Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2016, 09:38 AM
RE: Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?
(23-09-2016 09:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 09:16 AM)Cumulus Wrote:  Teach me sensei. Drinking Beverage

Oh, it all depends on the situation. If I am stuck in a conversation with someone, I'll call another person over and ask their opinion, and when they start talking, I'll quick excuse myself and head towards the bathroom and escape...

If in a hotel and there are people in the lobby who will strike up conversations, I'll take a back exit instead avoiding the whole thing...

Program my cell to ring at a certain time and excuse myself, walking away talking into the phone (to no one lol)

Let people know ahead of time that I will have to leave early...

It all depends. The more people are there, the easier it is to get away.
Bowing Worship Slaves

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
23-09-2016, 10:28 AM
(23-09-2016 08:23 AM)Dom Wrote:  I like being alone. One or two people for a limited time is good. Up to six is tolerable.

I hate parties, but I don't mind public speaking and will happily address a room filled with hundreds of people.

I am a master at sneaking away to my room....

That's pretty much how I am although I'd say 3 or 4 people is tolerable (as long as I know them fairly well); 5 or 6 is really pushing it. People who know me fully expect that I will disappear if there is a large group or it has been a while even with a small group.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
23-09-2016, 10:31 AM
As long as there's no requirement for me to talk with people I can actually tolerate a lot of people in a room.

23-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?
The safety mass occupancy number?

I'm quite the introvert and limited in my interactions but numbers of people around don't bother me, they're irrelevant in mass grouping to me as a haze.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Ummm...2.
Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-09-2016, 10:50 AM
For me, it somewhat depends on who the people are. If I barely know the people, 2 is the limit. If I know the people pretty well, up to 4 or 5 is ok.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
23-09-2016, 11:24 AM
You might call me an Intro/Extro from one type of situation to another - the size of the crowd is very situational and depends on what kind of occasion I'm looking to have. On occasion I really like a big crowd. I'm the singer/guitarist in a trio and I really crave the adrenaline rush of getting up on a stage in front of as many people as I can get. I also really like going to "real" concerts for established bands in big arenas. I saw Pearl Jam play two nights at Fenway Park in August and it was incredible to connect with so many people. I'm all for big, sweaty, over-blown, mega crowds... unless I'm totally not.

Given a choice of activity for your standard weekend entertaining my go-to is to have another couple with kids come over for dinner with my wife and I and our kids. That's about the ideal size for me - 4 grown-ups having pleasant conversation with a playroom full of kids building legos and light saber-fighting nearby. The days of wanting to host huge parties are well behind me. We tend to have birthday parties for our kids where all their friends from school/daycare come, as well as grandparents and other family members, and I don't generally enjoy them. 30 people in my house is a nightmare, I never get to relax long enough to really enjoy and specific person's company. There's just too much activity - too many people's needs to be conscious of, and it's friggin' exhausting.

I can handle a big event from time to time, but I need a much more subdued time to refresh the following day.
23-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Performing doesn't count. Lots of introverts are performers or public speakers, actually. It's about what happens after the performance...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
23-09-2016, 12:11 PM
(23-09-2016 11:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  Performing doesn't count. Lots of introverts are performers or public speakers, actually. It's about what happens after the performance...

Yup - and for me the post-gig ritual is me and the rhythm section and a beer and a clove cigarette to debrief and bask in the afterglow, lol. Or bust each other's balls about any fuck-ups that might have happened. Either way I need to decompress and I certainly don't want to go to a BBQ or some other shindig the next day.
23-09-2016, 12:12 PM
(23-09-2016 11:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  Performing doesn't count. Lots of introverts are performers or public speakers, actually. It's about what happens after the performance...

Yeah, because in such instances there is a mostly clear expectation from everyone involved about what is going to happen. Get up on stage, do your bit/act/speech, and leave when you're done. It's the being thrown into the chaos and directionless maelstrom of a party, when it's hard to tell what is to be expected of you, that things really start to strain the nerves. I too am not bothered that much by public speaking, and I was probably the best person at it in my class in college. Same goes for reading out loud in a class.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]