Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2016, 12:20 PM
RE: Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?
I worked out a formula to try and figure it out, it's still a work in progress (it's also a slow work day).

(number of people I am comfortable being in a room with )=((percentage of alcohol) times (number of drinks) )divided by (the number of hours I have to be there) times (percentage of the group is (family or friends squared)) plus 3

Or...

X=(((P x N)/H) x (F(squared)%))+3

So I plugged in some numbers to see what I get (rounded to the nearest whole person, cause being in the room with less then a whole person is a whole other issue Sadcryface )

12% alcohol per drink
1 drink
2 hours
60% are friends or family
= 5 people

40% alcohol per drink
5 drinks
3 hours
30% are friends or family
=9 people

Probably have to factor in a special occasion modifier, and a "do I have to do anything" modifier. Consider

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
23-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Maths? You somehow just made me more uncomfortable!

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-09-2016, 12:33 PM
(23-09-2016 12:20 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I worked out a formula to try and figure it out, it's still a work in progress (it's also a slow work day).

(number of people I am comfortable being in a room with )=((percentage of alcohol) times (number of drinks) )divided by (the number of hours I have to be there) times (percentage of the group is (family or friends squared)) plus 3

Or...

X=(((P x N)/H) x (F(squared)%))+3

So I plugged in some numbers to see what I get (rounded to the nearest whole person, cause being in the room with less then a whole person is a whole other issue Sadcryface )

12% alcohol per drink
1 drink
2 hours
60% are friends or family
= 5 people

40% alcohol per drink
5 drinks
3 hours
30% are friends or family
=9 people

Probably have to factor in a special occasion modifier, and a "do I have to do anything" modifier. Consider

That's really hot, unsapien.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
23-09-2016, 12:34 PM
@unsapien:

I guess the number of people in a room that someone is comfortable with is dynamic for others. For me, it never changes. Still, I'm impressed with your math equation. Do you do this for fun?
23-09-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm a loner. The ideal number of people in the room is just one -- me. If there are other people present, the number is not as important as whether or not I know them, and whether or not I have to interact with them. I am not comfortable interacting socially with people I don't know, so the worst possible case is being in the room with one other person that I don't know. If there are several other people, I can let them interact with each other while I stay out of it.

I will say, though, that I don't like large crowds, and I tend to avoid them. I don't go to bars or parties, I very rarely go to concerts or festivals, and on Black Friday, I avoid retail stores like the plague. Grocery shopping is a traumatic experience for me, and I would get groceries delivered except that I'm extremely picky about selecting my own produce (fruit and vegetables).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-09-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm not one to generally care whether or not I'm meeting other people's expectations in a large setting - most parties break down into smaller subgroups eventually anyway. I just find it EXHAUSTING as the host to put out the effort of continually checking-in on everybody. I feel so beholden to everyone else's good time that I don't manage to have my own, lol.

But if I'm going to go out for the purpose of socializing I feel like the best conversations happen in the 3-6 people range.

Ironically, while I do really crave alone time I often feel distracted when I do get it, as if whatever I've chosen to do with myself might not be the BEST use of that time, rare as it is.
23-09-2016, 01:15 PM
2 or 3 people is enough, I don't like larger gatherings.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-09-2016, 01:22 PM
For me, and following unsapien's lead:

"The number of other people tolerated in the room is inversely proportional to time in the room"

Where X is people and T is time. The one BIG variable Y, is how interesting and how interested the other person/s is/are.

T=Y/X or X=Y/T

1 boring person will have me running out of a room as fast as 5 semi interesting people or 10 very interesting people.

Normally I prefer to be alone, I like my own company.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-09-2016, 01:28 PM
It all depends on the distance to the next person, and what we're actually doing. I have no problem sitting in a massed band at a music festival (generally 100+ people), but when I have to go to the mall on busy days I take a lot of evasive manoeuvres to avoid being stuck in a crowd.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2016, 01:31 PM
(23-09-2016 12:34 PM)Cumulus Wrote:  @unsapien:

I guess the number of people in a room that someone is comfortable with is dynamic for others. For me, it never changes. Still, I'm impressed with your math equation. Do you do this for fun?

Yeah, I like spending time in my head, trying to figure things out a lot like the what if? XKCD website but just for my own enjoyment.

For example...I was reading something about a month or so ago talking about when humanity might meet the first extraterrestrial, they were talking about non-human life, but then I realized that "extraterrestrial" technically only means something not from Earth or in its atmosphere. So I figured that the first extraterrestrial would technically be a human born off of the Earth. So I figured that we just needed to have a baby born on the International Space Station. But it turns out that the ISS is actually still in Earth's atmosphere (400km up) but the Earth's atmosphere extends to about 600-800km (and experiences atmospheric drag) so that was not far enough... and that calling it a Space Station is not true so I spent an hour coming up with a new acronym for the ISS like HALOL (High Altitude Low Orbit Laboratory) etc...

But by then I was already wondering what a micro gravity birth would be like...and trying to figure out a formula for the thrust a women could give to the infant at birth (like a little baby cannon) but I had to sort of guess at the numbers cause I was afraid what type of stuff a google search would bring up on my work computer Tongue

My brain is a strange place to be sometimes Hobo but I like it. Big Grin

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post