Feelings of suffocation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2014, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 11:54 AM by LisaSM.)
Feelings of suffocation?
I learned to live with it. But did you ever have feelings of suffocation? if so, did they go away or do you live with it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2014, 01:51 PM
RE: Feelings of suffocation?
(13-12-2014 11:51 AM)LisaSM Wrote:  I learned to live with it. But did you ever have feelings of suffocation? if so, did they go away or do you live with it?

Do you mean literal, or figurative, as in you feel that you are suffocating - actually running out of oxygen, or you feel that you are suffocating because you are trapped in a situation (like maybe, you cannot express yourself as an atheist because everyone around you is Christian)?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Hmmm?

Are you talking about anxiety? That can make a person feel suffocated in a figurative sense.

Or are you talking about actually something hampering your breathing?

Or are you talking about being in a family or group of some sort that keeps pushing their agenda on you and you don't have the opportunity to be you?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-12-2014, 01:53 PM
I haven't had those feelings.

On an aside, is this thread in the right forum?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2014, 02:32 PM
(13-12-2014 01:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I haven't had those feelings.

On an aside, is this thread in the right forum?

Mod can move it to Personal Issues & Support section? Pretty please and thank you Smile I owe you sex.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-12-2014, 03:08 PM
(13-12-2014 02:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  Mod can move it to Personal Issues & Support section? Pretty please and thank you Smile I owe you sex.
I demand my payment, dog. Evil_monster

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
13-12-2014, 03:12 PM
I pretty much get that feeling with civilization as a whole. I deal with it by volunteering for every deployment or contract job in the most desolate place I can possibly find when the opportunity arises, and hitting the range and blowing shit up when I'm back in the real world.

'Murican Canadian
13-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Re: Feelings of suffocation?
I still haven't learned to deal with it. I always tell others I wonder if the hermit life is for me.
14-12-2014, 06:55 AM
It is not anything related to breathing or any sensations. I feel like expressing something. But then I dont know what it is that I'd like to share. I just feel like running away into emptiness. And my day to day life is more than ok. But I just cant feel at ease. Like I am neurotic. And then because I can't figure out these feelings, I get tense and feel so suffocated when I think of things. And I am thinking Am I even making sense anymore. I know I am being a little senseless here. But do you people just feel so empty and hopeless and be suffocated by them? I dont let it affect my life. But is this normal? I try to live in the present as much as I can because it seems like the only answer. And I enjoy things I do. But sometimes the feelings of suffocation get more and I start to get this urge to be dissolved. I know I am not suicidal. But I kinda hope that I am ok. My friend says its ok she feels them too. Do you? If so, how do you live with it?
14-12-2014, 02:28 PM
(14-12-2014 06:55 AM)LisaSM Wrote:  It is not anything related to breathing or any sensations. I feel like expressing something. But then I dont know what it is that I'd like to share. I just feel like running away into emptiness. And my day to day life is more than ok. But I just cant feel at ease. Like I am neurotic. And then because I can't figure out these feelings, I get tense and feel so suffocated when I think of things. And I am thinking Am I even making sense anymore. I know I am being a little senseless here. But do you people just feel so empty and hopeless and be suffocated by them? I dont let it affect my life. But is this normal? I try to live in the present as much as I can because it seems like the only answer. And I enjoy things I do. But sometimes the feelings of suffocation get more and I start to get this urge to be dissolved. I know I am not suicidal. But I kinda hope that I am ok. My friend says its ok she feels them too. Do you? If so, how do you live with it?

I used to get depro. Weeks at a time. Not so much now... I figured some stuff out. Main reason I used to feel trapped was 'cos I felt powerless to change my life. I still largely am powerless to change my life - a lot of it is determined by circumstances and all kindsa emo shit and so forth, but... I took control of some things... I began exercising, I learned to assert myself, to have my own opinions on stuff... Just these few things made enough of a difference to me, that the emptiness went away, mostly.

I don't forget the emptiness though - in a way, it is my friend... Having felt that feeling... I won't forget it. I know if I go through such a rough patch again, that I can endure and it will go away eventually...