Feeling so alone today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Feeling so alone today...
(26-06-2015 06:06 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  Thank you Full Circle. You have no idea how much it means to me that you even replied.

We protect our own around here.

As for his comments concerning slavery “Him: Salvery isnt sinnful, but the abuse of slaves are”...Facepalm

That’s all I need to know about this person (your dad?). Forgive me for being blunt but he’s blind, bigoted, misguided and full of shit. Other than that I’m sure he’s a lovely man. Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-06-2015, 06:24 PM
(26-06-2015 06:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 06:06 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  Thank you Full Circle. You have no idea how much it means to me that you even replied.

We protect our own around here.

As for his comments concerning slavery “Him: Salvery isnt sinnful, but the abuse of slaves are”...Facepalm

That’s all I need to know about this person (your dad?). Forgive me for being blunt but he’s blind, bigoted, misguided and full of shit. Other than that I’m sure he’s a lovely man. Wink

Not my dad, thankfully. A cousin. I deleted him as a Facebook friend today. I'm sure there will be others deleted too. I definitely facepalmed at that response too. Many of my family members I honestly feel sad for because I know they still believe that they are "broken" somehow and that they cannot be fixed without their god. Makes a person feel powerless and worthless, and I struggled with that a lot before I "came to the other side" as my other family member put it.
[+] 2 users Like EditingBeauty's post
26-06-2015, 06:25 PM
(26-06-2015 05:50 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  I guess I'm just looking to vent a little, connect with someone who knows how I feel, and get some advice on how to deal with these feelings that I am alone in this?
Help?

#sigh
26-06-2015, 06:34 PM
(26-06-2015 06:24 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 06:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We protect our own around here.

Not my dad, thankfully. A cousin. I deleted him as a Facebook friend today. I'm sure there will be others deleted too. I definitely facepalmed at that response too. Many of my family members I honestly feel sad for because I know they still believe that they are "broken" somehow and that they cannot be fixed without their god. Makes a person feel powerless and worthless, and I struggled with that a lot before I "came to the other side" as my other family member put it.

Cousin needs to be marginalized whenever and wherever possible. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
26-06-2015, 06:40 PM
(26-06-2015 05:50 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  I already feel like I am the definition of a "failure" to my whole family. I'm a single mom, I am in full support of my sister who came out lesbian a few years ago, interned for the Human Rights Campaign when I was in school...

Taking care of and supporting those you love? Standing up for the rights of others? You sound pretty successful at life to me!

I am like you in that I have only one other person who knows that I am not a believer. Sadly, while she accepts it, she disagrees with me. I know the feeling you have of just bursting inside wanting to let your true feelings free yet fearing the backlash. I can't advise you as I have yet to go down that road myself. I can only commend you for taking steps to do what you feel is right by your sister in spite of what others think.

Thumbsup

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 4 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
26-06-2015, 07:28 PM
I sent you a pm, find me on Facebook and the group I mentioned. Atheist moms have connections to help keep the sanity. Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
26-06-2015, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2015 08:29 PM by cactus.)
I know how you feel, and I experience it every day. (well, except for the being a parent part). I'm in the Bible Belt, and all of my close friends (all like four or five of them) live at least an hour away. I'm extremely cautious about what information I share on Facebook. Even posting so much as a science article, I always limit my audience to only the people who either already know or are apathetic to my atheism (which sadly includes no one in my family.)

It can be difficult, but I think it's important to keep some form of contact with family members (even if it means having to censor yourself on 'triggering" topics when you're around them), especially if they're expressing concern for you on a regular basis. Find some common ground with them, something that you both value, like the charity work (I wish I could say I were more involved in that sort of thing), and open up to them over time about issues that are important to you. Most importantly, show them that you're enjoying life.

I'm constantly thinking about what I'm going to say when one of my parents eventually corners me into talking about why I don't go to church. I'm hoping it will go something like "Belief is not a choice. I can't choose to be convinced of something. I'd rather be honest with myself than to live a lie for the sake of helping you feel better about your beliefs. I respect you too much to lie to you like that." And really, I do try to be as honest with them as I can, even if that sometimes means having to slyly change the subject. When my parents start talking about God, I respond by agreeing with them on any moral ideals that we both share, and talking about those instead. That's worked out pretty well for me so far.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
26-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Echoing what others have already said, you're stronger than you realize. Rest assured that as you continue to make reasoned and logical choices, you'll also be building the necessary confidence to ward off the attacks of the ignorant opposition, whenever/wherever they make their presence known.

If you feel a situation warrants boldness, don't second guess yourself. When principles rest on a well evidenced foundation, you have the right to disseminate truth to those willing enough to have their consciousness raised.

We're here as a forum family, to lift you up when you're feeling down. We help one another find the answers when we lack understanding. Welcome aboard, we're glad you're here
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
26-06-2015, 08:38 PM
[Image: bearhugs.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-06-2015, 10:59 PM
(26-06-2015 06:24 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  Makes a person feel powerless and worthless, and I struggled with that a lot before I "came to the other side" as my other family member put it.

Odd thing about they way they phrase it ... I don't know about you, but when i was on my deconversion journey, I didn't feel like I came to any side at all, I felt like I came through all the sides and was finally out in the open, where I could breathe freely.

What it says about Christians, that even the most subtle and sublime experiences are viewed in Manichaean black-and-white.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post