Feeling so alone today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Feeling so alone today...
I hope this is the right place to be posting this, but I feel so alone today. I have 1 person (just ONE) that knows what I do (and don't) believe, and that is my sister. But she lives a 2 hour drive away. Pretty much everyone else, a few friends, family members are conservative Christians.

I already feel like I am the definition of a "failure" to my whole family. I'm a single mom, I am in full support of my sister who came out lesbian a few years ago, interned for the Human Rights Campaign when I was in school, and don't go to church anymore(as far as they know) I haven't exactly "come out" as an atheist to any of them yet...

So today, I shared a post celebrating marriage equality on Facebook. Usually I avoid being open about anything that would be contrary to any of their beliefs. (I really just need to quit Facebook I think) and I feel I made a huge mistake. I was told that I "need to read my bible more closely" and also that they "thought for the past year that I had gone to the 'other side'" whatever that means.

I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I don't understand why they have to be so vocal about how they disagree with my beliefs when I never say anything to their ignorant (and sometimes offensive) comments.

I guess I'm just looking to vent a little, connect with someone who knows how I feel, and get some advice on how to deal with these feelings that I am alone in this?
Help?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like EditingBeauty's post
26-06-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: Feeling so alone today...
Welcome. I think you will find much support here.

As far as reading the Bible, ask them if they have. Ask them if cherry-picking the parts they agree with and those they don’t is allowed by the LORD. I can guarantee that your family, just like every other Xtian out there fails to follow the Bible word for word for if they did they’d be in prison doing time or off to the electric chair.

Rant all you like there are sympathetic ears here.

FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
26-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Having never been religious and not living in a place where I am pressured to be, it is hard for me to relate. However, I think I can speak for many here in saying you are not alone. We are with you. You can talk freely here. If you read the thread dedicated to marriage equality you can see it is a constitutional issue. Not a gay issue. Perhaps learn more about that side of it and post that on FB. Then anyone who disagrees is being un-American.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
26-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Thank you Full Circle. You have no idea how much it means to me that you even replied.

As for your comment about asking if they've read the bible, I kind of did just that. Here are some of the exchanges:

Him: I think you need to read into the Bible a little more closely. Not accepting homosexual marriage isnt discriminating against anyone (in one sense of that word). Not accepting it is saving them and future generations from their sin...

Me: The Bible also says slavery is ok. Are you saying slavery wasn't racial discrimination?

Him: Salvery isnt sinnful, but the abuse of slaves are and the disregard of their God given human dignity is gravely sinful. The Bible never supports the abuse and degradation of the human dignity of a slave. Also God never puts punishment upon those who own slaves (except obviously the Egyptians, when the Irsaelites were not treated as humans, and God interceded). In fact we are called to be slaves of Jesus Christ...St. Paul calls Himself one. Also the government should never influence or disregard the interpretation of God's Divine Law...be it the Churches' teaching on slavery or marriage.

Other Person (referring to me): We've noticed for the last year that you might be going to the other side.

I know I shouldn't let this bother me so much but it hurts. It really hurts. Especially the comments from family about gay marriage... well, and being gay in general. I feel like they're all fake in saying they love my sister and then make comments that are in direct opposition to love.
26-06-2015, 06:08 PM
We are pretty good around here at not letting people feel like they are alone.

I had some responses today on Facebook that makes me think it's time for some trimming there. I figure it's my page and I will or will not accept certain things on that page.

Vent away...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Tongue RE: Feeling so alone today...
So you don't believe in all the christian stuff. Not a worry, round 30,000 sects etc, according to 'Born Bad' by James Joyce all hold conflicting views.
It must be hard when all the rellies are fundies (one lot of the 30,000 groups) but try and keep your chin up.
If others don't like your views it's important to love yourself more.
Hopefully you will find new and more compatible relationships in keeping with your changed beliefs.Smile
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
26-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Make sure you nurture your relationship with your sister. You both will need each other to cope with this demeaning treatment.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Thank you Woof... the best advice I've gotten has been to love myself, it doesn't matter what other people think of me. But it's so hard to put that into practice.
26-06-2015, 06:11 PM
(26-06-2015 06:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Make sure you nurture your relationship with your sister. You both will need each other to cope with this demeaning treatment.

Oh, I don't know what I would do without her, honestly. She is my best friend.
[+] 2 users Like EditingBeauty's post
26-06-2015, 06:15 PM
My family is Irish Catholic. Most of my friends are conservative Christians. I am starting to branch out and make new friendships with like-minded people (i.e. other atheists). I am lucky that I live in CA so that has been relatively easy. Of course, we still have some fairly religious sections here too.

I try and stay off Facebook--but I do still get a few emails here and there from "well-meaning" religious folk. Religious brainwashing runs deep. It is very hard for some christians (especially conservative ones) to understand how atheists can just walk away from God and it scares them. If they are your friends or family, they worry for your very soul. Most of the religious people I know see atheism in a negative light. I have been to parties with other christians as an atheist. One christian was shocked to hear that as an atheist, I do a lot of volunteer work for the homeless--particularly for homeless who live on the streets with their pets. They just could not comprehend the idea of an atheist wanting to help others. I know it is hard but you need to be strong in your views and do your best not to let people bully you. Remember, people lash out at what scares them. What they are doing is out of ignorance. Find some local groups with other atheists so you don't feel so alone. It is really helpful to have that support. Heart
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post