Female circumcision on the rise in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Female circumcision on the rise in the US
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg

If an 8 year old girl being told she wasn't being girl enough pissed you off, well, have a gander at this gem.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at least 150,000 to 200,000 girls in the U.S. are at risk of being forced to undergo cutting. The CDC says “at risk” because there are no actual records of the practice, only estimates – and old estimates at that. Its latest data date to 1997, the year after it was banned in the U.S.

But experts who work with victims and their communities say FGM is on the rise."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/horrif...u-s-n66226

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2014, 10:38 AM
RE: Female circumcision on the rise in the US
Fucking religion.

This is why I don't buy in to the whole tolerance and coexist bullshit any more. If you just want to sit around the campfire and sing songs to your lord and savior or pray 50 times a day or not eat pork, that's one thing, but when you do shit like this, or the law in Kansas that would allow people to beat kids to the point of bruising (and you know fucking bible thumpers are behind that one), then I don't have to respect or even tolerate your fairy tale based abuse. In fact, sane, rational people should actively fight against you to try to stop you from injuring a child in the name of your horrible sky king. Angry
[+] 3 users Like meremortal's post
30-03-2014, 11:16 AM
These things make me sick.

It's tragic. They don't realize that they are not only mutilating a girl's body but they are also actually messing with her psychological health.

The shit in their heads that leads them to such practices is beyond me. Sick, disgusting people.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
30-03-2014, 11:18 AM
I think genital mutilation of women or men is hideous.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
30-03-2014, 11:18 AM
(30-03-2014 10:24 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg

If an 8 year old girl being told she wasn't being girl enough pissed you off, well, have a gander at this gem.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at least 150,000 to 200,000 girls in the U.S. are at risk of being forced to undergo cutting. The CDC says “at risk” because there are no actual records of the practice, only estimates – and old estimates at that. Its latest data date to 1997, the year after it was banned in the U.S.

But experts who work with victims and their communities say FGM is on the rise."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/horrif...u-s-n66226

How seriously are law enforcement and prosecutors taking this?

And what about millions of boys getting cut? Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
30-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Apparently, for some, the negative psychological effects religion can have on people with the whole sin and guilt thing isn't enough. They have to add physical pain and mutilation to their tools to prevent sex from happening except as a duty or for reproduction. Yet, millions follow along. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-03-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm quickly losing faith in the human race...

Every day the world seems to get just a bit more mental.

800 years ago people had an excuse... no science, logic or open inquiry. There's no excuse for this kind of thing any more.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
30-03-2014, 12:52 PM
What exactly are they cutting off, when they do female circumcision?

I'm pretty sure woman don't have enough extra bits and pieces to be cutting off down there.

30-03-2014, 12:58 PM
(30-03-2014 12:52 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  What exactly are they cutting off, when they do female circumcision?

I'm pretty sure woman don't have enough extra bits and pieces to be cutting off down there.

The clitoris... and its hood.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
30-03-2014, 01:01 PM
The clitoris and labia, IIRC.

I take the stance that you are allowed to believe whatever bs you want. But if you want to practice then some measure of caution and oversight come in to make sure you're not hurting anyone.