southern baptist parents.

If your parents aren't going to kick you out of the house for your disbelief, then come on out with it. If I didn't have child custody issues, I would have already resolved myself to be out of the closet and deal with the family drama for my own peace of mind.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Churches depend on feelings of guilt to keep their flock. They will do anything and everything to be sure you feel guilty for missing a service or tithing less than they expect. It's like wearing a leash, strapped to some invisible master.

Don't feel bad for feeling guilty. You have been programmed for that. Now you have to make the decision about who or what will be the defining force in your life. Once you make that decision, there is no reason to feel guilty.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
12-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Convenient brand new video.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Feeling guilty about skipping church
(11-01-2016 10:50 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Churches depend on feelings of guilt to keep their flock. They will do anything and everything to be sure you feel guilty for missing a service or tithing less than they expect. It's like wearing a leash, strapped to some invisible master.

Don't feel bad for feeling guilty. You have been programmed for that. Now you have to make the decision about who or what will be the defining force in your life. Once you make that decision, there is no reason to feel guilty.

Can you elaborate on defining force? Would that force be myself? Or did I answer my own question?

I will have to watch that video!
25-01-2016, 01:08 PM
If you've ever watched Seth speeches, you'd notice that he talks quite a lot about how deep the roots of religion go. This is probably the problem here. I, personally, never had guilt about not going to church, but I do feel guilty when I don't pray for someone who is sick or whatever. I think we can both agree that being an atheist is not all smiles and rainbows.

But don't freak out, please. Be happy! Smile

(Hope this made you feel better).