Feminism in Gaming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Feminism in Gaming
I was thinking for a while, whether or not I wanted to bring this up here but fuck it, let's do this.

So here is what really annoys me: There are people out there who will complain no matter what. If they cannot complain or make things seem unfair, they would probably die from boredom. It may be their hobby or calling in life to just make the world a bit shittier every day.

I am not against feminism although I wouldn't call myself a feminist. What I am against is, to put feminism in a place where it is neither needed nor called for.

So a while ago this ... woman person - a feminist, decided to make a few videos on the way she didn't like women are portrayed in video games.
It was about the damsel in distress where she made a big point out of the fact that women may often only be plot devices / where women are the weak ones who need rescuing and she made a point that female characters usually don't have an actually important role in video games.

For context and if you are bored and have too much time:
This is Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q
This is Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toa_vH6xGqs

Then recently she brought out another video, where she complained that female video game characters are always the slender, sexy body type and that they are always pretty much the same character.
This is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqRtp5ZUGE

Now here is the problem. I have NEVER heard an actual female gamer complain about anything like that. Never. And believe, being the gaming nut that I am, I know a lot of fucking gamers (both male and female), both in real life and online. None of them, and I repeat again, not a single one of them has EVER complained or even mentioned any of that stuff to me.

So where is the fucking problem?

First of all, most of what this feminist says is simply bullshit. She is an outsider with a confirmation bias, she ignores everything that does not confirm what she already thinks is true (or maybe what she thinks will bring her money through youtube monetization).
Another thing, she is not even a gamer. You know it clearly just from hearing her talk and also she never has game footage of herself playing anything. She just talks about it as if she knew anything. She knows jack shit.

In her video (linked above) she shows some game characters who somewhat resemble what she says but she obviously didn't do her homework well or willingly ignores things.
She shows a range of female video game characters to make her point but in the ones she shows are dragons, and monsters and whatnot. None is like the other.

So you may know that I like to play League. So let me just list from there because I am most familiar with that one, right:
I want to highlight something on female characters in that game:
They range from acting innocent, to downright evil and from Ninja to protector.
They range from super hot to absolutely unappealing and from Child to monster.
Their personalities, lores, clothing styles, voices, abilities, and so on, everything is completely different.
There is Annie, a little child with a teddy bear, who kills you with fire.
There is Rek'Sai, an ugly, purple monster that sneaks around everywhere.
There is Caitlyn, a hot, long legged bitch, who keeps taunting everybody.
There is Evelyn, a spider woman, who who can spawn more spiders to help her.
There is Leona, a tank in full body armour, where you see no body at all really.

And here is the actual problem, although she doesn't directly say it, she does suggest it no doubt:
"Ermagherd, they are sexualizing women in video games"
Well guess fucking what, they do the same with male video game characters.
Half naked, bare chested, muscular, hairy in just the right places, clothing protraying just the right body zones, nice crotch, big hands... But for SOME fucking reason, if the same is done to a female character, then that is not ok.
What is the logic?

So what if I go and play a game > a fantasy. I go and play, and sorry but I personally would much rather like to play something that I would love to be myself.
Yo, fucktard, I am fat in real life, maybe I don't want to be fat in a game. Maybe I do want to be the sexy, taunting lady or the maybe I want to be the guy with too much muscle mass. Who cares. How about you let me have fun and stop bitching about things you have no fucking clue about.

I was talking about this to Mr Leela who shares my opinion and he was saying this:
She isn't even a gamer but she is trying to be a feminist for female gamers. Female gamers who don't even see this as a problem.
And to highlight that idiocy he started to bitch about the fact that I am using tampons which are a violation of my body because they are somewhat dick shaped and only his dick is good to go there. And also it is rape because the factory worker touched the tampon and therefore is indirectly touching my private parts. Therefore Tampons should be banned, because Tampons are rape.

So yea, there is a German comedian, Dieter Nuhr, who once said: "Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal Fresse halten" (If you don't have a clue, just shut up)

/ramble
/rant

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
08-09-2016, 02:51 PM
RE: Feminism in Gaming
Can confirm: am male and a life of gaming has turned me into an insecure wreck because all the males are either shirtless bodybuilder gods or suave sexy anime cool boys.
[+] 3 users Like Gilgamesh's post
08-09-2016, 04:39 PM
"Anita Sarkeesian is a fraud." - Thunderf00t

Not "Anita sometimes says fraudulent things" or "behaves in a fraudulent way," but "IS a fraud," as if that were some constant and intrinsic property of her existence.

That Thunderf00t quote runs through my head every time I see a picture of Anita. Then I always remember how annoyed I got when I tried to sit through an entire Thunderf00t video in which he repeated the exact same talking points over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

A bunch of other atheist Youtubers also jumped on the "this is a thing that I've been told I'm supposed to REALLY hate now" bandwagon and all started caring WAY too much about everything Anita, Brianna, etc. said, using derpy-looking and clickbaity pictures of radical feminists with their mouths agape in mid-sentence as their video thumbnails. It was at that moment that I realized... I don't really give a shit about most people's opinions on this subject. Anita has said some things that made me chuckle for a second, before I went on to care about something else. That's about all I really care to contribute to this discussion. Sleepy

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
08-09-2016, 05:01 PM
(08-09-2016 02:51 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Can confirm: am male and a life of gaming has turned me into an insecure wreck because all the males are either shirtless bodybuilder gods or suave sexy anime cool boys.

Exactly. This is my problem with feminism, it's one-sided when the issues are NOT one-sided or even favoured towards women.

Remember the big deal made about how Barbie was a false representation of real women?

[Image: vM-y4JNtK1oNqwze_U9Mdhlv4i5pecrYV-dVX5_1...aYNc=w1264]

[Image: Action-Figures_3418545b.jpg]

I've got a bunch of xbox games in front of me, a couple have male characters, all of which are physically fit and 'attractive' (as far as video games go).

Where's your Bob from Bob's Burgers type character? Why isn't he living in the apocalypse or killing monsters? Because it wouldn't fit that's why.
Tomb Raider has a physically fit female character for the same reason Uncharted has a physically fit male character.

Feminists need to pull their head out their unused vaginas and look at some facts.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
08-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Yea you know and let's just, for a tiny second, consider the physical stuff those characters do. In some way it does make sense that they are muscle packed and slim... Dunno.

Also the only reason I care about this is, that these dumbass "gaming feminists" actually cause the gaming scene to change. But not for the better.

Also about Thunderfoot: I got annoyed at him years ago because he is just bla... blablablabla Not my thing. I don't even care anymore if he makes good or bad points, he just doesn't get my clicks anymore.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
08-09-2016, 06:30 PM
(08-09-2016 05:19 PM)Leela Wrote:  Yea you know and let's just, for a tiny second, consider the physical stuff those characters do. In some way it does make sense that they are muscle packed and slim... Dunno.

Also the only reason I care about this is, that these dumbass "gaming feminists" actually cause the gaming scene to change. But not for the better.

Also about Thunderfoot: I got annoyed at him years ago because he is just bla... blablablabla Not my thing. I don't even care anymore if he makes good or bad points, he just doesn't get my clicks anymore.

Yea I know what you mean. This relates to my thread in the coffee house about how movies put gay things into movies and make a conscious effort to highlight the fact that character X is gay.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
08-09-2016, 07:06 PM
(08-09-2016 06:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This relates to my thread in the coffee house about how movies put gay things into movies and make a conscious effort to highlight the fact that character X is gay.

Reminds me of this SNL sketch

That was nooooormaaaaalllll

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
08-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Feminism in Gaming
Where does anything not belong? From that point on I don't see a contrast.

I've never seen these articles or examinations as any different than a literary analysis. Sometimes you do it from a historical perspective, new historic taking societal ethics into account, or close readings, or Marxist class perspective, or feminist angles, or lgbtq analysis. Either way, it's a goal to argue from a perspective to demonstrate that.

It seems people get mad when anything beyond a close reading or personal experience eloquation is done. That I dont get. I'm not sure why they're unencouraged or valuing wide respect and evaluating critique from any angle imaginable. It isn't science nor the fields of scientific study seeking an unadulterated scope of as near objective ad achievable.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-09-2016, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 11:27 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-09-2016 05:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 02:51 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Can confirm: am male and a life of gaming has turned me into an insecure wreck because all the males are either shirtless bodybuilder gods or suave sexy anime cool boys.

Exactly. This is my problem with feminism, it's one-sided when the issues are NOT one-sided or even favoured towards women.

Remember the big deal made about how Barbie was a false representation of real women?

[Image: vM-y4JNtK1oNqwze_U9Mdhlv4i5pecrYV-dVX5_1...aYNc=w1264]

[Image: Action-Figures_3418545b.jpg]

I've got a bunch of xbox games in front of me, a couple have male characters, all of which are physically fit and 'attractive' (as far as video games go).

Where's your Bob from Bob's Burgers type character? Why isn't he living in the apocalypse or killing monsters? Because it wouldn't fit that's why.
Tomb Raider has a physically fit female character for the same reason Uncharted has a physically fit male character.

Feminists need to pull their head out their unused vaginas and look at some facts.

How often can you play as a not stereo typically attractive man? More so than you can for the ladies.

[Image: latest?cb=20100717140512]

Heavy Rain ^

[Image: latest?cb=20131217020548]

Mario ^

[Image: GTA_Trevor_shout.jpg]

Grant Theft Auto V ^

How often are ladies expected to show more skin and be suggestive? More so than the men.

[Image: ryu_hayabusa_and_rachel___work_out_over_...7hxbua.jpg]

Ninja Gaiden ^

[Image: 7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif]

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ^

Are there still plenty of games that get it right? You bet.

[Image: rathalos_blademaster_relic_thumb.jpg]

Monster Hunter ^

[Image: 3121018-ellie-rifle.png]

The Last of Us ^

Are there games that do good, but maybe fall short in some places? Yep.

[Image: 18j16ohq721mqjpg.jpg]

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ^

[Image: Tracer-Victory-Pose-before-and-after-1080x675.png]

Overwatch ^

[Image: 262188-bioshock-infinite-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg]

Bioshock Infinite ^

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-09-2016, 02:13 AM