Female Black Atheist=Triple Social Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2012, 05:58 PM
RE: Female Black Atheist=Triple Social Suicide
Welcome! Don't be shy, jump right in. There's all kinds here, and they will all grow on you.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Welcome, don't think you will have a problem here with any of the things you list.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-10-2012, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2012 06:12 PM by PeiPei22.)
(16-10-2012 05:17 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  What a amazing intro! I've never met a black atheist honestly. Sad But now I have. : )

Thank you!

And black atheists are around. . . TRUST ME, PEOPLE!

I've been in contact with a few black atheists who unfortunately live in the Southern part of the U.S. (aka "The Bible Belt"). I've even talked to a few who weren't only atheists, but gay as well. Compared to them, I have it easy since I live in one of the bigger cities in the Midwest.

I've checked up on a few online blogs set up by black atheists as well. Thumbsup

Being black is already being part of a minority but being black AND atheist. . .you're basically a miniority within a minority. . .No I think a lot of us are just still afraid to come out and admit it because as I mentioned, chruch is a big part of black culture, and to not only turn your back on it but PROUDLY turn your back on it is just. . .well, literally social suicide LOL

And it's such a contradiction, because if anyone should be blasting the Christian bible for all it's wickedness, it's Black Americans and anyone else who is the descendant of African slaves. That very same book is what was used to justify slavery in the first place. Many of the Africans who were first brought to the States were forced to convert to Christianity anyway. . . and then for African-Americans to be lifting up and praising the bible some 200+ years later. . .??!!

I'm sorry, I will NOT be ordered to do such a thing, I want no part of it, period. It amazes me how my people NEVER want to talk about that. . .they'll complain about "the white man" keeping us down and talk about how we were so oppressed for so long. . . .they don't even realize that they're just carrying on their very own oppression by agreeing with that damn book!!Angry

Nope, I won't be a part of it. And I tell ya somethin else, any person of color who tries to come to me and feed me any more biblical lies, can kiss my sweet, brown ass!Yes
[+] 4 users Like PeiPei22's post
16-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Just to go on record, we have a couple black atheists right here on the forum. Honestly (remember, I am up here in the frozen north people) I didn't realize black atheists were any more rare than any other race. Is it because of a southern US culture, or some part of African American culture that is common throughout the states? I guess I just haven't seen that here in Canada much......although over all, we don't have religion issues quite as bad as it seems south of the border. We got our fundies and all, but we try to spread em a little thinner up here.

Just visiting.

-SR
16-10-2012, 06:20 PM
(16-10-2012 06:08 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  And it's such a contradiction, because if anyone should be blasting the Christian bible for all it's wickedness, it's Black Americans and anyone else who is the descendant of African slaves. That very same book is what was used to justify slavery in the first place. Many of the Africans who were first brought to the States were forced to convert to Christianity anyway. . . and then for African-Americans to be lifting up and praising the bible some 200+ years later. . .??!!

I'm sorry, I will NOT be ordered to do such a thing, I want no part of it, period. It amazes me how my people NEVER want to talk about that. . .they'll complain about "the white man" keeping us down and talk about how we were so oppressed for so long. . . .they don't even realize that they're just carrying on their very own oppression by agreeing with that damn book!!Angry

Nope, I won't be a part of it. And I tell ya somethin else, any person of color who tries to come to me and feed me any more biblical lies, can kiss my sweet, brown ass!Yes

Gotta admit that's always something I've wondered about. I'm in England so I'm limited knowledge of American culture but it did strike me as odd that, from what I've seen, the black community in America seem to be so heavily religious. If someone kidnapped me and forced me into the slavery the last thing I'd want to do is thank their God for anything.

You should start a thread on it, I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion.

Welcome to the forums as well by the way. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
16-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Female Black Atheist=Triple Social Suicide
(16-10-2012 06:20 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(16-10-2012 06:08 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  And it's such a contradiction, because if anyone should be blasting the Christian bible for all it's wickedness, it's Black Americans and anyone else who is the descendant of African slaves. That very same book is what was used to justify slavery in the first place. Many of the Africans who were first brought to the States were forced to convert to Christianity anyway. . . and then for African-Americans to be lifting up and praising the bible some 200+ years later. . .??!!

Gotta admit that's always something I've wondered about. I'm in England so I'm limited knowledge of American culture but it did strike me as odd that, from what I've seen, the black community in America seem to be so heavily religious. If someone kidnapped me and forced me into the slavery the last thing I'd want to do is thank their God for anything.

You should start a thread on it, I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion.

It was YOUR people who started the whole tragedy!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-10-2012, 06:35 PM
(16-10-2012 06:20 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Gotta admit that's always something I've wondered about. I'm in England so I'm limited knowledge of American culture but it did strike me as odd that, from what I've seen, the black community in America seem to be so heavily religious. If someone kidnapped me and forced me into the slavery the last thing I'd want to do is thank their God for anything.

That's actually not a bad idea. . . .I think I just might do that!

And thanks for the welcome, I'm definitely "feeling the love" at this point haha
16-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I always wondered about the seemingly extreme attachment to churches by the black community when I lived in SC. Seemed that Sunday church was an all day event with the people wearing amazing clothes, hats, and shoes. Driving by when a service would let out, I would see the people gathered outside talking and generally hanging out. Sunday dinner then back to the church again.

There was only one service at such a church that I ever attended and that was for a funeral. Having been raised a Yankee Catholic, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before.

I would like to learn more about the church and it's importance in the black community. Educate us. Would love to hear your view from the inside.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-10-2012, 07:01 PM
(16-10-2012 06:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I would like to learn more about the church and it's importance in the black community. Educate us. Would love to hear your view from the inside.

Wow, seriously? Shocking

Ah, this may take me a while. . .lol Consider

I'd be happy to give everyone the 411, but it'll take me a while to collect my thoughts and memories (which I've been spending the last few years trying to repress).

I'd definitely know all about it. And just to put my 2 cents in before I start getting down to the facts, I may not agree with what black gospel choirs sing about. . . .but I have to admit, some of the best music I ever heard, and some of my past favorite songs, were sung by black Christian choirs.

If only they would take their beautiful, powerful voices and use them to sing and spread the truth and not fairytales riddled with wishful thinking. . . .
16-10-2012, 07:21 PM
1) gay

I win.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post