Feeling so alone today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2015 09:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Feeling so alone today...
Slavery isn't sinful ? Really ? Owning another person and forcing them to work for nothing for years (stealing their just wages) and controlling their every moment isn't sinful ? What the hell religion are they again ??? Facepalm
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-06-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm in the closet with my family. I lie to them. It sucks. Feels like a double life. When I joined this time last year my brother and my (soon to be ex) husband were the only persons who knew. Since then I've told a small handful of friends, one cousin, my nephew, and my coworkers. It was hard for me to keep quiet about it - my entire world view changed. In some ways I felt like the world shattered, it cracked wide open and no one else felt the shift.

It is lonely, especially at first. Then you start to find people in similar situations (such as the members here), and hopefully you won't feel so alone anymore.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
26-06-2015, 11:42 PM
(26-06-2015 08:16 PM)cactus Wrote:  When my parents start talking about God, I respond by agreeing with them on any moral ideals that we both share, and talking about those instead. That's worked out pretty well for me so far.

I did that with my grandmother. She died thinking I was a believer. I didn't actively lie to her, but I couldn't bring myself to break what I knew would be awful news to her. Its the only time I've dissembled about my lack of faith. I'm not proud of it, but I think I would do it the same way again.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-06-2015, 07:08 AM
(26-06-2015 11:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 08:16 PM)cactus Wrote:  When my parents start talking about God, I respond by agreeing with them on any moral ideals that we both share, and talking about those instead. That's worked out pretty well for me so far.

I did that with my grandmother. She died thinking I was a believer. I didn't actively lie to her, but I couldn't bring myself to break what I knew would be awful news to her. Its the only time I've dissembled about my lack of faith. I'm not proud of it, but I think I would do it the same way again.

You should be proud of not knowingly hurting your grandmother.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Editing Beauty:

Haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to say that i'm sorry you have been feeling alone. I often feel the same, since my wife and all of my kids remain staunchly, frustratingly Catholic, as do all of my extended family. The only people I have to really talk with or vent to are on line. I hope you find some peace and support here. :-)

"'God works all things for good' Romans 8:28."
"'Bull Dinky.' Perry Cox. 6:1. Buck eighty-five after lunch."
27-06-2015, 09:56 AM
(27-06-2015 07:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  You should be proud of not knowingly hurting your grandmother.

Thanks, but I sometimes think I sold her short.

I hope EB avails herself of the community here so that she doesn't have to eat her frustrations and hurts. That's a bad place to be.
27-06-2015, 05:28 PM
(26-06-2015 10:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Odd thing about they way they phrase it ... I don't know about you, but when i was on my deconversion journey, I didn't feel like I came to any side at all, I felt like I came through all the sides and was finally out in the open, where I could breathe freely.

That is absolutely how I felt too. I have lived my whole life in fear of not being good enough, feeling worthless, being a "sinner" and when I finally accepted that I'm not broken, it was totally liberating.

I always struggled with the church putting judgement toward certain people or groups of people. I felt like I had to agree, but deep in my heart I felt compassion for these people that were being judged by them. My family may think I'm evil, but really I left the religion because it was against my own morals, which made me unhappy. (Apart from the conclusion I came to that it is all a made-up story.)
[+] 2 users Like EditingBeauty's post
27-06-2015, 05:33 PM
So a new turn of events... my sister and I decided to finally speak out to my mom about her hurtful posts on Facebook. We feel she is nice to us to our faces, but when she is online she posts many things that are just plain hurtful. So today she posted this:

Quote:I was in the car running errands when I heard the news on Moody Radio concerning the Supreme Court’s decision legalizing same sex marriages in all 50 states. A great sense of sorrow filled my heart as I told our Father how very sorry and grieved I was.

From all I know about God, about His Word, His character, His sovereign power and His throne which is founded on righteousness and justice, I believe ‘America’ just crossed the line.

I am praying God will strengthen believers who want to know not only how they are to live in the light of this impending darkness, but how they can prepare their loved ones, family, friends, sisters and brothers in Christ , and those whom God the Father has given to the Son.

~ Kay Arthur

My sister replied, saying:

Quote: I would feel better if every time you posted something about your daughter, that you be kind enough to tag me in your posts. Otherwise it's a bit like bashing me behind my back.

And I replied with:

Quote:And I just want to say this hurts me deeply mom. Believing this stuff is one thing, that's your right, but at least please have the courtesy to respect your daughter and not post things that will hurt her. Everything you post on here is there for anyone to see.

Mom's response a 30 minutes later:

Quote:I am sorry I still have this faith today, as I have for many years when I first believed. You were brought up in my house and I haven't changed. We are all sinners, especially me! I just do not like feeling hated and feeling like I have diappointed you for not changing with the tide. I still believe in God's Word as it is written. I know many have strayed but I grow stronger in my love for Him as I see all Franklin said much of what I thought and was respecting you to have you opinion just as I have mine. I love both of you and I accept your individual rights to decide to live your life as you choose.

I recognize that we don't need to take anything she says in person or on the internet personally, or as an attack against us. But it really does hurt. And by the way, the smooth tactic she used to turn the hate and hurtfulness on herself is something she does all the time.

I just don't know how to get through to someone like this. I want her to recognize that it is hurting us, and to want to change her actions to prevent that. I could never imagine doing this to my own son... if something I said hurt him, I would apologize and change my actions.
27-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Your mother's tactic of turning the fault back on herself is typical of Christianity. They say they are sinners while sticking the knife in. Makes them feel better about themselves. Fucking hypocrites, every last one of them.

I highly recommend you read up on the Bible. An easy way to learn of how evil the bible is is to visit sites such as Evilbible.com.

It takes virtually no effort but will arm you with fuel to fight the fires of stupidity and ignorance coming your way.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-06-2015, 10:17 AM
(27-06-2015 05:33 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  I just don't know how to get through to someone like this. I want her to recognize that it is hurting us, and to want to change her actions to prevent that. I could never imagine doing this to my own son... if something I said hurt him, I would apologize and change my actions.

Unfortunately, religion gives people permission to hurt loved ones, even one's own children as we well know that some religions practice shunning or disfellowship. I think you guys are doing well on calling her out.