Female circumcision on the rise in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 02:22 PM
RE: Female circumcision on the rise in the US
There are more than a few smug Christians that use this as an example of how horrible Islam is and how much more civilized Christianity is. It's a "see, we don't circumcise girls" attitude. There are quite a few Christian communities in Africa and the middle east that do circumcise girls though.

Ugh. I did a google image of girls being circumcised and it's just beyond horrible.

I also read that in the UK they're having problems with this and have tried to put a stop to it but it's so much a part of the culture among the Islamic immigrant population.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Couldn't making alterations like this void the warranty?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
30-03-2014, 02:26 PM
You'd think mutilating the body that "god" gave you would be bad. *shrug*
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
30-03-2014, 02:30 PM
(30-03-2014 02:26 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You'd think mutilating the body that "god" gave you would be bad. *shrug*

"Made in God's image"

"Except for those parts...those parts have to be removed"

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
30-03-2014, 03:09 PM
When my son was born, we chose to leave his dangly bit unaltered. Despite his questionable hygiene, he has never had any medical issues with his foreskin.

Say that reminds me:
How do you circumcise a whale?
foreskin divers Laughat

(Like 4 skin divers...

...it's funny when you say it aloud.)

(Really)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
30-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Fucking religion... Dodgy

[Image: lagamuffin_go-fuck-yourself.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Being circumcised sucks dick. Sad

I actually did a report on circumcision in my human sexuality class. One of my points was that male circumcision is more equal to female circumcision in more ways than it is different.

Why the hell does anyone decide to take a blade to such sensitive parts when its much easier to just wash besides laziness mixed with stupidity.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
31-03-2014, 12:47 AM
FGM is in fact more a prescription for the control of women's sexuality, which is also considered a woman's rite of passage, than it is a practice required by religion.

It was mentioned and practiced in ancient Egypt, at least by 6th century BCE Greece, ancient Rome, and also practiced in pre-European Australia By aboriginal tribes. Australia's aboriginal peoples, remember, were by and far in isolation for about 50,000 years.

It is largely believed to have begun in sub-Saharan Africa, predating the Muslim religion (most Islamic countries do not practice FGM). It is also found to have been an ancient practice in many countries around the world.

FGM was taken up in late Victorian England (thanks to Freud) and at the same in the U.S. as a curative for Hysteria, for which many women were institutionalized. You will have fun looking this up: Victorian- madhouse-women-hysteria.

FGM is not the product of religion.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
31-03-2014, 09:52 PM
(31-03-2014 12:47 AM)Dee Wrote:  FGM is not the product of religion.

"Though no religious scripts prescribe the practice, practitioners often believe the practice has religious support.

Religious leaders take varying positions with regard to FGM: some promote it, some consider it irrelevant to religion, and others contribute to its elimination."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-04-2014, 06:42 AM
(31-03-2014 12:47 AM)Dee Wrote:  FGM is in fact more a prescription for the control of women's sexuality, which is also considered a woman's rite of passage, than it is a practice required by religion.

It was mentioned and practiced in ancient Egypt, at least by 6th century BCE Greece, ancient Rome, and also practiced in pre-European Australia By aboriginal tribes. Australia's aboriginal peoples, remember, were by and far in isolation for about 50,000 years.

It is largely believed to have begun in sub-Saharan Africa, predating the Muslim religion (most Islamic countries do not practice FGM). It is also found to have been an ancient practice in many countries around the world.

FGM was taken up in late Victorian England (thanks to Freud) and at the same in the U.S. as a curative for Hysteria, for which many women were institutionalized. You will have fun looking this up: Victorian- madhouse-women-hysteria.

FGM is not the product of religion.

I agree with everything you said up until your last point. I'd say that it's not exclusively the product of religion. The line between culture and religion can be a very blurry one. Also, what things get included in a religion and why they get included vary widely. At some point, those things become associated with the religion to the point that anyone who doesn't understand them assumes they've always been a part of the religion. So, while religion might not be the cause, it certainly can help keep the idea going.

Just for example, here are some things that Christians associate with Christianity, despite them being added later:
  • The idea of the Trinity (From the Council of Nicaea)
  • Pretty angels (From countless pieces of art)
  • Any notion of Lucifer/Satan outside of being a "deceiver" (From John Milton's Paradise Lost)
  • Any description of hell outside of "unquenchable fires" and "wailing and gnashing of teeth" (From Dante's Inferno)
  • People become angels when they die (From cartoons, as far as I can tell)
  • Any "decisive" view on the rapture (From people making things up from the Bible, as it's far from clear on the issue)

And, on a similar note, most of what we actually see in terms of Christmas and Easter decorations come from Pagan origins. Many Christians happily adopt these customs knowing that they aren't part of the "true" meaning, while missing what their origins are.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post