Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2016, 02:22 PM
RE: Fellow Introverts; How Many People In A Room Is Too Many?
If it is a crowd of people that I don't know, it depends on the size of the room and whether or not I have to interact with these people. If it is acceptable for me to sit somewhere and just look at things without participating actively, I can stay all evening. I make my bubble and observe. If I have to participate, I will be gone as soon as possible because participating is what drains my energy and I just want to leave and have my quiet again.

And there are also things that you just have to endure I guess, like work things. I remember that at some point my team at work was planning to go for a drink after work on Friday. So I said sure I will come, because I understood that the social bonding might be important. But I actually panicked once we got in front of the pub because I saw how many people were inside. So I stayed for like 5 minutes and then found an excuse to go home.
By now my coworkers all know me well enough and no one puts pressure on me to come with them for stuff. And if things are going on in the office, they let me sit on the side and observe and not bother me much. I appreciate that a lot actually because that way I can be there without having a friggen panick attack.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Jesus fucking Christ seriously??????

You want quantification and aren't willing to give a denominator.

How big of a room??????

Are you talking Grand Central Station or a broom closet??????

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-09-2016, 06:31 PM
(23-09-2016 04:00 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Jesus fucking Christ seriously??????

You want quantification and aren't willing to give a denominator.

How big of a room??????

Are you talking Grand Central Station or a broom closet??????

Tongue

Doesn't matter all that much for introverts. It matters more whether one has to interact with those people or not.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-09-2016, 06:50 PM
(23-09-2016 07:50 AM)Cumulus Wrote:  The question asked is in the title of this thread. Personally, for me 4-5 people is about my limit. Anymore people than that and I start to get uneasy. There's just too many variables, and too many people to keep track of. Two people in a room, excluding myself, is what I feel is the best number of people for social situations like Work, a Party, or just hanging out. One other person is not enough. Two people is just right. Three is so-so. Four to Five people is pushing it. Six is too much.

What about you guys? How many people in a social environment is too many people for you personally?

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-09-2016, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2016 08:12 AM by DLJ.)
For the mathematicians, above, another variable is ... which room?

Are we talking about the bedroom? Or for that matter, one of those bars on Makati Avenue in Manila?

... which puts a different slant on Dom's comment regarding 'performance'.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
24-09-2016, 06:22 AM
I think TTA is getting to me.... I had a dream last night and at one point I had to go into a fairly small room where a group of people were eating and watching a video and my first thought was "Wow, this room is packed; I'd better count how many are here to see how comfortable I will be".

There were 28. I left.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
24-09-2016, 06:47 AM
No set limit.

Then again, I'm not actually an introvert. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Actually there are a ton of variables to consider... like is the size of the room appropriate for the number of people in it, which I would describe as a "personal space factor". If I am in a room of relative strangers then I figure I'd want about 3 foot radius of space between me and another person, if they are a friend or family member then less space is acceptable.

There is also the "peer" factor. If you are say 15yrs old then you would probably be more comfortable with people within an age range of say +/- 2yrs of your age. If your 25yrs old then your probably comfortable at +/- 5yrs, at my age of 43yrs I'd say I'm more likely to be comfortable with people +/-10yrs of my age.

Then there is also an "interest" factor. I have nothing in common with my wife's friends and try to avoid them if I can. But my sister's husband has similar interests as me and it is a safe bet that I would be compatible with his circle of friends (which I know is true, cause I've met some of them).

But one question I'd like to ask is are you actually an introvert? I don't think that I am. I don't try to avoid other people (I'm not shy really) so much as I don't really care whether there are people around or not. What makes me uncomfortable is whether the "social norm" for the social situation I happen to find myself in requires me to "fake a fuck".

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
24-09-2016, 08:04 AM
I'm not any kind of vert. Why are you trying to stuff me into a vert box?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
24-09-2016, 08:38 AM
(24-09-2016 08:04 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'm not any kind of vert. Why are you trying to stuff me into a vert box?

You sure you're not trying to divert from the topic because you are a covert pervert?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post