Feminism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: Feminism
(11-09-2014 07:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 07:53 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yeah, I know it exists, I was being sarcastic.

But, unless I'm mistaken, one of the key principals of being a humanist is viewing all humans as equal, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexuality etc...

Seems like a good catch all term for being non-racist, non-sexist and non-homophobic to me.

A Secular Humanist as a political stance would be aligned with Gay rights Civil rights and Women's groups. The UHA (United Humanists of America) is aligned with the NOW among others.

Good enough for me...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2014, 08:12 PM
(11-09-2014 08:09 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 07:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  A Secular Humanist as a political stance would be aligned with Gay rights Civil rights and Women's groups. The UHA (United Humanists of America) is aligned with the NOW among others.

Good enough for me...

Put more succinctly "One can be both a Humanist and a Feminist"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2014, 08:35 PM
(11-09-2014 08:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 08:09 PM)Sam Wrote:  Good enough for me...

Put more succinctly "One can be both a Humanist and a Feminist"

Personally, I just don't like the label... Whether it is or isn't the case, to me the word seems to only highlight issues applying to women.

As far as I'm concerned, gender equality is a human issue, applying to both sexes.

Humanist pretty much sums up my position... Whether that's capitalized or not. I'm a human, I'm concerned with human issues and human suffering, and I support any efforts to relieve them.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
11-09-2014, 08:36 PM
The problem of humanist is it doesn't only, nor only get used in the way of meaning equality. It has the distinction of Humans having the right to make choices and no higher god being has the right to them.. I also don't like it because in the potential future, of other sentient beings, Robots, Aliens, other species evolving on Earth, they are excluded. It's just arbitrarily pushing the problem down the line instead of solving it overall.

Egalitarian, as far as I can find, means equality for all. I don't know who coined the term, when, or where, but I know it comes from what Equal means in French. As far as I know, it only represents the concept of equality for all people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2014, 08:46 PM
(11-09-2014 08:36 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The problem of humanist is it doesn't only, nor only get used in the way of meaning equality. It has the distinction of Humans having the right to make choices and no higher god being has the right to them.. I also don't like it because in the potential future, of other sentient beings, Robots, Aliens, other species evolving on Earth, they are excluded. It's just arbitrarily pushing the problem down the line instead of solving it overall.

Egalitarian, as far as I can find, means equality for all. I don't know who coined the term, when, or where, but I know it comes from what Equal means in French. As far as I know, it only represents the concept of equality for all people.

Well, the equality thing is just one aspect of it... For me, humanism/Humanism sums up my opinion on a whole range of things, pretty damn well.

I just don't feel the need for a second label...

Similar in a way to the word atheist... we don't have words like a-unicornist, or a-ghostist. I could quite happily live without the label atheist, and generally I find I'm more inclined to refer to myself as a humanist... of which atheism is one aspect.

Be it science, religion, human rights, the environment or whatever, the humanist position is the one I find I agree with on most issues...

So yeah, I'm a feminist in the sense that I support women's rights/equality etc... But I just don't feel the need for a second label.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
12-09-2014, 07:02 AM
I, too, prefer the label 'humanist'. In particular, secular humanist.

For any philosophy, politics, religion, or movement there is a spectrum of opinion, commitment, and focus from "that's interesting" to "kill the infidels".
There are a few vocal misandrists who (wrongly) claim to be feminists.

If you think feminism is exclusionary, outdated, no longer useful, then you are not paying attention to reality.

If you are painting feminism as a whole with the brush of misandry, you are not paying attention to reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-09-2014, 10:21 AM
(11-09-2014 07:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  Can't we just like invent a new word?

One that applies to both sexes... Like... oooh I dunno... Humanist?

To what end? You decide on a new word that appeals to all of your sensibilities... then what? How does this benefit the cause of equality?
12-09-2014, 11:32 AM
(12-09-2014 10:21 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 07:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  Can't we just like invent a new word?

One that applies to both sexes... Like... oooh I dunno... Humanist?

To what end? You decide on a new word that appeals to all of your sensibilities... then what? How does this benefit the cause of equality?

No reason... Just a personal preference.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]