Feminism in Gaming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 02:35 AM
RE: Feminism in Gaming
Leerob, question. Given that you're transgender, how would you feel if a painting either normalised transgender discrimination or gave minor bit part roles to transgender people, or made it clear that those people were a little bit weird, or expected to fill a particular role - sex object or victim or something? This in the genre of art, not gaming. Would you like the painting? What if there were a general trend in art at the moment, that almost *all* paintings were like that?

And what if someone, not being an artist, not aware of all the culture of artists, made a few comments in a youtube video about the situation seeming rather skewed towards a particular way of seeing transgender people? Would you feel that that person deserved rape and death threats and absolutely must shut up? 'Cos that's what happened with Anita Sarkeesian. She became a byword for the kind of feminist that the far right absolutely hate. The response was very much to shoot the messenger and forget about the message.

Also another question, since you started this thread before you decided to transition, have your views on this changed at all?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
09-10-2017, 02:36 AM
(11-09-2016 12:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That's the problem with third-wave feminists like Anita and EK. The aim of their cause was fulfilled when men and women achieved overall equality in Western societies so they have to invent new feminist issues to stay relevant. Among those non-issues are the wage gap myth, the made-up college campus rape statistics, so-called "manspreading" and female representation in XYZ. Meanwhile women in other countries are still suffering under actual oppressive patriarchies like the Saudi Arabian government. They've really got their priorities straight.

At what point do we stop trying to achieve sexual equality? When we get the vote? When non-consensual sex in marriage is considered rape? When we get equal pay and equal chances at promotion?

Or when we actually achieve equality?

Not least because if we don't fight to maintain what achievements we have gained then we will lose them. it hasn't been a straightforward progression.

Until then, and until we know that equality is here to stay, then there will be a need for feminism. It's not up to you to decide when some other segment of society should stop trying for equal rights.

That's not to say that you don't also have a right to complain, but everyone else will just see it as the broflake whining that it is.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
09-10-2017, 03:32 AM
[Image: WqgpX4g.jpg]

Just so we're all on the same page, the image above (bandied about Reddit and 4-Chan by anti-feminists) is complete bullshit. Girls did not suddenly spring into gaming only a decade ago. Women and minorities have been with the gaming industry since nearly it's inception. It's only in recent history, when the industry has become so large and ubiquitous, have those voices sought to more actively assert themselves within the medium.

Like it or not, a whole hell of a lot of people in the industry are not 18-35 CIS white males, and the same goes for people playing them. The reality that the game industry now has customers crying out for a break from the status quo, shouldn't intimidate or threaten those who enjoy the medium already. It can, and should, expand to be more inclusive.

Nobody is here to take away your chain-mail bikini amazons, but we're going to speak up if that's the only option available.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-10-2017, 08:33 AM
(09-10-2017 01:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 12:42 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Do you really think Leerob has less empathy for women simply because they disagree about the importance of female characters in video games? Laugh out load

This is incredibly dumb.

When he thinks that a female/minority points of view have no place in games?

When he needs to trot out vapid claptrap that amounts to 'shut up, there are children starving in Africa to worry about'?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

I have a friend who's been through a lot and I'm pretty close to her. I support her as much as possible. Do I have less empathy for women because I disagree with you on video games? You're being extremely judgmental. I would think an atheist who considers critical thinking to be so important would recognize that.

09-10-2017, 08:39 AM
(09-10-2017 08:33 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I have a friend...

Some of my best friends are... Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
09-10-2017, 08:40 AM
(09-10-2017 08:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 08:33 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I have a friend...

Some of my best friends are... Facepalm

Yeah, whenever someone has a friend, they're lying, apparently. Another example where critical thinking is being ignored.

09-10-2017, 08:41 AM
(09-10-2017 08:33 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 01:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  When he thinks that a female/minority points of view have no place in games?

When he needs to trot out vapid claptrap that amounts to 'shut up, there are children starving in Africa to worry about'?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

I have a friend who's been through a lot and I'm pretty close to her. I support her as much as possible. Do I have less empathy for women because I disagree with you on video games? You're being extremely judgmental. I would think an atheist who considers critical thinking to be so important would recognize that.

We all have shortcomings and biases.

That you and Leerob seem happy enough in cordoning off this one subject away from a particular form of critique is very telling of yours.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Vera is right. I don't actually have a friend. I totally lied.

Not.

09-10-2017, 08:43 AM
You might like to give that attempt at a witty retort another try Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
09-10-2017, 08:45 AM
(09-10-2017 08:43 AM)Vera Wrote:  Try again Drinking Beverage

You're still assuming I lied simply because it's a common phrase racists use. Just because it happens a lot of the time where someone lies, that doesn't mean it's always untrue. Again, use your critical thinking skills.