Feminism's doublespeak with perpetual victimhood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2015 03:51 AM by Firefly3000.)
RE: Feminism's doublespeak with perpetual victimhood
(25-03-2015 08:23 PM)natachan Wrote:  it made me so angry.

I'm sorry to hear that. By the way, why did you become a feminist? Do you have a husband?

Also, the irish sunglasses photo, I want to make it clear that I have nothing against the irish. They have made wonderful contributions to society, and let's not forget good old St Patrick's day.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2015, 03:59 AM
(26-03-2015 12:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 02:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  Dunno. We gave you carte blanche, rule or no rule. Maybe this is one of them times to use it? Just a thought. That Irish sunglasses thing - who the fuck posts that kinda shit? It shows the calibre of person we're dealing with. He won't get any better.

I'll tell you what MD, you make a good argument. But I gotta tell you, I really don't need to throw the hammer around. You, along with the rest of the awesomeness that is TTAForum, have made this into something positive. You see, we need folks like the op. It reminds us that there is much to be accomplished. When there's still people wandering around with the ridiculous idea that feminism is anti-male because it's called feminism* it shows that we need to keep having these discussions and pointing out how fucked up this kind of thinking is.

*Firefly, feminism is called feminism because it's about making women equal to men. Because they aren't fucking treated that way. I'm a feminist because I want my daughter to have the same opportunities as my neighbours son. And she doesn't. That is a fact. I'm not asking for her to have more opportunities. Just the same. And if ever comes the day when she has more, you can call me a manist(?) because that would be just as unfair.

Dumbfuck.

I'm with Stark 100% on not banning. You don't deal with contrary opinions by silencing them. You deal with stupidity like this with the light of truth and reason.

Btw, I'm an anti-feminist because I want my two sons to have a competitive leg up on 50% of society. I don't like their odds if life is all merit based.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
26-03-2015, 04:22 AM
(26-03-2015 03:48 AM)Firefly3000 Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 08:23 PM)natachan Wrote:  it made me so angry.

I'm sorry to hear that. By the way, why did you become a feminist? Do you have a husband?

Also, the irish sunglasses photo, I want to make it clear that I have nothing against the irish. They have made wonderful contributions to society, and let's not forget good old St Patrick's day.

I never really fit the gender stereotypes expected of a girl. I wanted to at football and frisbee with the boys, games they didn't let girls play. I got into fist fights. Nowadays I'm an engineering major and I work with concrete. I can do work on cars and work with power tools with my fiancé. I can't cook or sew. My brother is a music major who loves to cook and who doesn't know how to change a tire. Why should we be ridiculed based on what we do?

What irks me is that because I am a woman I am treated as less. I am patronized. It is assumed that I am less competent than my male counterparts. I have to be exceptional in order to be recognized for being competent. This is very hard to quantify, it's an intangible attitude.

But some things have made me identify as a feminist. It is not acceptable that a woman can't be out in public without being verbally harassed. It is not acceptable that a woman can't walk down a street alone without feeling afraid. And it is absolutely unacceptable that a woman who is raped is told if he didn't physically beat you to just "deal with it." That a woman who is subject to physical or emotional abuse in a relationship is often without recourse. And to be honest your posts made light of that.

Are there shortcomings in some laws towards men? Yes. Are there social stigmas towards men who don't fit gender stereotypes that need to be addressed? Yes. But overwhelmingly the problems for women are much worse.
[+] 7 users Like natachan's post
26-03-2015, 04:46 AM
OP is just another troll Dodgy Fuck you, stupid troll. We actually have discussions here, we're not here to feed your stupid ego. Fuck off and be a revolting human somewhere else.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
26-03-2015, 04:54 AM
Well, at least now I know natachan is a woman, I always thought you were a man, sorry. Blush

Although to be honest, I have the feeling I had already seen it in the past... Consider

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
26-03-2015, 05:46 AM
(26-03-2015 04:22 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(26-03-2015 03:48 AM)Firefly3000 Wrote:  I'm sorry to hear that. By the way, why did you become a feminist? Do you have a husband?

I never really fit the gender stereotypes expected of a girl. I wanted to at football and frisbee with the boys, games they didn't let girls play. I got into fist fights. Nowadays I'm an engineering major and I work with concrete. I can do work on cars and work with power tools with my fiancé. I can't cook or sew. My brother is a music major who loves to cook and who doesn't know how to change a tire. Why should we be ridiculed based on what we do?

What irks me is that because I am a woman I am treated as less. I am patronized. It is assumed that I am less competent than my male counterparts. I have to be exceptional in order to be recognized for being competent. This is very hard to quantify, it's an intangible attitude.

But some things have made me identify as a feminist. It is not acceptable that a woman can't be out in public without being verbally harassed. It is not acceptable that a woman can't walk down a street alone without feeling afraid. And it is absolutely unacceptable that a woman who is raped is told if he didn't physically beat you to just "deal with it." That a woman who is subject to physical or emotional abuse in a relationship is often without recourse. And to be honest your posts made light of that.

Are there shortcomings in some laws towards men? Yes. Are there social stigmas towards men who don't fit gender stereotypes that need to be addressed? Yes. But overwhelmingly the problems for women are much worse.

I certainly don't ridicule you for doing all those manly things. I'm sure you're as good as the boys, and just as butch. Your fiance must be over the moon with so much testosterone squirting around. What's her name, anyway?
26-03-2015, 05:48 AM
(26-03-2015 04:54 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Well, at least now I know natachan is a woman, I always thought you were a man, sorry. Blush

Hey, let's all use gender neutral pronouns!
26-03-2015, 05:50 AM
(26-03-2015 04:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  OP is just another troll Dodgy Fuck you, stupid troll. We actually have discussions here, we're not here to feed your stupid ego. Fuck off and be a revolting human somewhere else.

I do have feelings you know. You might want to think about that before hurling abuse like that.
26-03-2015, 05:54 AM
[Image: 715656539_1633024.gif]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
26-03-2015, 05:58 AM
(26-03-2015 05:54 AM)Nurse Wrote:  [Image: 715656539_1633024.gif]

[Image: feminists.jpg]