Female Black Atheist: Just "came out"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Female Black Atheist: Just "came out"
Pretty self-explanatory.

This morning after my professor of Islam went on and on about how women get raped from a pregnancy shouldn't get abortions (and came up with some bogus statistic that "Only about 1 out of 100 women get pregnant from rape because the trauma of the event makes it almost impossible for the woman to get pregnant) after I walked around for a moment and cleared my mind, for the very first time, I went on Facebook and after about 20 minutes, finally posted the following message:

So mad right now that I could chew bricks. . .my professor (once again) spent 20 minutes trying to convince the class that pregnancy via rape is actually "God's Will" by (once again) using the most bullsh*t evidence he could come up with. I couldn't even look at him, I was shaking so bad. I'm officially turning in my "Religion" badge as of today. As long as religions continue to pick and choose what human atrocities can be considered "God's Will", I don't want to be a part of it. Don't EVER look me in the eye and tell me that millions of people around the world are dying of thirst, starvation, disease, war, and natural disasters because it's the will of God. Don't DARE try to convince me that horrendous acts like murder, rape and female oppression get a "Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free" pass just because you claim 'It's an act of God'. I'm sick of it. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to put them on someone or something else. Don't believe everything you're told and take the risk of thinking for yourself. To my friends and family, you can get mad at me, lecture me, refuse to speak to me. . . .do whatever you want, but as far as pretending to believe on centuries old, man-made superstitions and dogmas, you can stick a fork in me 'cause I'm DONE.

And now I'm just waiting for the backlash LOL It took me about 20 minutes of typing, deleting, and re-tying sentences before I finally sent it. I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't go on pretending like I didn't find the teachings of that class offensive. I'm tired of pretending to be a Christian or a "non-practicing Christian".

I have a lot of religious family, including my motehr, who reads my Facebook status daily, and a few Muslim friends, who I'm actually crazy about.

But I just came to the conclusion that I'm done living a lie. I'm done pretending to be okay with something that I'm really not okay with at all, just because I fear being outcasted or disowned by friends and family. And to be honest, since I first came out to myself as an atheist a few years ago, I've never been more happy and more free. My brain has been opened to so many things I never realized before and it has helped me grow so much. I acutally think I'm a better person for it. So you know what? If some of my friends and family decide that they want to do an "intervention" and lecture me on "the error of my ways", maybe I'll humor them and maybe I won't LOL.

If some of my friends "unfriend" me and decide to not associate themselves with me anymore, it's
disappointing, but I'll move on.
Because I'd rather live on my feet with my head held high, than live on my knees with my head down.

Right now I've got my head up and my boxing gloves on (figuratively speaking), so no matter what is said or done from this point on: I'm ready, baby! Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 28 users Like PeiPei22's post
05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
RE: Female Black Atheist: Just "came out"
Kickass.
For what its worth, some random person somewhere in the world you'll probably never meet thinks you're doing the right thing.
[+] 5 users Like Halophilic's post
05-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Yay Smile You're great! You're really... wow... Big respect.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Good for you! No one should live a lie, esp. such a stupid lie as religion, and have to sit patiently, pretending to agree with the dumbest and sometimes downright vicious things people try to feed them.
I hope your family can accept it and any friends who can't probably, weren't worth having to begin with.
And really, why is it the smart and brave people who have to hide what is such an important part of who they are, for fear of giving offence to an oppressive and often stupid flock of sheep, and not the other way around?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
05-11-2012, 11:08 AM
ThumbsupClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-11-2012, 11:16 AM
(05-11-2012 10:53 AM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  Pretty self-explanatory.

This morning after my professor of Islam went on and on about how women get raped from a pregnancy shouldn't get abortions (and came up with some bogus statistic that "Only about 1 out of 100 women get pregnant from rape because the trauma of the event makes it almost impossible for the woman to get pregnant) after I walked around for a moment and cleared my mind, for the very first time, I went on Facebook and after about 20 minutes, finally posted the following message:

So mad right now that I could chew bricks. . .my professor (once again) spent 20 minutes trying to convince the class that pregnancy via rape is actually "God's Will" by (once again) using the most bullsh*t evidence he could come up with. I couldn't even look at him, I was shaking so bad. I'm officially turning in my "Religion" badge as of today. As long as religions continue to pick and choose what human atrocities can be considered "God's Will", I don't want to be a part of it. Don't EVER look me in the eye and tell me that millions of people around the world are dying of thirst, starvation, disease, war, and natural disasters because it's the will of God. Don't DARE try to convince me that horrendous acts like murder, rape and female oppression get a "Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free" pass just because you claim 'It's an act of God'. I'm sick of it. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to put them on someone or something else. Don't believe everything you're told and take the risk of thinking for yourself. To my friends and family, you can get mad at me, lecture me, refuse to speak to me. . . .do whatever you want, but as far as pretending to believe on centuries old, man-made superstitions and dogmas, you can stick a fork in me 'cause I'm DONE.

And now I'm just waiting for the backlash LOL It took me about 20 minutes of typing, deleting, and re-tying sentences before I finally sent it. I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't go on pretending like I didn't find the teachings of that class offensive. I'm tired of pretending to be a Christian or a "non-practicing Christian".

I have a lot of religious family, including my motehr, who reads my Facebook status daily, and a few Muslim friends, who I'm actually crazy about.

But I just came to the conclusion that I'm done living a lie. I'm done pretending to be okay with something that I'm really not okay with at all, just because I fear being outcasted or disowned by friends and family. And to be honest, since I first came out to myself as an atheist a few years ago, I've never been more happy and more free. My brain has been opened to so many things I never realized before and it has helped me grow so much. I acutally think I'm a better person for it. So you know what? If some of my friends and family decide that they want to do an "intervention" and lecture me on "the error of my ways", maybe I'll humor them and maybe I won't LOL.

If some of my friends "unfriend" me and decide to not associate themselves with me anymore, it's
disappointing, but I'll move on.
Because I'd rather live on my feet with my head held high, than live on my knees with my head down.

Right now I've got my head up and my boxing gloves on (figuratively speaking), so no matter what is said or done from this point on: I'm ready, baby! Cool
Two BIG thumbs up!

Welcome to the "Realm of Reason."

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
PeiPei22,

Welcome! I love that paragraph that you posted on Facebook. It was well said and, in a short space, said so much. Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Black
Female
Atheist

Tongue - strike three you're out. Now, if you'd have added Lesbian to that list you might have a full-on crucifixion to deal with. Wink

Just reading what you're professor said had me shaking! But you actually handled it quite well. You were very articulate and concise in your post - it perfectly stated your reasoning and position . You've placed yourself in the open and you obviously feel prepared for the what's next. It won't be easy ...but... the first three words in your thread title already know this. You are indeed, out.

The greatest protection you have is your honesty - never ever let that become compromised. You know who you are... that's something many are unable and even unwilling to stand up for and defend. It is the only thing one can really know completely. Don't get caught up in anyone else's drama - let them fight amongst themselves. You - the new you - have got better things to do. You are moving forward - they are staying where they are to squabble.

Personally, I lack words to express how wonderful I feel for you! It might get scary here and there but - WOW! It will also be exhilarating! You've begun a new part of your life... your real life.

From now on, whatever you encounter...
Bowing You --> Cool and your next step are admirable. Bowing

BTW - Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I hope you don't lose any friends on facebook but if it's any consolation I'd be quite honored to be your friend.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I think you're gonna find many new friends in here Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Good luck.

What is a "professor of Islam"? Sounds like dubious academic title to me, unless it's history or something.
[+] 1 user Likes code's post