Feigned Piety - another Facebook note

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 07:38 AM by kingschosen.)
Feigned Piety - another Facebook note
As before, I like to address Christians in FB notes. Please critique like always.

I’ve noticed something very alarming about Christians that I think needs to be addressed. I like to call it “Feigned Piety”.

So, what is feigned piety, and how is it used?

1) It must be public. In order for the “Christian” to have their ego and self-righteousness satiated, they must first make a public address or post about the issue. The post is usually unsolicited or unwarranted – meaning, no one actually asked for the information that is given or cares about it. It is done solely for the person’s own “piety”.
2) It is either a blatant condemnation against a person or a passive aggressive judgment against a person or group of people.
3) The “Christian” makes it evident that they do not agree with the person(s) or group of people that they are condemning and that they made the choice to not participate or break away from said group.
4) Finally, and this is the most important part of feigned piety, the “Christian” will always, ALWAYS say that they “heard” from God or that God “showed” them something. They claim that the ultimate authority deemed them right and the others wrong; therefore, making their claim without contestation to other Christians.

Feigned Piety is a disgusting display of self-righteousness that is reminiscent of the Pharisees. Of all the people that Jesus came in contact with, He had the harshest, most critical stance towards the Pharisees.

Rightfully so.

Facebook seems to be a festering harbor for the feigned pious. People have an open forum and an open voice just like the Pharisees and will openly condemn others and flaunt their self righteousness.

An example would be:
God showed me something today. He told me that I should pray for all the Christians that eat butter. God revealed to me how sinful this is and delivered it from me. Because of this, I removed myself from certain friendships which contained butter eaters. It wasn’t easy, and I had to really pray about it, but God provided me with several people who refrain from eating butter. It has been a long, hard struggle, and I’ve often been blinded by those that eat butter. Praise the Lord!

This is, of course, a silly example, but the premise is the same.

If you are a Christian, and you really, REALLY heard from God, then that is a private thing between you and God. You don’t need to be announcing it to everyone to boost your own pride and stroke your perceived self righteousness.

Moreover, if you have an issue with anyone, then it should be handled privately. If you would like share your resolution to a problem with someone who could benefit from your advice, then it should be done privately.

The only thing you are doing is presenting your self-righteousness to people in a nauseating manner as you hop up on your self-created pedestal and say “Look at me! I’m better than you and more of a Christian!”

Also, since you have the audacity to say you heard directly from God, how is a Christian supposed to question that? Exactly how do we know you have any authority? Moreover, why is God giving you any authority instead of convicting us? You are not the Holy Spirit. Stop acting like it.

Contain your self-righteousness and condemnations. Let God be the judge.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
RE: Feigned Piety - another Facebook note
I think in 1) it should be unsolicited, not solicited.

Also, interesting message, and I agree. Will anyone listen? Do people usually listen? I haven't followed the last few times you've done this.

So, also- the first thing that came to mind when reading this is: Aren't you doing what you're condemning in posting this on Facebook?

I know there are a few differences, but I would be surprised if someone else didn't say it in response on FB.

What will you say in response to that argument?
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
09-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Change the color fool. Red ain't good except for localized emphasis. And too much of it gives me a headache and makes my blood start to boil. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I think you're on sound theological grounds. Despite Jesus' warning to keep your prayers confined to the closet, I've seen Feigned Piety many times on Facebook. I'm not sure it's done for status so much as it is to arouse comments from fellow Christians in a sort of "Shared Piety". But you could be right, KC.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
09-05-2012, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 05:19 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
I believe Christian's like that are hypocrites and stupid. Than again they think they are somehow more important than others. So lets just be happy that we are treated as second class citizens by people who are supposed to be humble and are more blinded by pride.

I don't respect the beliefs of others who believe they are more special because of their deity. We are equal and yet with religion we are not.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 2 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Might actually not regret having added you to facebook now.

Where`d I put that sexy popcorn?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-05-2012, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 07:43 AM by kingschosen.)
(09-05-2012 04:16 PM)kineo Wrote:  I think in 1) it should be unsolicited, not solicited.

Oops, you are right. Thanks.

Quote:Also, interesting message, and I agree. Will anyone listen? Do people usually listen? I haven't followed the last few times you've done this.

At first people responded... now, not so much. I think I scared them : /

Quote:So, also- the first thing that came to mind when reading this is: Aren't you doing what you're condemning in posting this on Facebook?

I know there are a few differences, but I would be surprised if someone else didn't say it in response on FB.

What will you say in response to that argument?

1) I'm not claiming divine inspiration.
2) Addressing behavior that is condemned in scripture.
3) Sometimes hypocrisy is necessary for exposure.
(09-05-2012 04:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Change the color fool. Red ain't good except for localized emphasis. And too much of it gives me a headache and makes my blood start to boil. Wink
Done Smile

(09-05-2012 04:45 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I think you're on sound theological grounds. Despite Jesus' warning to keep your prayers confined to the closet, I've seen Feigned Piety many times on Facebook. I'm not sure it's done for status so much as it is to arouse comments from fellow Christians in a sort of "Shared Piety". But you could be right, KC.
As a former fake Christian, I can tell you my feigned piety was done for personal gain.

(09-05-2012 05:06 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I believe Christian's like that are hypocrites and stupid. Than again they think they are somehow more important than others. So lets just be happy that we are treated as second class citizens by people who are supposed to be humble and are more blinded by pride.

I don't respect the beliefs of others who believe they are more special because of their deity. We are equal and yet with religion we are not.
This is what I wish others would understand.

(09-05-2012 07:07 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Might actually not regret having added you to facebook now.

Where`d I put that sexy popcorn?
Heh, might have to wait awhile... because of the the "incident" that sparked this, my wife suggested I wait a few days before posting it.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-05-2012, 07:48 AM
(10-05-2012 07:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) I'm not claiming divine inspiration.

1) Says KingsChosen... Dodgy
2) See? Tongue
3) Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Sanctimonious FB Christians. Angry

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-05-2012, 07:52 AM
(10-05-2012 07:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 07:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) I'm not claiming divine inspiration.

1) Says KingsChosen... Dodgy
2) See? Tongue
3) Big Grin
Well played, Doc... well played.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post