Felons and voting rights

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Felons and voting rights
In Canada, felons have the right to vote for any candidate in the area they lived before they were incarcerated in all election types, that's no matter the crime they have commited or if they even are going to see freedom again. Do you think felons should have the right to vote?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
19-10-2017, 11:27 PM
RE: Felons and voting rights
Yes, assuming they are not crazy which is why they committed the felony in the first place.
20-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Yes. Because as it turns out, harshly criminalizing petty drug possession and then selectively enforcing it is a great way to disenfranchise large chunks of 'undesirable' minority populations, leaving even those who get through the system with little legal remedy to make meaningful changes after the fact. Plus doing your time and being 'rehabilitated' to get released back into wild as a productive member of society, but still not being able to vote, is one of the largest and most hypocritical slaps in the face I can imagine.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-10-2017, 12:09 AM
(19-10-2017 11:27 PM)JAH Wrote:  Yes, assuming they are not crazy which is why they committed the felony in the first place.

But because of the lack of mental health care and a judiciary unwilling to understand that mental illness is a thing, our prisons are actually full of those people.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-10-2017, 12:12 AM
I'm fine with them losing the right for a period of time. If you bow out of society based on your own decisions, you should have to earn your way back to a say-so in the matters, with your own good behavior.
20-10-2017, 12:13 AM
(20-10-2017 12:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yes. Because as it turns out, harshly criminalizing petty drug possession and then selectively enforcing it is a great way to disenfranchise large chunks of 'undesirable' minority populations, leaving even those who get through the system with little legal remedy to make meaningful changes after the fact. Plus doing your time and being 'rehabilitated' to get released back into wild as a productive member of society, but still not being able to vote, is one of the largest and most hypocritical slaps in the face I can imagine.

Especially when after time has passed in a few states these same people can purochse a gun.

It’s a head scratcher to me...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-10-2017, 12:40 AM
(20-10-2017 12:09 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 11:27 PM)JAH Wrote:  Yes, assuming they are not crazy which is why they committed the felony in the first place.

But because of the lack of mental health care and a judiciary unwilling to understand that mental illness is a thing, our prisons are actually full of those people.

Give them the ability to vote and that might change.
20-10-2017, 12:51 AM
(20-10-2017 12:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(20-10-2017 12:09 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But because of the lack of mental health care and a judiciary unwilling to understand that mental illness is a thing, our prisons are actually full of those people.

Give them the ability to vote and that might change.

I don't think most criminals are mentally unhinged. No doubt quite a few are, but it's hard for me to think that that's a reason they should be voting. We're doing poorly enough with the way things are right now, don'tcha think?
20-10-2017, 12:57 AM
In Australia, if you're serving a full-time prison sentence of less than three years you can vote in Federal elections. If your sentence is three years or longer, you can remain on the electoral roll but you're not entitled to vote until you're released from prison.

In the state of Victoria where I live, if you're serving a sentence of more than five years you're precluded from voting in State elections until after you're released, at which time you must re-register to vote.

Both these conditions seem reasonable to me.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
20-10-2017, 12:58 AM
EvolutionKills, I think your point is why much of the prohibition against felons voting is promoted. Not because they have voided that right because of their actions, but because they might not vote the "correct" way.

There are so many ways people are being disenfranchised in this country it can only be described as disgusting.

Listening to KPFA this morning a reporter who has followed 45 for years and yes is very left leaning spent some time on the subject of disenfranchisement. His suggestion was that we must do what the right in this country has done which is start small, at the local level, and build from there.

One must even engage the right pointing out that the loss of democracy is a loss for all.