Feeling so alone today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
RE: Feeling so alone today...
(26-06-2015 05:50 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  I hope this is the right place to be posting this, but I feel so alone today. I have 1 person (just ONE) that knows what I do (and don't) believe, and that is my sister. But she lives a 2 hour drive away. Pretty much everyone else, a few friends, family members are conservative Christians.

I already feel like I am the definition of a "failure" to my whole family. I'm a single mom, I am in full support of my sister who came out lesbian a few years ago, interned for the Human Rights Campaign when I was in school, and don't go to church anymore(as far as they know) I haven't exactly "come out" as an atheist to any of them yet...

So today, I shared a post celebrating marriage equality on Facebook. Usually I avoid being open about anything that would be contrary to any of their beliefs. (I really just need to quit Facebook I think) and I feel I made a huge mistake. I was told that I "need to read my bible more closely" and also that they "thought for the past year that I had gone to the 'other side'" whatever that means.

I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I don't understand why they have to be so vocal about how they disagree with my beliefs when I never say anything to their ignorant (and sometimes offensive) comments.

I guess I'm just looking to vent a little, connect with someone who knows how I feel, and get some advice on how to deal with these feelings that I am alone in this?
Help?

just tell them you love your sister very much and believe she should have the same chances for happiness as everyone else.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 09:17 PM
RE: Feeling so alone today...
(26-06-2015 05:50 PM)EditingBeauty Wrote:  I hope this is the right place to be posting this, but I feel so alone today. I have 1 person (just ONE) that knows what I do (and don't) believe, and that is my sister. But she lives a 2 hour drive away. Pretty much everyone else, a few friends, family members are conservative Christians.

I already feel like I am the definition of a "failure" to my whole family. I'm a single mom, I am in full support of my sister who came out lesbian a few years ago, interned for the Human Rights Campaign when I was in school, and don't go to church anymore(as far as they know) I haven't exactly "come out" as an atheist to any of them yet...

So today, I shared a post celebrating marriage equality on Facebook. Usually I avoid being open about anything that would be contrary to any of their beliefs. (I really just need to quit Facebook I think) and I feel I made a huge mistake. I was told that I "need to read my bible more closely" and also that they "thought for the past year that I had gone to the 'other side'" whatever that means.

I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I don't understand why they have to be so vocal about how they disagree with my beliefs when I never say anything to their ignorant (and sometimes offensive) comments.

I guess I'm just looking to vent a little, connect with someone who knows how I feel, and get some advice on how to deal with these feelings that I am alone in this?
Help?

I know exactly how you feel. I just recently came out as an atheist. I am married with two kids. I just recently told me wife I no longer had a good reason to believe in god. She did alot of crying that night and now she goes to church by herself with the kids. Like you, I joined this forum to meet other rational thinkers, because I was devout christian for so long most of my friends are conservative christian. So you are not alone in this. Right now only my wife and two of my closes friends know about my apostasy. Luckily I do not live far from Austin I heard there are some good atheist meetup groups there I plan on checking those out. I will tell you this forum has a good support community. If you feel the need to vent feel free to message me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply