Feminism in Gaming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2016, 02:26 AM
RE: Feminism in Gaming
(09-09-2016 02:13 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Feminism is cancer.

You should probably have that case of Hyperbolic checked out by a professional.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-09-2016, 02:27 AM
Fun fact: my cuz was the 'model' for the main character in an version of a popular game. She also did all the voiceovers for the ads of said game. It was weird watching telly then all of a sudden a virtual version of her would pop up with her voice. She's had small parts in quite a few tv shows too and I don't watch 'cause my brain cant seem to separate the actual RL person and the character so kinda spoils it.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
09-09-2016, 02:41 AM
(09-09-2016 02:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 02:13 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Feminism is cancer.

You should probably have that case of Hyperbolic checked out by a professional.
Third-wave feminism certainly is. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-09-2016, 02:45 AM
(09-09-2016 02:41 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 02:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You should probably have that case of Hyperbolic checked out by a professional.
Third-wave feminism certainly is. Consider

Third wave feminists can be, just like open carry conservatives can be, or regularly church attending Christians can be. Dodgy

I'd think that, for someone who spent as much time defending Trump as you did, you might have a better sense for nuance.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-09-2016, 03:01 AM
(09-09-2016 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Third wave feminists can be, just like open carry conservatives can be, or regularly church attending Christians can be. Dodgy

I'd think that, for someone who spent as much time defending Trump as you did, you might have a better sense for nuance.
You need to pay closer attention to the words I use. I didn't say "third wave feminists", I said "third wave feminism." There's a big difference between criticizing an ideology or a movement, e.g. saying that Christianity is cancer, and criticizing people who follow that ideology, e.g. saying that Christians are cancer.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-09-2016, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 03:24 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-09-2016 03:01 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Third wave feminists can be, just like open carry conservatives can be, or regularly church attending Christians can be. Dodgy

You need to pay closer attention to the words I use. I didn't say "third wave feminists", I said "third wave feminism." There's a big difference between criticizing an ideology or a movement, e.g. saying that Christianity is cancer, and criticizing people who follow that ideology, e.g. saying that Christians are cancer.

Yeah, too bad that 'Third Wave Feminism' is a super broad and terribly vague label for a large set of often conflicting opinions. Hyperbole is still hyperbole.

If you'd wrote "Third-wave feminism certainly can be", we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Putting aside my revulsion at the sheer asinine stupidity Anita Sarkeesian spews seemingly every time she opens her mouth, here's a retort to OP's videos, more eloquently explained than I could ever hope to:

09-09-2016, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 02:47 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
If people want to have more "strong, female video game characters" in video games, fine by me. However, I've seen no evidence that a scantily dressed female video game character, for example, is actually harmful to women in real life, or that it causes men to perceive women as "objects", and it seems like nothing more than speculation/conjecture. I think people are generally well aware that what they're playing is a video game and not necessarily a reflection of reality. It just seems like a massive assumption that video games or any kind of media will result in a reduction of empathy for actual people. Maybe I'll take that back, the Kardashians might.

[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
09-09-2016, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 08:41 AM by Loom.)
Guys get oversexualized too. Female roles are growing in strength in video games so I don't see that as an 'issue.'

I don't see anything wrong with either sex having some eye-candy, and game producers are doing more to appeal to both parties. Some games come out with really awesome smexy armour. Fck practicality.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M37340c3f3f1881fa88f7668165b26...;amp;h=300]

^ would she take issue with the armour sets on the right? Or simply focus on the left? I think they all look awesome.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
09-09-2016, 03:36 PM
(09-09-2016 02:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  If people want to have more "strong, female video game characters" in video games, fine by me. However, I've seen no evidence that a scantily dressed female video game character, for example, is actually harmful to women in real life, or that it causes men to perceive women as "objects", and it seems like nothing more than speculation/conjecture. I think people are generally well aware that what they're playing is a video game and not necessarily a reflection of reality. It just seems like a massive assumption that video games or any kind of media will result in a reduction of empathy for actual people. Maybe I'll take that back, the Kardashians might.
Reduction isn't notably shown but lots of studies in contrast to that attempted lately show people and kids who read more literary works or basically any novel like work that internalizes various points of view... have more empathic reactions and feelings about people considered outsiders. Refugees, foreigners to them, or marginalized groups.

The levels of constant excess in these topics is always a confusing one.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post